New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We had engagements even during the finance stage - that is a well known fact

He had 3 years min prior to Covid to resolve this - also a fact

You make it sound like not having a sponsor and missing out on 30/40m per annum is a good thing?
Stadium naming rights aren't worth £30-40M, that was never on the cards. Stadium sponsorship is a dwindling market. We missed that bubble, not many people are interested anymore as companies are seeing that plastering your name on a stadium gets you fuck all return, really. Many stadiums in the US, the most marketing obessessed country on the planet, have seen companies paying millions to terminate their agreements early.

Even then, SoFi is only paying £20M/yr for the naming rights to a stadium that cost $5.5B and will host the Olympics in 8 years.

If we were to get a stadium sponsor, it'd be £10-15M/yr maybe. Which is why we don't have one. At that contribution I'm very happy to just carry on with Tottenham Hotspur Stadium until we just revert to WHL. And Levy is likely content to have it in the pocket to sell on potential additional income for prospective Spurs buyers.

Stadium naming rights aren't worth £30-40M, that was never on the cards. Stadium sponsorship is a dwindling market. We missed that bubble, not many people are interested anymore as companies are seeing that plastering your name on a stadium gets you fuck all return, really. Many stadiums in the US, the most marketing obessessed country on the planet, have seen companies paying millions to terminate their agreements early.

Even then, SoFi is only paying £20M/yr for the naming rights to a stadium that cost $5.5B and will host the Olympics in 8 years.

If we were to get a stadium sponsor, it'd be £10-15M/yr maybe. Which is why we don't have one. At that contribution I'm very happy to just carry on with Tottenham Hotspur Stadium until we just revert to WHL. And Levy is likely content to have it in the pocket to sell on potential additional income for prospective Spurs buyers.
My friend sponsors Reading’s ground - if they are ever promoted to the PL (unlikely), the annual fees increase to c.5.M

Maybe the SoFi deal is so small because sponsors fear within 10 years or so both the Chargers and Rams will relocate again.

:pochsmirk:

Also, the Olympics thing is a non issue as the stadium sponsor might not be on the approved Olympic list so will need an alternative name.

Stadium naming rights aren't worth £30-40M, that was never on the cards. Stadium sponsorship is a dwindling market. We missed that bubble,
It absolutely was - right after completion when our stock was high and we had CL finals coming up

We missed the bubble because of Levy's greed - nothing else. Also - comparing the PL, most viewed football league to some shit-cunt US sports nobody watches is simply laughable

Stop spinning this massive revenue stream loss into a positive - it's a major fuck up

Last edited:
There most probably was a point 2 years ago when our stock was higher and potential for naming rights would have been better. From what I remember we were looking for £25-30million a season.

The attached article a few pages back, apart from the Etihad at £400 million over 10 years there is nothing close. That deal was a state sponsored sham so we can't compete with it. There are no other European comparisons unfortunately to show any differences in the football market.

"Generally you have to look across the Atlantic for other potential comparisons. Here are the top 10 naming rights deals for US stadia. The data is from Forbes, and I’ve added the annual value.

0*vo6L6rHoCoNibzUC.

As you can see, there is nothing that comes close to the £40m per year that Manchester City have from Etihad, while only two deals break the annual $20m mark."

I would agree that Levy was probably greedy and wanted as much as he could get but the £30/40million that according to you that he missed out on doesn't stand up to any scrutiny. Unless we were to get the money from Qatar trying to improve their image before the World Cup or the Saudi's trying to broaden their image we wont get close but those options are really unpalatable.

What I'm trying to get at is that there might have been decent options but from the wrong companies or the right companies not wanting to pay enough but no one actually knows for sure.

Hopefully there will be a new startup investment bank called White Hart Lane that has a meteoritic rise in the world of finance and is able and willing to stump up the same levels of cash that financial dopers funnel into clubs under the guise of “sponsorship”. Then Mr Levy can say he did a good job.

It absolutely was - right after completion when our stock was high and we had CL finals coming up

We missed the bubble because of Levy's greed - nothing else. Also - comparing the PL, most viewed football league to some shit-cunt US sports nobody watches is simply laughable

Stop spinning this massive revenue stream loss into a positive - it's a major fuck up
The US is literally the home of stadium sponsorship. 95% of stadia over there have sponsors. If we're going to look to anywhere as an example of what we can do, then that's where we ought to be looking. Especially as our stadium hosts NFL, and we've likely been looking towards the US market for a sponsor.

If the stadium naming rights market is dying on it's arse over there, it's hardly the time to expect to be generating huge money from the same thing over here.

Seriously though I doubt you'd be able to take that in.

Could be seen as a weapon? They don't allow caps on bottles.

There was a bad drop pre covid in the school by the south stand (I think?), may need a call/email to the TO for advice.
I think they now have a bag drop along Park Lane. Near to the underground car park entrance.

Seriously though I doubt you'd be able to take that in.

Could be seen as a weapon? They don't allow caps on bottles.

There was a bad drop pre covid in the school by the south stand (I think?), may need a call/email to the TO for advice.
The email says, "Helmets, puncture kits and removable seats can be brought into the stadium." As many removable seats have the pillar attached (mine does), I too think it needs clarifying.

Back
Top Bottom