New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good quiz question there, what are the 13 club grounds that are bigger?

Without googling...

Old Trafford
Camp Nou
Bernabéu
Metropolitano (Atleti)
Bayern
Dortmund
San Siro
Olympic Stadium Rome
PSG
Estádio da Luz (Benfica)

That's ten, so three guesses:
Dynamo Kiev
Spartak Moscow
Olympic Stadium in Athens (if teams play there) ???

How did I do?

Edit: One wrong I think... No, two at least
:saha:

Pretty sure that the San Siro and the Olympic Stadium in Rome are due a change whereby Inter, AC, Roma and Lazio get new digs so we’ll end up even higher up the list of biggest stadium in Europe.

Without googling...

Old Trafford
Camp Nou
Bernabéu
Metropolitano (Atleti)
Bayern
Dortmund
San Siro
Olympic Stadium Rome
PSG
Estádio da Luz (Benfica)

Dynamo Kiev
Spartak Moscow

How did I do?

Betis? Marseille? Schalke? Stuttgart? zenit?

Does anyone have a link or information on our stadium financial situation how much has been paid and much we owe etc, I need it to settle an argument.
gus sorola omg GIF by Rooster Teeth

Without googling...

Old Trafford
Camp Nou
Bernabéu
Metropolitano (Atleti)
Bayern
Dortmund
San Siro
Olympic Stadium Rome
PSG
Estádio da Luz (Benfica)

Dynamo Kiev
Spartak Moscow

How did I do?

PSG = Parc des princes , 48000 slot.

Stade de France (80k) is not used by any club ..

Does anyone have a link or information on our stadium financial situation how much has been paid and much we owe etc, I need it to settle an argument.

Impossible question to answer as the cost of the stadium itself is all but impossible to distinguish for cost of shop or other things on the northumberland development (as the stadium site is called).

Equally the stadium is funded via a number of debt note secured on all the assets of the company, so not only on the stadium.

The current thread on the clubs financials which might be useful if you want detail is here :
Management - Tottenham Hotspur Financials - Year to 30 June 2020 | The Fighting Cock - Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) Forum

If you want some headlines from the last accounts as at 30 June 2020 :

'At the year end the cost of the Club’s property assets were £1.54bn (ie stadium plus shop, training ground etc)'.

With this backdrop the Club refinanced its debt portfolio extending it to an average maturity of 23 years and bringing the weighted average interest rate down to 2.67%. At the year end the Club had net debt of £604.6m '

The most straight forward statement to answer your questions would be :

Spurs have already paid for circa 60% of the property assets costing £1.54 bn, and the balance of £600m (ie debt) is payable over the next 23 years with lump sums being required to be paid at various times starting in about 15 years and the last payment in about 30 years. Over this time interest only is payable at low rates - cost each year less than £20m so easily affordable from the extra income from the stadium.

To add items that might confuse, there are a number of housing developments including 600 flats just off the plaza at the south end of the stadium site which have yet to be built which will add to cost but should generate a profit when sold - and no doubt part of those profits will be used to pay down part of the (current at 30 June 2020) £600m debt.

Last edited:
I'm no accountant but it seems to me that our debt is at almost free interest rates currently.
I'm confident that Levy will manage any possible future problems in the competent way he has dealt with the club so far.

I'm no accountant but it seems to me that our debt is at almost free interest rates currently.
I'm confident that Levy will manage any possible future problems in the competent way he has dealt with the club so far.

Interest rate on the debt averaging 2.67% isn't quite interest free, but given the stadium generates lots of additional profits from both extra seating, £1m+ per game food and drink sales so even extra match day profits covers the interest costs, let alone extra commercial income.

And not having to pay the debt back from years to come means we can (providing we spend sensibly) spend money on the squad for a few years, as well as other things helping to regenerate the local community including work done by the Tottenham Foundation means we are in a very good place.

The pandemic is obviously affecting our finances severely as we have no match day income, but even if we do not get get fans back in the stadium this season, whilst not good news, its not a financial disaster - most other PL clubs's finances will be in a worse state than Spurs.

But until we do get crowds back in the stadium I cannot see too many big transfer fees being paid by most clubs

Impossible question to answer as the cost of the stadium itself is all but impossible to distinguish for cost of shop or other things on the northumberland development (as the stadium site is called).

