New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ajax is a great example of how the modern game has changed the world of football. I remember when Ajax were still a European Giant, but the game is all about money now, and the Dutch League just doesn't have it.,

As an Ajax fan, do you think FBD is a good fit for Spurs, and Spurs a good fit for FDB?

He is a great coach. I think Vitesse, psv and maybe even twente and feyenoord have better players if you compare them one on one. Slight differences though. Ajax played mainly decent but won cause they broke down teams with passing game. All from the organization, not based on the skills of one player/ striker. When he took over ajax was the brink of collapsing; financially, organization wise and even technically (depending on suarez, huntelaar etc.)

Now we got 4 titles

80m on the bank.

We havent bought any player over 4m (think maybe 4 players of 2-4m)

Makes semi decent players like blind and schone top players

Salarycap of 1m

Pbb 10 youth players in the squad

Average squad age is 23

Never ANY trouble in the dressing room (fdb put el hamdaoiu, a 2m a year striker on the bench in his first game; only he ever bitched (look at him now lol)

Always great with the media (when its shit, he says its shit. Never puts down players unless needed for motivation purposes) Hardly ever bitches about the ref

Lose best players every year; never complaints, even proud/ happy for them

So yes, he is fucking great and deserves a statue if he stays. Downfall at spurs would be kinda obvious; crazy expectations, no time to build up the team (he was youth trainer first so he knew all young players well). He should demand a 40m clausule if he gets fired. He is not in it for the money; fuck, he pbb agrees donating it to unicef

I struggle to understand some of our fans negativity. Seventh best squad? What a load of bollocks. I would say Man City and Chelsea have better squads,ours is comparable to Arsenals and better than Liverpool, Man Utd and Everton. We got 69 points this season despite being spectacularly mis-managed all season and bedding in seven new players with no EPL experience plus Townsend and Rose were new to the first team squad having been out on loan previously.

If I was an ambitious young manager I would look at that squad and I would rub my hands together thinking I could mould it into something special.

We don't need to make wholesale changes just a bit of tweaking a quality left back,a good centre back and maybe a new striker depending on Adebeyor.

Besides we are TOTTENHAM FUCKING HOTSPUR one of the most prestigious clubs in world football let alone in the EPL. There are only a handful of managers in world football we couldn't attract. The elite. The rest? They'd bite your hand off to manage this great club.

For me it has to be an all out push for FDB. I can't believe that people aren't making more out of what he has said in the media over the last month.

Essentially you have a title winning manager (Eredivisie blah blah) who has publicly stated he has no interest in joining a prebuilt champion but wants to take a sleeping giant and do something exceptional with them.

I mean, come on, that is exactly the attitude and mind set we are crying out for. It is in fact exactly what we are always asking of our players... To commit to building something great instead of choosing the easy option and jumping ship as soon as a bigger club comes calling.

The guy has practically let out a battle cry that he is ready to take a failing, big club and drag it back to where it should be... How can you not be turned on by that? Add to that his heritage and prestige and the type of player that can attract and he is the perfect candidate.

So he has no experience in the Prem? Are we kidding ourselves that with the changes that will happen this summer we are mounting a serious campaign next season?

Let the guy bed in for a season and be a bit more long sighted and by 15/16 we will have one of the most ambitious and highly thought of coaches in world football with a team he has had a year to work with and a year of Prem experience himself.

I genuinely don't care who it is. I just want the majority of fans to get behind a guy completely for the first time in years.
I don't know who is the outstanding candidate from the available names so I will say good luck to whoever gets the job. They are going to need it.

Unfortunately, it shows the wide difference between us and Man U. They get rid of Moyes and identify their man and get him signed up ASAP. We take forever identifying who we want.

On a side note, its funny about Giggs. He is just starting out in his managerial career and has jumped at the chance of being a number two and learning his trade.

Sherwood - " I aint interested being a Number 2. If I dont get the job, I am off". Cunt

I can only presume that you been have watching a different group of players to me. Take Eriksen and Loris out, and you are left with complete averageness. Apart from the two I mentioned, can you honestly see any of the others playing for a top four side. Perhaps Vert, but that's only when he feels like it.

No, we don't attract the top managers, and this is why. One miserable league cup in how many years? A chairman that any self respecting human being wouldn't want to work with. A NET Kitty of zero £s. The only reason any manager would come to us is for relatively big wages.

You should stop thinking like a supporter, and be more objective.

Like I said we have a squad that has been managed incredibly badly been hit with more than our fair share of injuries and still achieved a 69 point tally. Imagine what a quality manager can do with them. I certainly don't think it would be too much of a stretch to think another 10 points could be added. Look at Athelitco Madrid this season. No one looks at their squad and thinks it's better than Barcelona or Real Madrid but they have an outstanding manager who gets everything he can from his players.

If our new man whoever it may be can foster that sort of team spirit who knows where we may end up?

And all football managers get sacked. It's a fact of football life. So I'm not sure why anyone would refuse to work for Levy. Also what's wrong with Spurs being a financially prudent club? Would you rather be a Portsmouth or QPR who spent money they didn't have? Not for me thanks.

