New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure why that's important. As a member of Camra though you can rest assured it's not carlsberg or fosters!

I think neck oil is horrid, no big deal, think you should probably move on.
It was relevant because I thought you might say one of those dreadful lagers. Chill your boots, I was only asking. It turns out it was worth doing so to understand where you're coming from, and now I do.

I ditched my Camra membership a few years ago. Got fed up of the stuffiness and lack of progressive views within the core membership, although my local committee seem a bit more open minded, to be fair to them, and they organise a cracking beer festival every year.

I think the very heavily US influenced 'craft beer' influx in the last 5-10 years has left Camra quite conflicted. I hope it's not to their detriment long term, but I do think they need to recognise a lot of the great new independent innovative brewers for what they are. There might be a lot of keg beer in that scene, but the ethics behind it are in sync with the original ethics behind Camra. The real fight is against big brewers buying out all the great independents and snuffing out innovation.

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of what I'm saying, whilst defending part Heineken owned Beavertown :mourhandlaugh:

Last edited:
I've said for a long time that the club should buy any pub in the area that is going to be otherwise lost.

The demand might only be there for match days - but they have the economies of scale and access to staffing to still run them and make money.

They wouldn't even need to 'brand' them, just do it quietly and maintain an amenity for fans that don't want to drink in the stadium.
I'd also say fans that will likely do both. But by having them they cater for everything, fans that want pubs, fans that will go to both and a local community (if opened during the week).

But if an area is to be redeveloped as planed, whilst it's great there's a stadium at the heart of it, nothing speaks more to forming a community that a good, well-run boozer at it's heart.

In "normal times" many pubs were going to the wall, this was primarily driven by the Breweries fucking themselves by charging their tied tenants' absolute fortunes for rent and hamstringing them to only selling their product, also them cashing in on a rising property market and making a mint off their portfolio of properties, even if they were shite and run down.

Whilst all this was going on (perhaps there were too many pubs in the first place??) there has also been a renaissance, driven largely but independents, buying up old victorian pubs, doing them up and selling their own craft beer, focusing more on quality food/coffee etc. (Even in Tottenham there's been one The High Cross, which was an old public toilet!!!).

If I were at Spurs I'd do exactly as you say, buy them all up, use the Foundation to train and employ staff, create each one as a community hub, each with say a football team (using Foundation Trained local coaches), rename everyone after a Trophy-winning manager and legendary figures from the Club like Ripsher, Buckle (and others of the founding team), Harry Hotspur, Walter Tull and even Ehiogu who was a Hackney lad and who's name could still be used as an inspiration for local black lads to focus on football etc..

Will the Corner Pin be a game changer ?

I assume it will be completely modernised/new inside and lose any 'rat hole' like features (cost £250k - £500k ?).

Would that encourage more people to go out and patronise it (not just shifting from the Beehive ?

Of course some will not like either Beavertown beers or its pricing, but if there is local demand surely this gets a number of punters in ?

Why do you think The Beehive, The Bluecoats and the Elbow Rooms get the trade they do ? And why do more people not go there - is it that they all need a refurbishment to a more modern day standard ?

And if the Corner Pin, The Beehive, The Bluecoats and the Elbow Rooms are barely viable with local trade, why re-open any other pubs in the area ?

I highly doubt it. The further north you go up the High Rd the worse it gets. You're not going to get locals going in there and you're not going to get people travelling to it. It's going to be an event day pub and no more. That could all well change if they ever do sort out the Love Lane estate and THFC do build their current 2 accepted housing developments.

Elbow Rooms get's ample local trade due to being the cheapest boozer around. Beehive more than viable with local trade.

I live in Tottenham so I can attest to this but you may be surprised to see how well the Beehive does.
Love The Beehive, it was great during the World Cup.

What's the High Cross like mate, 100% looks like a place where you need to wear a handlebar wax tach or beard, tweed and bake sourdough bread. Asking for a friend as that description isn't me at all....

tenor.gif

Been a while since I went in the Corner Pin, (obviously) but I seem to remember it being quite small. Unless there were further rooms out the back?

What's the High Cross like mate, 100% looks like a place where you need to where a handlebar wax tach or beard, tweed and bake sourdough bread. Asking for a friend as that description isn't me at all....

tenor.gif

hahahahha

To be honest I've only been in a handful of times but they've done a great job on the conversion and they seem to have a really loyal customer base. I understand the management are great and never heard a bad word about them.

It was relevant because I thought you might say one of those dreadful lagers. Chill your boots, I was only asking. It turns out it was worth doing so to understand where you're coming from, and now I do.

I ditched my Camra membership a few years ago. Got fed up of the stuffiness and lack of progressive views within the core membership, although my local committee seem a bit more open minded, to be fair to them, and they organise a cracking beer festival every year.

I think the very heavily US influenced 'craft beer' influx in the last 5-10 years has left Camra quite conflicted. I hope it's not to their detriment long term, but I do think they need to recognise a lot of the great new independent innovative brewers for what they are. There might be a lot of keg beer in that scene, but the ethics behind it are in sync with the original ethics behind Camra. The real fight is against big brewers buying out all the great independents and snuffing out innovation.

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of what I'm saying, whilst defending part Heineken owned Beavertown :mourhandlaugh:
Yup, ditched my membership.. for the same reasons.

What's the High Cross like mate, 100% looks like a place where you need to wear a handlebar wax tach or beard, tweed and bake sourdough bread. Asking for a friend as that description isn't me at all....

tenor.gif

The High Cross is good - unbelievable bar snacks

I'd also say fans that will likely do both. But by having them they cater for everything, fans that want pubs, fans that will go to both and a local community (if opened during the week).

But if an area is to be redeveloped as planed, whilst it's great there's a stadium at the heart of it, nothing speaks more to forming a community that a good, well-run boozer at it's heart.

In "normal times" many pubs were going to the wall, this was primarily driven by the Breweries fucking themselves by charging their tied tenants' absolute fortunes for rent and hamstringing them to only selling their product, also them cashing in on a rising property market and making a mint off their portfolio of properties, even if they were shite and run down.

Whilst all this was going on (perhaps there were too many pubs in the first place??) there has also been a renaissance, driven largely but independents, buying up old victorian pubs, doing them up and selling their own craft beer, focusing more on quality food/coffee etc. (Even in Tottenham there's been one The High Cross, which was an old public toilet!!!).

If I were at Spurs I'd do exactly as you say, buy them all up, use the Foundation to train and employ staff, create each one as a community hub, each with say a football team (using Foundation Trained local coaches), rename everyone after a Trophy-winning manager and legendary figures from the Club like Ripsher, Buckle (and others of the founding team), Harry Hotspur, Walter Tull and even Ehiogu who was a Hackney lad and who's name could still be used as an inspiration for local black lads to focus on football etc..
Think that idea in the last paragraph is a cracking idea

It'll never happen

Tis a great idea.
Imagine the club owning a stake in just 10 boozers in the area. Men and womens team from each, playing on Sundays for the Tottenham Hotspur Trophy, each team guaranteed one game at the ground. Make it so only locals can play for the teams. As Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 said, proper coaching, provided by the club, , pitches paid for (money to the local council). It would be a first, and proper community work.

Back
Top Bottom