New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And also, the 1882 section definitely hasn't helped. Where I sit is very central in the south stand and there is very little singing around me. Quite a lot of moaning though. I do try, but you feel a complete tit when no one joins in. I think the club need to seriously let people start moving their ST spots if we are to stand a chance of creating an atmosphere during games like Saturday. If you had a pocket of even a few hundred people who want to sing and cheer regardless it would catch on more times than not I reckon. As it is it's just too spread out. We haven't got 17,000 regular singers to fill the south stand, so lets concentrate those who will being together?

Barely heard a "thing I like most" against Sheff U. It seems to be getting worse. Probably just a symptom of the footy on the pitch getting worse.

One other thing, I always get nervous when "Oh when the..." breaks out because we often seem to concede during it. Happened this weekend again.

We should save that song for when 4-0. Not 1-0. It relaxes everyone. Makes theplayers think theyve already won.

I cant be arsed anymore either. Football used to compete with the pub and the cinema. Now, as you say, it competes with easyjet/ryanair holidays. Id rather top up my tan than moan at Aurier.

Thats why the atmosphere is shit. Too many people are priced out.
People have always been priced out, from the day they started charging to watch football, someone was priced out.
It's now competing with the theatre. A family of 4 is going to pay a similar amount to go a decent west end show.

People forget, off the pitch, we ain't competing with city and, to a lesser extent, the chavs. They have financially doped, and in the case of city since FFP, outright cheated. We are competing with man u, Woolwich and the dippers. Weve caught one. The others will be a damn site more difficult

As for being treated like theatre goers, well, compared to the way we were treated in the 80s...

People have always been priced out, from the day they started charging to watch football, someone was priced out.
It's now competing with the theatre. A family of 4 is going to pay a similar amount to go a decent west end show.

People forget, off the pitch, we ain't competing with city and, to a lesser extent, the chavs. They have financially doped, and in the case of city since FFP, outright cheated. We are competing with man u, Woolwich and the dippers. Weve caught one. The others will be a damn site more difficult

As for being treated like theatre goers, well, compared to the way we were treated in the 80s...

Its nothing like the theatre. No football fan goes to the theatre. It competes with lads trips to amsterdam and malaga now

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Football matches in 2019.

Not the 80s. Not the theatre. I guess it’s more the culture. Just having fun at a football game. Imagine that.

I would love to move to Holland. Amsterdam arena looks great. Used to enjoy going to PSV when I was over in Eindhoven a lot too.

The only time I stopped going was when the "outside world" had to take priority and I just couldn't justify the cost of a season ticket until I got things sorted out. Things are easier now, and up to this season, have looked forward to going to games, even if the rot has set in at the beginning of the year. Purposely make all my other plans around the fixture list, as I really don't want to miss a home game. But I'm now feeling it's more of a chore than a pleasure, and a little resentment has creeped in. Apprehension rather than hope before a game, if you know what I mean.
I enjoyed the Red Star game (might have been the three vodkas I had before the game), but that's been about it. Mixture of pain, boredom,disbelief and resignation, with the odd feeling of relief {Southampton, Villa}, watching our team at the moment.
Still enjoying the novelty of the stadium, it is a thing of beauty, but that will wear off if we don't get the football side of things sorted.

Just console yourself with the thought that any future successes will seem that bit sweeter if you've endured some bad points along the way.

If you move down the leagues then the game is still similar, the football is shit but the ethos is there.

(*this isn't a "if you don't like it fuck off post")

yeah the last few years have been involved at step 5. Had to pull away a bit this season due to loads of other stuff going on. Level of commitment from all involved is phenomenal tbh.

Was good to be reminded why I fell in love with football as a kid.
Not just Spurs the game itself.

Hi All, I am currently doing a research project on the regeneration of Tottenham, new stadium and gentrification of football. I can already see there’s been some discussion on this thread that will prove useful but I do have a few questions below. Any answers/comments will be useful even if you are just answering one question or just making a general comment then it will help and be much appreciated.
  • 1. In what ways has the crowd/ types of people that watched football changed over the years?
  • 2. Has the move to the new stadium impacted the crowd/types of people at games?
  • 3. What is the atmosphere like at the new stadium compared to the old? Why do you think this is
  • 4. What is your opinion on the ticket pricing of the new stadium compared to the old?
  • 5. Overall has the new stadium move positively or negatively impacted your overall experience of watching football and why?
  • 6. What is your opinion on the regeneration of the surrounding area to the stadium? What do you see being the positives and negatives of it?
  • 7. Do you feel that Tottenham Hotspur should have a key role in owning and developing land in the surrounding area?
I know there's a lot there so please don't feel a need to answer every question, general comments in relation to any of the above topics will be helpful.

Hi All, I am currently doing a research project on the regeneration of Tottenham, new stadium and gentrification of football. I can already see there’s been some discussion on this thread that will prove useful but I do have a few questions below. Any answers/comments will be useful even if you are just answering one question or just making a general comment then it will help and be much appreciated.
  • 1. In what ways has the crowd/ types of people that watched football changed over the years?
  • 2. Has the move to the new stadium impacted the crowd/types of people at games?
  • 3. What is the atmosphere like at the new stadium compared to the old? Why do you think this is
  • 4. What is your opinion on the ticket pricing of the new stadium compared to the old?
  • 5. Overall has the new stadium move positively or negatively impacted your overall experience of watching football and why?
  • 6. What is your opinion on the regeneration of the surrounding area to the stadium? What do you see being the positives and negatives of it?
  • 7. Do you feel that Tottenham Hotspur should have a key role in owning and developing land in the surrounding area?
I know there's a lot there so please don't feel a need to answer every question, general comments in relation to any of the above topics will be helpful.

Fuck off, you fat bastard.

1. Got much, much older. Youngsters have been priced out. More gentrified because the working classes are too much hard work for the club.

2. Yes. People want a theatre going experience and not to sit near people like me.

3. Worse because of expectations.

4. Ridiculously expensive.

5. Negatively. See above.

6. In favour of regeneration. Negatives - gentrification. Positives - you with be able to buy a nice Mochachoccocino with a vegan tofu baguette for £11.95.

7. Yes.

1. Got much, much older. Youngsters have been priced out. More gentrified because the working classes are too much hard work for the club.

2. Yes. People want a theatre going experience and not to sit near people like me.

3. Worse because of expectations.

4. Ridiculously expensive.

5. Negatively. See above.

6. In favour of regeneration. Negatives - gentrification. Positives - you with be able to buy a nice Mochachoccocino with a vegan tofu baguette for £11.95.

7. Yes.
Couldn't have put it better myself!

Just console yourself with the thought that any future successes will seem that bit sweeter if you've endured some bad points along the way.

I do think people overlook that. Every now and then in my lifetime Spurs have tasted success. But not that often.

I think right now the fact we came so close, but ultimately have nothing in terms of trophies, is hurting the most.
And if we feel that way I can appreciate the coaches and the players having similar emotions.

Back
Top Bottom