This is a good read on Pochettino. What he did at Espanyol is much more impressive than it looks on the surface.
http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-hotspur-manager

I remember listening to an interview with Greg Stobart who writes for Goal about Spurs in February or March. This was when it still looked like LVG was going to come in and there was a discussion about Dutch players that might come in. The interviewer suggested perhaps Kevin Strootman would be the perfect answer to our midfield issues. What Greg said which I thought was very smart was that if we want a guy like Strootman we need to buy him when he's leaving PSV, not after he's proved himself to be a big time player at Roma. That is simply the reality of being a club of our size and in our financial situation, we need to buy players on their potential to take a step up rather than ones who have already proved it. For example: Berbatov, Modric, Carrick, Eriksen, and Vertonghen. These are guys that looked primed to take the next step and have. We need to identify and scout well and buy at a tier lower than some of the clubs we are competing with just because of our size.

Why I bring this up is because it is the same with managers. We've been linked to the likes of Ancellotti, Klopp, Simeone, Mourinho (two years ago) etc but we all know that's nonsense. Instead what we need to be doing is finding the next Ancellotti, Klopp, or Simeone. That's where the club needs to be smart in their studies, fact-finding, and interviewing. They need to identify who is the next big thing. That may require us to take a punt on Pochettino, De Boer, or Tuchel.

That's why the LVG scenario was so tantalizing because he was a manager with a history that actually matched our ambition. But ultimately our financial size is much lower than our footballing ambition and that puts us in a spot where we lack the ability to attract a coach that has proved it at the level we would feel comfortable.

In the end, it is extremely unlikely that our manager will have an unassailable resume. I could pick holes through Pochettino, Benitez, FDB, Tuchel, Moyes etc etc. Our ambition outweighs our pull for the most part. We just have to hope that the club has found it's homework and they select someone who they believe is a good fit at the club both tactically and personality wise.

There is no sure fire blueprint for success. We just have to hope we find the next big thing. We've done it with players, now it is time to do it with a manager.

Ajax didn't win the Eredivisie for six years before FDB came in and he won four on the trot while selling his best players every year. The six years before this three other teams won it, so there was no big rival suddenly disappearing either. And this was the first time ever Ajax won four in a row too.

Soooo not just a hipster.

I'm not sure why lots want FDB. It's not like he's won a dogfight over there with the level of the also rans.

It's like being a British Amateur Wrestling standout. On the world stage at top level you will get really tested. Esp if he does not know the opponents inside out. I mean Celtic beat them in the group stages.

I would not be really disappointed if we got him, but he's not that experienced. I suppose I am a gutted there is scant news on the Martinez front.
Hmmm... I wonder why? Maybe because I have a better chance of spontaneously teleporting to the moon than we do of getting Martinez.

In terms of realistic candidates FDB is by far the best. Whilst people delude themselves with talk of Ancelotti and Martinez they're never going to be satisfied.

Love it how you guys all consider ajax a smaller club. What have Spurs won? Ajax got 4 CL cups, 32 titles, europa cup 2, uefa cup, 2 worldcups. Everybody acknowledges their historic influence on the game. Raised player like cruijff, van basten, sneijder, kluivert (too lazy to type them all) Spurs latest starlets have Ajax written all over them and they are far from having any historic impact on ajax (eriksen, verthongen, vdv).. Played CL 4y in a row..

Yet ajax is the smaller team

And the fucked up thing is that you are fucking right too :memeokay:

I will say now what I said before AVB was appointed. I want to see a manager bought into the club who will be backed, by the exec, the team and just as importantly the fans.

Too many reactionary vocal people on all fronts for my liking. The one game mentality needs to go, whoever comes in needs backing even if we are bottom of the league at Christmas.

Time is the one luxury I want any new manager afforded to us.

I would prefer a younger manager with drive and ideas (matinez, fdb, pinochio, etc) as opposed to elder statesmen.

But the fans need to get back to the 'love the shirt' regardless of who is appointed. After all that is why TFC existed in the first place, to love the shirt, not hate the manager/players/chairman.

Time and love is all I want.

And I will undoubtedly be dissappointed once again this time next year, ho hum.: ostrich:

Remember when avb came in and the boos started in his first home game I think, against Norwich, then the same again against west Brom? It was unbelievable really. Levy probably makes jokes on the Fighting Chairmen board about mercurial Spurs fans hyping managers up then calling for their head a game later...

Levy should be stronger in regards to not sacking managers but I think the fanbase has had a significant role with the firings. There was a very heavy AVB out sentiment at the end. We need to take it upon ourselves to get vehemently behind whoever the manager is so we avoid what has happened these last six months.

Personally none of the current linked managers match what I would expect to be the ambition and goals of the club. I can't see Poch or FdB firing us to top 4, Levy has to get realistic, go big or go 5th.
Frank De Boer not ambitious enough? Are you kidding me? Four Eredivisie titles at Ajax. Playing experience at Ajax and Barcelona.

He's shit hot mate, he'll be a top manager in world football one day

For the long term, FDB has authority, experience and an attacking blueprint. Benitez would seem to be a good option in terms of stabilising the ship, but doesn't excite me. Pinocchio seems too much like previous managers- done ok elsewhere, might be the next big thing, but won't last two seasons and will end up coaching in Azerbaijan.

The three reasons why we have to go all out for him...

Back
Top Bottom