New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So are you a Covid denier? It sounds like you either don't think there is a virus or you think it's as easy as not letting over 50's do anything?
What if a bunch of under 50's at the game are also Ocado delivery drivers taking stuff to over 50's houses?

Of course I'm not a Covid denier - I'm a pragmatist, if the supposed cure is actually worse than the disease then don't take it - lock-downs now would almost certainly do more harm than good, the original lock-down wasn't to cure Covid there is no cure, it was simply to delay the spread of Covid so that the NHS could cope - the NHS is now running at about 50% capacity there is simply no need for another lock-down, in fact the sooner the NHS restarts routine non-Covid medical care the better.

This isn't guesswork there is ample data to support this - just look at this latest graph. Sure in April a lock-down to support the NHS made sense (personally I think the Swedish option was better) but how the feck does it make any sense in August?

31920924-0-image-a-60_1597346347482.jpg

The death count is actually horribly wrong.
They admitted recently that anyone that tested positive and died is in there.
The caveat is that they may have recovered from Covid months before and got run over by a bus. But they're in the stats.
They really, really need to break those stats out ASAP to show the true mortality rate.
For the record - I'm not in the panic and fear camp. The virus is what it is.
The camp I am in is the one that lets us get back to normality sooner, rather than hanging this shit out. IMO, lockdown finished too soon, it was relaxed and people took the piss.
That's why cases are on the up and why yet more restrictions are coming in.

Libertex, a leading international trading platform, has become the Club’s Official Trading Partner.

The new multi-year partnership will see Libertex have a presence across the Club’s growing digital channels and LED perimeter advertising system. Libertex will have the opportunity to offer Spurs fans and their existing clients access to private stadium tours, exclusive events and premium matchday hospitality at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, when fans can safely return to stadia.

Libertex, a leading international trading platform, has become the Club’s Official Trading Partner.

The new multi-year partnership will see Libertex have a presence across the Club’s growing digital channels and LED perimeter advertising system. Libertex will have the opportunity to offer Spurs fans and their existing clients access to private stadium tours, exclusive events and premium matchday hospitality at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, when fans can safely return to stadia.

I thought they were a pop group

If they can recommend a good Ponzi scheme I can get in on early, then I’m game. I’m assuming Joe has given it his personal endorsement?

The death count is actually horribly wrong.
They admitted recently that anyone that tested positive and died is in there.
The caveat is that they may have recovered from Covid months before and got run over by a bus. But they're in the stats.
They really, really need to break those stats out ASAP to show the true mortality rate.
For the record - I'm not in the panic and fear camp. The virus is what it is.
The camp I am in is the one that lets us get back to normality sooner, rather than hanging this shit out. IMO, lockdown finished too soon, it was relaxed and people took the piss.
That's why cases are on the up and why yet more restrictions are coming in.
They did it weeks ago and took 5k off the death figures. Now has 28 day limit after catching the virus.

Question. Is the government compensating professional sports for banning supporters. It would be reasonable to assume each match is worth £1m in revenue. We could in theory go years with no fans and that’s a lot of revenue lost. Football has rules (no laughing) around financial fair play and gate receipts are a big part of that. So if Government policy is stopping a business earning millions of £ does the government have to compensate? And are they doing so ?

edit - to be clear ! Don’t misunderstand my post please. I am not saying the government is right or wrong. It is not a judgement call. I am just curious as to the financial impact of the situation. Purely a question. No slant / angle or opinion inferred by asking it.

Last edited:
Question. Is the government compensating professional sports for banning supporters. It would be reasonable to assume each match is worth £1m in revenue. We could in theory go years with no fans and that’s a lot of revenue lost. Football has rules (no laughing) around financial fair play and gate receipts are a big part of that. So if Government policy is stopping a business earning millions of £ does the government have to compensate? And are they doing so ?
You're not serious?

You're not serious?
Don’t misunderstand my post please. I am not saying the government is right or wrong. It is not a judgement call. I am just curious as to the financial impact of the situation. Purely a question. No slant / angle or opinion inferred.

I’ve added an edit above so that it’s clear. I am just curious as to the ins and outs.

(personally I think the Swedish option was better)

Please elaborate. It really makes me curious when I read that people are positive with regards to the Swedish approach. Their economy did not fare much better than the economies in neighbouring countries, if I am not mistaken. The death toll in Sweden is 22 times that of the death toll in Norway with 1.9 times the population. They have had to practice social distancing. They have had empty stadiums. The risk for people in the risk group has been much more severe. The number of people that have been ill have been much higher, with the short-term and long-term effects that that has had.

What are the amasing upsides that negates all of the above-mentioned downsides?

Please elaborate. It really makes me curious when I read that people are positive with regards to the Swedish approach. Their economy did not fare much better than the economies in neighbouring countries, if I am not mistaken. The death toll in Sweden is 22 times that of the death toll in Norway with 1.9 times the population. They have had to practice social distancing. They have had empty stadiums. The risk for people in the risk group has been much more severe. The number of people that have been ill have been much higher, with the short-term and long-term effects that that has had.

What are the amasing upsides that negates all of the above-mentioned downsides?

Depends what you believe ... you won't have all the facts for moths. This is a very good article showing why the WHO and it's ludicrous predictions scared governments into totally false responses and why Sweden's approach can't yet be seen as a measurable success ...

Sweden’s Actual COVID-19 Results Compared to What Modelers Predicted in April | Jon Miltimore

however with every passing week as countries all over Europe see large rises in cases Sweden is not seeing any increase at all ... since July Sweden has seen in total less than 100 deaths from Covid, a 7 day moving average of just 1 ... they went through the pain now they are seeing the gain.

The biggest upside was that routine medical, dental, and social-care carried on as normal throughout 2020, that didn't happen in the UK and there will be a huge price to pay somewhere down the line for that failure.

Were they right? only time will tell but for sure they are in a far better position today than the total clusterfuck that the UK has become.

For those interested in the regeneration of the area in Tottenham, a formal announcement of the granting of planning consent has been issued for the B&M Site.

In short its a further 330 flats together with various amounts of public and ancillary space.

http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=1436441

and also comes with its own section 106 agreement

http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=1437530

Planning permission usually lasts for 3 years, question for Spurs is going to be when is it sensible to start the build process. Been a bit of a marathon but Spurs now have a few sites with planning (eg The Goods Yard) and planning in principle (flats/hotel on the stadium site adjacent to the South podeum).

Worth commenting that Spurs have already completed the building (with Newlon Housing) of Brook House and Berland Court with 500 White Hart Lane being built in partnership with Fairview - in total some 600 odd flats, in contrast to Harringey Council who have yet to start to build in the area despite having been able to start work at same time as Spurs started the stadium build !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom