New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We haven't had time to see if the team benefits. It certainly hasn't yet in any way shape or form, but covid happened.

In a post pandemic world we have no chance of a record breaking deal. Who is paying hundreds of millions with the possibility the stadium is empty the next time a new respiratory illness emerges. Covid opened a can of worms we'll never close.

Only time will tell where that money goes.

You're talking about 1 off matches, none of which were finals so other than points or progression, we got nothing.
Meanwhile City have overtaken us as one of the most successful teams in England in the space of 14 years. Since the start of the 15/16 season we have won some games against them and they have won 3 League titles and are on their way to 4, 5 league cups than we have in our history.
Beating them and winning fuck all isn't competing with them.
Why are you getting your knickers in such a twist?

I'm talking about a series of matches over a SEVEN year period where they are the out and out dominant force in the country breaking almost every record that's ever been set in the history of the game. They have blown the two biggest clubs in England (who we are also two of the biggest in Europe) completely out of the water in the process. The context to which I posted was that out of the other also-rans (which we all are) we've "held out own".

One of those games was a FINAL, which we lost, it was only last year mate surely you can remember that far back.

I didn't say we were "competing" with them. I said, "I don't see any other team challenging them, let alone us".

No, the team has already benefitted, the summer after the move we spunked a ton of money, and look at our financial situation to teams like Everton and Leicester - and several others who have been hit by the economics of covid harder than we have (you can even look at Liverpool who weโ€™ve outspent in the last 3 years I think).

We might not be using money wisely, but we are using it, and the point Iโ€™m making is, itโ€™s better to have it to use, than not have it, regardless of if it comes from football or NFL or anything else.
The summer after the move was after 2 windows of signing no one and Poch showing signs of discontent.

Why are you getting your knickers in such a twist?

I'm talking about a series of matches over a SEVEN year period where they are the out and out dominant force in the country breaking almost every record that's ever been set in the history of the game. They have blown the two biggest clubs in England (who we are also two of the biggest in Europe) completely out of the water in the process. The context to which I posted was that out of the other also-rans (which we all are) we've "held out own".

One of those games was a FINAL, which we lost, it was only last year mate surely you can remember that far back.

I didn't say we were "competing" with them. I said, "I don't see any other team challenging them, let alone us".
Who cares if we beat them in games? That's not competing. We're so far behind them in that regard we may as well be in another league.
Woolwich at their best used to regularly get beat/drop points against Bolton
Does that mean Bolton were competing with Woolwich?

Err I don't think we are AT ALL challenging city Bit worried that you think getting a result against them in one off matches but winning nothing is a challenge. Christ thus clubs fans have zero standards no wonder Levy still in charge
I said, "No other clubs are challenging them, let alone us".

Within that context, I said, "we've held own". That's about as much as I think we can do, other bigger clubs have chucked over a Billion and a half quid each at them and are miles off them.

The summer after the move was after 2 windows of signing no one and Poch showing signs of discontent.

No. The summer after we moved to new WHL and the sausage rolls had started to flow was when we spent 150m or so. The summer of fuck all was Wembley.

None of which changed the point. Itโ€™s stupid whining about where the money comes from if it all benefits spurs.

I said, "No other clubs are challenging" them, let alone us".

Within that context, I said, "we've held own". That's about as much as I think we can do, other bigger clubs have chucked over a Billion and a half quid each at them and are miles off them.
We have not held anything mate, wake up. Norwich have beat them in one off games! I means nothing. Pep knows it. He shrugs they win the next twelve and we get gubbed by Palace. Its not a challenge which is sustained in any way. Oh and Liverpool HAVE competed with them. And then saying "No clubs challenging" then why post them silly one off results? Which gives the very strong impression that is exactly what you really kind of think.

No. The summer after we moved to new WHL and the sausage rolls had started to flow was when we spent 150m or so. The summer of fuck all was Wembley.

None of which changed the point. Itโ€™s stupid whining about where the money comes from if it all benefits spurs.

18/19
No signings in the season at Wembley in either the summer nor winter windows.
Net spend ยฃ13m profit

19/20
First full season (until covid) at the new stadium
ยฃ86m net spend over 2 windows

Average spend over 4 windows ยฃ18.25m

Tottenham 1-0 Man City CL Q/F
City 4-3 Tottenham Q/F
Spurs win on away goals
City 2-2 Tottenham PL
Tottenham 2-0 City PL
Tottenham 2-0 City PL

City 3-0 Tottenham PL
Tottenham 0-1 City League Cup Final
Tottenham 1-0 City PL

Since knocking them out of CL we've won 4, lost 2, drawn 1.
Since the start of the 15/16 season, we've won 7; drawn 2; lost 7 (but one of those 7 defeats was the 4-3 in CL Q/F which meant we won the fixture over two legs on away goal) and finished above them in the league twice. (Only other teams to have finished above them over the same period has been Chavs and Liverpool once each).

We've held our own against the most powerful football club on planet earth.

I don't see any other team that's challenging them, let alone us.
Everything in this post is you saying we have or are competing with City

Tell me I'm reading it wrong.

We have held anything mate wake up. Norwich have beat them in one off games! I means nothing. Pep knows it. He shrugs they win the next twelve and we get gubbed by Palace. Its not a challenge which is sustained in any way. Oh and Liverpool HAVE competed with them.
We've held our own, in fact, I think we've overperformed against expectations against them given the two clubs resources.

Liverpool has barely competed with them, over the 7-year time frame I listed. It's been two close seasons in this period, they are miles off them this season. We've finished above City more times than Liverpool have in this timeframe.

We aren't competing, Liverpool are barely competing. No Clubs are really competing with them. They are dominating and are set fair to do so for many, many more years to come.

We've held our own, in fact, I think we've overperformed against expectations against them given the two clubs resources.

Liverpool has barely competed with them, over the 7-year time frame I listed. It's been two close seasons in this period, they are miles off them this season. We've finished above City more times than Liverpool have in this timeframe.

We aren't competing, Liverpool are barely competing. No Clubs are really competing with them. They are dominating and are set fair to do so for many, many more years to come.
Liverpool have won the title and the champions league.

Unless you think this sentence is code for we're smashing them.

"I don't see any other team that's challenging them, let alone us".
Liverpool won the title. Chelsea won the title. Leicester won the title. Liverpool won the champions league. Chelsea won the champions league. Woolwich have won the fa cup. Leicester have won the fa cup.

Meanwhile we've won nothing.
Nothing at all.

Back
Top Bottom