New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Suspect it's more for council licensing conditions than owt else

This is true... I was with my 3 grownup sons on a Wednesday night v Southend in League cup quarter final. We had seats in the old WHL, east stand upper, last row.
We were asked to sit down despite the whole Park Lane End were standing and no one behind us. We stood a couple of times and were thrown out and membership card confiscated. When I asked for it back I was told sorry we have to eject a few people each match to keep Haringey council happy!

I wonder if other clubs have the same issue? Every home stand in the country constantly stands up. I don't get why we are being targeted?

Loads of clubs do. United have the biggest problem I believe with the powers that be.

And spurs will issue a few bans to show the authorities they take it seriously.

Not sure why people are surprised about it. Used to get asked to sit down Park Lane Lower all the time. No difference here at all.

Still shit though - I get asked to sit down after standing up for 10 seconds.
Taken to running a stopwatch and then asking a steward to explain the meaning of “persistent” to me. Some take it as a laugh. Others not so much.

But I don’t really want to get banned. Rather just sell my seat tbh.
Especially as no one even sits behind me!!

Yeah but we know that would never happen, the amount of money a match day brings to the local area is unreal, no chance the council would ever jeopardise that
Think it's the SGSA as well as the council. They've got no real incentive to support our local area, whereas if we were seen to be openly tolerating standing in a brand new ground with lots of attention on it they'd look useless (they ARE useless but got to keep an image up!). It's the same as it's ever been, we need a change in the law, the club seem pretty open to standing areas once that happens.

Not sure why people are surprised about it. Used to get asked to sit down Park Lane Lower all the time. No difference here at all.

The difference is that the club installed safe-standing rail seats for if/when safe-standing is introduced. Is there more standing in the South now than at the old Lane? Probably not, but the authorities may think that the rails (and therefore the club) are encouraging standing and making it more difficult for the stewards to get everyone to sit, which was always impossible anyway.

It wouldn't surprise me if the club decide to (or are told to) remove the rails until (or if) safe-standing is given the go ahead. Can the rails actually be removed or would the seats have to be ripped out and replaced with standard ones?

I don't think its the PL in this case the clubs would prefer safe standing now but the Government / councils are too scared to change in case of any accident in the future. We probably do police it more than others but we are more efficient at most things compared to other clubs too.

Its crap, I cant believe (well I can) that people who get tickets in PL complain when people stand. Thing to remember here safe standing is only the first (1/3rd?) of PL, even after safe standing this issue will keep going but just move further back the stadium.

I can see why people complain to be honest, but I think we need to be sensible about things too.
I've got issues with a recurring knee injury that make it difficult for me to stand for long periods of time. Sometimes I can go to a game and it won't affect me at all, other times I'll have to sit for the full 90 minutes. I've paid good money for my ticket so why should I have to then spend 90 minutes looking at someone's back instead of being able to see the game?
Also at the moment it's set up differently to the standing terraces I went to as a kid. Back then the adults use to try and send the kids to the front so that they could see the game, but now people standing stay where their seat is. If it stays that way when safe standing comes back in it's definitely going to turn families and kids off as they just won't be able to see the game. It'll go back to being an old boys club or worse still it'll be stadiums full of tourists or corporates. We need to be capturing the future generations not putting them off.
I'm not against standing on the whole and I think the south stand would be amazing as a standing terrace, but we do need to also have options for those that can't stand or don't want to.

I can see why people complain to be honest, but I think we need to be sensible about things too.
I've got issues with a recurring knee injury that make it difficult for me to stand for long periods of time. Sometimes I can go to a game and it won't affect me at all, other times I'll have to sit for the full 90 minutes. I've paid good money for my ticket so why should I have to then spend 90 minutes looking at someone's back instead of being able to see the game?
Also at the moment it's set up differently to the standing terraces I went to as a kid. Back then the adults use to try and send the kids to the front so that they could see the game, but now people standing stay where their seat is. If it stays that way when safe standing comes back in it's definitely going to turn families and kids off as they just won't be able to see the game. It'll go back to being an old boys club or worse still it'll be stadiums full of tourists or corporates. We need to be capturing the future generations not putting them off.
I'm not against standing on the whole and I think the south stand would be amazing as a standing terrace, but we do need to also have options for those that can't stand or don't want to.

We have. They are called the North Stand, the East Stand & the West Stand, In other words 72.6% of the whole ground.

Understand your point of view, but anyone in that position has a simple solution when safe standing comes in; don't buy a ticket for the safe standing areas. Once these areas become official, enforced sitting in the regular seated areas will be even stricter

At the moment though standing is not allowed so 100% of the stadium should be usable by those who can't or don't want to stand. There are many reasons why standing could be an issue, but it doesn't make them any less of a fan as some people in here seem to think it does. At the moment they're within their rights to expect to go to a game and know that they'll be able to see most of it.

If/when safe standing comes in the club needs to make sure that when people are buying tickets they can see whether they're buying for a standing or seated terrace. That's all I'm saying.

I find constantly sitting and standing worse for my back injury. Much better to just stand, rather than every-time there is a bit of action all standing, then sitting before the Stewards burst a blood vessel, then repeat god knows how many times a game.

We all knew where we were in Park Lane lower and the Shelf . It is the johnny come lately's wanting to be in the middle of the atmosphere, but not contribute for fear of dropping their match-day snack of choice, that are kicking off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom