New European club competition...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck em, as Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 said it would soon become pretty boring the same teams all playing each other, with no sense of jeopardy in relegation. It’ll just be a more glorified version of that International Champions Cup nonsense. The matches won’t be exciting as there isn’t anything really to play for. If we get left in the Premier League, surely we’ll have more chance of winning that and I’d rather see us playing the likes of Brighton, Huddersfield and any other English side in the league.

Another thing to consider is the ticket increase that would happen as a result. How long before no working class fans can afford a ticket then from the how long until Manchester United move from Manchester to India when thats where all there fans are or no team has a home stadium they just all move around the world?

Sucking the soul out of football and as much as I love spurs if we ever did this shit I would stop folllowing us out of principle.

The overseas tv revenue for the EPL, and some of the sponsorship hype would get sucked into the new league, so EPL and individual team revenue would drop somewhat.
It seems some fans of the founder clubs hate the idea as well. It would evolve into a spectator experience like with F1.
The new superleague would need 10 years or so to really build momentum to make it exciting to see who wins.
Will the matches still be well attended? Younger people now are less inclined to stand in the cold, and more likely to watch on a pirate stream.
For the players: if this league is attracting the top players, they'd have to get used to playing for just money since the likes of PSG won't win it for a while. It kind of dampens the ego of a top dog baller if he's just padding the numbers as opposed to competing. (On a whole level above what is already the case for smaller teams in the leagues)

The format is ridiculous.
Say that Inter finish above AC Milan, but because they are a "guest" they have to play a qualifier to stay in the league but Milan can never be relegated no matter how shit they are.
If you are Inter why would you sign up for that? It is humiliating.

If this happens, I would be done with football, period. I know that's a shit thing to say, but I promise, I would walk away from the whole thing. Fucking ridiculous.

Let them form their breakaway, tell them they are no longer part of their associations, UEFA, FIFA and their players are no longer considered eligible to play for their nations.

Will soon discover who would be happy to fund their league and existence and their only draw is playing highly uncompetitive football for a trophy that has zero prestige.

If this happens, I would be done with football, period. I know that's a shit thing to say, but I promise, I would walk away from the whole thing. Fucking ridiculous.
Mate, I’ve hated football for the last 20 years. I only watch Spurs’ games these days. Levy is a massive cunt and we’re a laughing stock. Poch reminds me of the butler in Remains of the Day.

Another thing to consider is the ticket increase that would happen as a result. How long before no working class fans can afford a ticket then from the how long until Manchester United move from Manchester to India when thats where all there fans are or no team has a home stadium they just all move around the world?

Sucking the soul out of football and as much as I love spurs if we ever did this shit I would stop folllowing us out of principle.
I don’t think it would be a thing of principle that would make you not follow, there would be such a void made without links to history. Without the excitement and fear that losing a few games in the spin can cause because the jeopardy has gone. You simply wouldn’t recognise what you were following.

I don’t like the idea of the super championship. I'm traditionalist, it's great to see the big teams in the provincial cities.

Last edited:
Let them form their breakaway, tell them they are no longer part of their associations, UEFA, FIFA and their players are no longer considered eligible to play for their nations.

Will soon discover who would be happy to fund their league and existence and their only draw is playing highly uncompetitive football for a trophy that has zero prestige.
The division of the sport might end up like Olympic boxing vs pro boxing, one set of pros gets average money, plays in national leagues and world cups while another set gets mega money in the superleague.
Or the spilt between rugby Union and League, with differences in the rulebook. FFP wouldn't exist, nothing to stop them all hoarding up a squad of 30 top players.
You can't really stop out of contract players from moving to super league, yet if they run down their contract with eg barca and have no other options would they remain barred from the classic system?
On another note it sounds similar to the invite only club world cup, it guaranteed the same set of clubs a number of years in the competition.
The likes of Milan are a bit behind now, but with the amount of money they'd earn, it's enough to rebuild soon enough and leave Inter behind.
The 20 year membership is too long, it might be a starting gambit - a 5 year period would make it more interesting.
The EPL breakaway wasn't the same situation, we kept the pyramid system in place.

Last edited:
This would be amazing if it takes off. We'd win the quadruple every year. The tournament would then go bust and they'd all have to come crawling back to the FA and rejoin through the conference. The goons would never get out of the conference (they've never once been promoted). And by the time the rest get back to the top we would already have cemented our place as the dominant team in europe: bring it on!

I don’t think it’s a shit thing to say. There’s a breaking point in all things. As much as we’d love to believe our passion for Spurs is unconditional, there will be things that on a personal level are too big to overcome.

For some it would be having some seedy Saudi billionaire owner taking over. For others it might be the redesigning of the club football format to favour a select few. Judas becoming our manager would definitely see me going on hiatus from all things Spurs.

To be honest, I’m already going through the motions in a lot of ways. I said that the moment Chelsea win the CL and the Sheik Mansour team win the Prem I’d realise how empty and soulless modern football had become, and that moment came and went (at our expense, no less). Since then there have still been several great highlights for Spurs, but I rarely get particularly emotional about football - win or lose. The last time I genuinely felt emotional about us was the WHL finale. Maybe the new stadium will rekindle that...just in time to be snuffed out by a pathetic new format that excludes millions of fans across Europe for the sake of a few.

If this new league actually happens I honestly hope the whole of professional football collapses. United, Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool, and the Sheik Mansour team would then only be remembered for killing off one of the great entertainments of human history.

Back
Top Bottom