New European club competition...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t think it’s a shit thing to say. There’s a breaking point in all things. As much as we’d love to believe our passion for Spurs is unconditional, there will be things that on a personal level are too big to overcome.

For some it would be having some seedy Saudi billionaire owner taking over. For others it might be the redesigning of the club football format to favour a select few. Judas becoming our manager would definitely see me going on hiatus from all things Spurs.

To be honest, I’m already going through the motions in a lot of ways. I said that the moment Chelsea win the CL and the Sheik Mansour team win the Prem I’d realise how empty and soulless modern football had become, and that moment came and went (at our expense, no less). Since then there have still been several great highlights for Spurs, but I rarely get particularly emotional about football - win or lose. The last time I genuinely felt emotional about us was the WHL finale. Maybe the new stadium will rekindle that...just in time to be snuffed out by a pathetic new format that excludes millions of fans across Europe for the sake of a few.

If this new league actually happens I honestly hope the whole of professional football collapses. United, Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool, and the Sheik Mansour team would then only be remembered for killing off one of the great entertainments of human history.

Perhaps but you could look at it another way. With the 5 gone and all the international nonsense that comes with it English football might actually be able to go old school somewhat.

What remains of the English league can reform and perhaps promote English players, teams can win the title without spending 3 billion, the FA cup might become the great trophy of yesteryear.

Getting City, United, Arse, Chavs and Pool our might take with it all the bolloxs that’s ruined football. Long as those 5 never have any way of coming back to English football.

Think of Tottenham as English league champions while Woolwich sit bottom of the international fancy pants league.

sun.jpg

They're just hankering for a bigger slice of the cake and less international fixtures. The owners of the English clubs in parricular aren't stupid, they know the PL is a great brand and one that brings in untold riches.

Not going to happen.

They're just hankering for a bigger slice of the cake and less international fixtures. The owners of the English clubs in parricular aren't stupid, they know the PL is a great brand and one that brings in untold riches.

Not going to happen.

A bigger slice of the cake is more dangerous then them forming a new league. We have seen what happens with La Liga when clubs get unequal TV money. Other clubs need to stand firm and say feck off, plenty of massive clubs could fill the holes they leave. Leeds, Nots Forrest, Aston Villa for example are just as big as artificial shit such as Man City and Chelsea

A bigger slice of the cake is more dangerous then them forming a new league. We have seen what happens with La Liga when clubs get unequal TV money. Other clubs need to stand firm and say feck off, plenty of massive clubs could fill the holes they leave. Leeds, Nots Forrest, Aston Villa for example are just as big as artificial shit such as Man City and Chelsea

100%, the 5 leaving to a European Super League will kill them as club as it will destroy their fan bases (at least domestically) but if they just use it as a means to get a big pie it fucks us and everyone else over.

It looks like a bit of kickback from the Spanish teams - where previously they had a huge portion of la liga money, now they have to share it out based on merit.
As for the German clubs - don't their supporters have more say over what goes on. The supporters who are used to cheap season tickets will see their game being diluted.
Juventus must have reached peak tv income, and they see this as the only way to grow. The president agnelli didn't agree with FIFA club world cup, probably because he had this up his sleeve

Perhaps but you could look at it another way. With the 5 gone and all the international nonsense that comes with it English football might actually be able to go old school somewhat.

What remains of the English league can reform and perhaps promote English players, teams can win the title without spending 3 billion, the FA cup might become the great trophy of yesteryear.

Getting City, United, Arse, Chavs and Pool our might take with it all the bolloxs that’s ruined football. Long as those 5 never have any way of coming back to English football.

Think of Tottenham as English league champions while Woolwich sit bottom of the international fancy pants league.
Would that mean West Ham becomes our defacto London rival? Or do we overlook them for the sake of Fulham/Palace? :allitongue:

Let them form their breakaway, tell them they are no longer part of their associations, UEFA, FIFA and their players are no longer considered eligible to play for their nations.

Will soon discover who would be happy to fund their league and existence and their only draw is playing highly uncompetitive football for a trophy that has zero prestige.
That's literally what they want...

This needs to be killed in infancy otherwise we’ll have the Euro league situation as in basketball. Kick them out of the PL for a year

I don’t need to get drastic measures in my opinion. It's politics and the big clubs clearly have an important weight: it isn’t by chance that they changed the formula of the Champions League giving more space to the most important Championships.

On the positive side, if City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United and Woolwich all fucked off we would win the Premier League.

Relatively hollow victory?

One could argue that would be little more than a trumped up version of the championship.

Hate the term, but to get this far to then have our bollocks cut off for non footballing reasons... Would be Spursy as fuck (also see City's doping pushing us back down the pecking order).

There's no upside to this shit.

I don’t need to get drastic measures in my opinion. It's politics and the big clubs clearly have an important weight: it isn’t by chance that they changed the formula of the Champions League giving more space to the most important Championships.
Strictly speaking if it does happen UEFA laws demand the expulsion of the clubs from the domestic leagues

Strictly speaking if it does happen UEFA laws demand the expulsion of the clubs from the domestic leagues
The issue of the super league has been talking about it for many years. In my opinion, the big clubs are using it to make decisions. It's just politics.

I like the Juventus match - Manchester United but it's also nice to see the party you see for an Empoli - Juventus or Frosinone-Juventus. It's the beauty of football: David against Goliath.

Would be a hollow victory though in my opinion. Could we claim to be the best team in England?

Yes because the 5 would basically no longer be English teams, they would have sold out.

If the go it will destroy them, their international fanbase will love it but domestic fan of the likes of City will completely turn off and without any passion it’s gone. Main thing is if they go they don’t get a chance to return, you leave the English league you leave forever, it will kill them. Woolwich 15th in some close ended American style league, BYE.

The issue of the super league has been talking about it for many years. In my opinion, the big clubs are using it to make decisions. It's just politics.

I like the Juventus match - Manchester United but it's also nice to see the party you see for an Empoli - Juventus or Frosinone-Juventus. It's the beauty of football: David against Goliath.
The super league is cancer. And politics is a two edged sword. Ban them for a year and see how their negotiating point weakens

Yes because the 5 would basically no longer be English teams, they would have sold out.

The value of the trophy will be depleted regardless of such technicalities.

If the go it will destroy them, their international fanbase will love it but domestic fan of the likes of City will completely turn off and without any passion it’s gone. Main thing is if they go they don’t get a chance to return, you leave the English league you leave forever, it will kill them. Woolwich 15th in some close ended American style league, BYE.

....None of that helps the mess left behind.

Back
Top Bottom