Equally the stadium is funded via a number of debt note secured on all the assets of the company, so not only on the stadium.

The current thread on the clubs financials which might be useful if you want detail is here :
Management - Tottenham Hotspur Financials - Year to 30 June 2020 | The Fighting Cock - Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) Forum

If you want some headlines from the last accounts as at 30 June 2020 :

'At the year end the cost of the Club’s property assets were £1.54bn (ie stadium plus shop, training ground etc)'.

With this backdrop the Club refinanced its debt portfolio extending it to an average maturity of 23 years and bringing the weighted average interest rate down to 2.67%. At the year end the Club had net debt of £604.6m '

The most straight forward statement to answer your questions would be :

Spurs have already paid for circa 60% of the property assets costing £1.54 bn, and the balance of £600m (ie debt) is payable over the next 23 years with lump sums being required to be paid at various times starting in about 15 years and the last payment in about 30 years. Over this time interest only is payable at low rates - cost each year less than £20m so easily affordable from the extra income from the stadium.

To add items that might confuse, there are a number of housing developments including 600 flats just off the plaza at the south end of the stadium site which have yet to be built which will add to cost but should generate a profit when sold - and no doubt part of those profits will be used to pay down part of the (current at 30 June 2020) £600m debt.
Excellent thanks

Spurs still progressing the redevelopment of Tottenham.

Items for information for next scheduled Planning Meeting of Haringey Council in February

major sites list to February committee 2021.pdf (haringey.gov.uk)

1 Goods Yard White Hart Lane , 867-879 High Road & Banqueting Suite 819-821 High Rd

Proposal to amend previous proposals for Goods Yard and 867- 879 High Road and new development on Banqueting Suite site. Part of High Road West Masterplan Area.

Pre-app meetings held and advice note issued.

FYI the Banqueting Suite building is a deep plot/building which would link the Goods Yard to the High Road.

On this site 867-879HighRoad.ExhibitionMaterial.pdf (867-879highroad.co.uk) which is for the B & M site, the Goods Yard is the triangular site (virtually levelled and used to store construction materials for building the stadium) beside the railway whose tip adjoins the site outlined in red on this site. The Banqueting Suite plot I think is the long building stretching from the High Road to the triangular site.

No details are provided as to the scheme but logically the Banqueting Suite building would provide a route out from the Goods Year site (currently all traffic has to go via the B&M site I think).

However the Banqueting Suite is formed of 819 and 821 (Both Grade 2 listed) and 823 - 829 (locally listed). It is possible the plan is to knock down the 823-829 building to provide a wide road through to The Goods Yard whilst renovating the Grade 2 building - or its possible that Spurs have also bought 831-839 (buildings next door to Banqueting suite going north to wards B & M site) with the proposal being to knock down the 20th century buildings to create road access to the Goods Yard whilst thoroughly renovating 819-829.

Clarity as to the plan will only arise when planning permission is applied for taking into account the pre-planning application advice received.

2 Northumberland Terrace 790-814) High Road, Tottenham, N17

THFC proposal for 2,700sqm (GIA) of A1/A2/A3/B1/D1/D2 floorspace and refurbishment of the Listed Buildings fronting the High Road.

Resolution to grant given at Oct 2020 Committee. Negotiations on the legal agreement are ongoing.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what happens when fans are allowed back in at a high capacity and if the stadium will sell out.

A fair proportion of our ticket sales do end up with tourists, and with no international travel the turnstiles could potentially be quite quiet.

I’m speculating here - but, there is also a good chance that there will be even more rules, like photo ID with your ticket, masks, and even “no jab, no entry!!” :thumbdown:
This could put off another group of fans.

It will be interesting to see what happens when fans are allowed back in at a high capacity and if the stadium will sell out.

A fair proportion of our ticket sales do end up with tourists, and with no international travel the turnstiles could potentially be quite quiet.

I’m speculating here - but, there is also a good chance that there will be even more rules, like photo ID with your ticket, masks, and even “no jab, no entry!!” :thumbdown:
This could put off another group of fans.
STs have already been asked to upload photo ID, I assume that will be extended.

Back
Top Bottom