New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There is more level ground around the flag though...
old_trafford41.jpg
That looks like a right dog's dinner

Our corners have always been crap, I always laugh whenever a commentator talks about Eriksen's great deliveries...

To be fair - it's not just us. Every club moans about their corners.

I imagine we've scored more goals from corners than 3/4s of the Premier League this season though.

Theres a stat about how few goals are actually scored direct from corners, by that i'd take it to be corner header goal. no idea if it includes corner flick on goal. but then stats are bollocks anyway so why did i just waste .00000009234 of my life typing that...

Theres a stat about how few goals are actually scored direct from corners, by that i'd take it to be corner header goal. no idea if it includes corner flick on goal. but then stats are bollocks anyway so why did i just waste .00000009234 of my life typing that...

Yeah - I can imagine direct from corners is probably low, your delivery has to be near on perfect, missing the 8 or so players defending the box and landing on one of the 6 or so men in the box on your team that's being marked.

If a goal from a corner counts under the umbrella of flick ons, short corners etc. then we have scored 8 goals from corners this season in all competitions, which is pretty damn impressive considering how "impossible" they seem to be.

Can't imagine many teams in the league have scored as much as that.

For those that went, can I assume that no one spotted fixings behind the goals that looked suitable for cuntish "we've scored a goal plastic no proper atmosphere" flag waving cuntery?

For those that went, can I assume that no one spotted fixings behind the goals that looked suitable for cuntish "we've scored a goal plastic no proper atmosphere" flag waving cuntery?
Again, wasn’t looking hard but from memory there was barely enough room for one person to stand and wave a handkerchief, let alone a flag and fireworks.
Which is awesome.

edit : I actually have reasonable picture that shows this but being old, I’ve no idea how to post it from my phone.

Last edited:
Don't know if this has been discussed with the flurry of messages in the past few weeks but is there any reason a first team fixture couldn't be a test event? Obviously with reduced capacity but a reply v Tranmere/Southport and/or a league cup semi final could help get us in for the Dortmund 1st leg...

A bit late with my thoughts from yesterday...

The main thing (which I know a couple of others have said already) is how much it feels like old WHL once you are out in view of the pitch. I genuinely don't know how they have done it, but it somehow feels like a much bigger, smarter version of the old ground, rather than an entirely new ground. It might have something to do with how close you are to the pitch - I'm in Row 50 in the South Stand compared to spending last season at Row 30 something behind the goal at Wembley, and you feel closer to the pitch at the new ground.

I'm not doing a great job of expressing that, but I think everyone will understand when they get in there.

Inside the concourses, it feels completely different to the old ground - it's far more modern, much lighter (so much glass, everywhere, on the outside). The Market Place itself has the feel of an upmarket shopping centre food court, which is a good thing and a bad thing. It doesn't really feel like the inside of a football stadium, which is bad because it feels a little weird, but good because the inside of most football stadiums tend to be run down rubbish. As others have said, I would worry that the Market Place might be heaving on match days, as it felt rather full with some lengthy queues even with just the 3,000(+) in there. That said, I didn't see anyone really using the Tap Inn's on the second floor concourse, which looked like they were serving pies, burgers and sausage rolls etc. as well as beers, and the third floor food option was not open. We couldn't get up onto the fourth floor concourse, but I assume that they would also be doing some food and beers. So that means that the South Stand will have 25 places you could grab a pint - including the Beavertown Tap Room (which is awesome, especially being able to see into the brewery itself) and the Goal Line Bar (which is massive - it's obvious that a 65m bar is massive, but I didn't really appreciate the scale of it until yesterday. And at 23 of those you will be able to get something to eat.

Again, as others have said, pricing is fair on the booze - it's "London expensive" but not more expensive than a typical pub, so no cause for complaint. The food is around the same price as Wembley but, on my sample from the Chicken House and generally looking around, quality seems higher (and the ridiculously tiny portions of Wembley seem to have been avoided).

Ultimately, it's better than I can possibly have imagined. Levy gets some grief, but they have done an absolutely remarkable job on this. They've managed to combine all of the "comforts" of a modern stadium - better quality food, decent beer, space and light in the concourses - and decent looking toilets! - without either (a) massively overcharging on a match day or (b) losing the atmosphere in the "bowl". It's absolutely incredible - and as some others have said they did to, I welled up when I thought about going to the first game with my Dad, and hopefully bringing my own kids in the future (when I have any to bring...).

COYS

Don't know if this has been discussed with the flurry of messages in the past few weeks but is there any reason a first team fixture couldn't be a test event? Obviously with reduced capacity but a reply v Tranmere/Southport and/or a league cup semi final could help get us in for the Dortmund 1st leg...

I think that the problem would be that there is a reasonable risk of a test event having to be called off/abandoned, and the FA/PL would not let us run that risk...

Back
Top Bottom