New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Different crowd wasn’t it. Loved those types of nights . No one was in the south stand with a pizza on their lap!

Football is moving on. Like life does. Nice to reminisce anyway!
Different supporter base. Weren't such entitled bastards back then, who felt top 4 was a bare minimum goal that showed no ambition and whinged incessantly about not spending hundreds of millions of pounds on transfers or not winning everything under the sun.

We played good football and enjoyed turning over "the big four" whenever we could. This discussion is about the great atmosphere at a Europa League game ffs, a competition that's generally come to be regarded as not even worth our time now.

This discussion is about the great atmosphere at a Europa League game ffs, a competition that's generally come to be regarded as not even worth our time now.

And one we will surely be heading back to at some point.

UEFA cup final night at the Lane probably one of the greatest memories for plenty of our fans as well.

Circles.

I just hope when we do end up back in the Europa we give it a proper go and our supporters enjoy it rather than moan the whole time.

Some will. Be nice to give it a proper go anyway. Not done that for a while.

But the club fanbase is very different now. Exocet cheap EL tickets will be good for families and you get fans. And supporters of the opposition.......

Plus expect a lot of ST holders won’t go due to money.

And a lot of the newer fans will be dismissive so probably stay away

Corporate wise people aren’t interested in the EL just the CL.

So to sum up. Who knows?

I've been going to 95% or so of home games since 2006. And I think already some are looking back at the late Redknapp/AVB/Sherwood eras with rose-tinted glasses. The atmosphere was generally poor, barring pockets, not much different to now. Those Europa etc games everyone remember were part of a concerted effort to create an atmosphere that otherwise didn't exist and to enjoy the football for the sake of it rather than the modern "if it's not Real Madrid in the Champions League it's below us and doesn't matter" attitude. Personally I think this is exactly the time we need to make that effort again.

If we don't get into the champions league the Europa league is a must. Some of the best trips abroad have been in the Europa. We will get to go to places were we would never go to and it will rid us of the recent fanbase who think the Champions league is better than actually winning silver wear.

I've been going to 95% or so of home games since 2006. And I think already some are looking back at the late Redknapp/AVB/Sherwood eras with rose-tinted glasses. The atmosphere was generally poor, barring pockets, not much different to now. Those Europa etc games everyone remember were part of a concerted effort to create an atmosphere that otherwise didn't exist and to enjoy the football for the sake of it rather than the modern "if it's not Real Madrid in the Champions League it's below us and doesn't matter" attitude. Personally I think this is exactly the time we need to make that effort again.

Going back to the Jol years I think we were at a point just starting to believe we could do more. But great atmosphere in those European ties.

Then yeah 100% we started to expect more and look where we are today. Real shift in expectation.

A fanbase more used to Madrid than small danish sides or mid level Scottish teams like Hearts.

The 1882 movement on here stemmed from that shift in attitude. I’m realistic enough to know those days are long gone but would be nice to get pockets of the crowd up for a little sing song and - Love of the shirt - if we ever do end up back in EL low crowd (cheap) games.

Last edited:
Not all old cunts are dead from the neck down, plenty still stand, shout, sing and give it 100% certainly the entire SCS do and that goes from old cunts to young bloods ... the problem is the entitled cunts who demand we score after 5 minutes, spend the entire game moaning when we don't, are to important to make fools of themselves but still complain about lack of atmosphere, you know the sort, the ones who can't wait to jump on a website to slag of players, manager, owners, club ...

Our support has grown massively (you are 100% wrong about that) but all that growth is in foreign fans who get their fix from the TV with the odd 'pilgrimage' to WHL, believe me at 5:30am Thursday after watching through the small hours the Thai fan club had real tears when we lost, they do care ...

It's the prawn-sandwich brigade of entitled woke wankers that are ruining the enjoyment, but I'm afraid that's what money does to a lot of people ...

Don't give up, otherwise the whinging cunts win ... which sadly now happens far to often
Apologies Bangkok, meant the fanaticism of support shown by fans is less, not the total numbers.

Agree with the sentiment though. Money has changed football in general and the club has followed that. Just tired of the general entitlement that surrounds the club now

Was you one of those prats that threw beer around in the concourse at away games ?
I nearly laid into the idiots at newcastle one year, had to be dragged away.
LOL. Did it not quite make it onto that new jacket of yours? My aim must’ve been off ;)

Nah, cause not fella. Beer is to be cherished. Especially at the prices charged now. I ain’t wasting a drop of that! For that we share similar views

You make some good points.

Apart from the last one. Ageist prick. My replacement hip and angina don’t stop me sucking on a werthers original while watching spurs.

Anyway I digress.

Took my boy and nephew Wednesday and I said exactly that. Years ago full of teenagers out having a laugh. Took a photo. Bald heads and grey hair the most prevalent feature you can see.

Things will change over time.

A singing section is needed IMO. Come for the party and to make some noise or fuck off.
Was immense when I went to PSV while working in Holland. But the Dutch do know how to have fun I guess.

Your post certainly made me chuckle...appreciate the response. The post was mildly on the ageist side, I must admit, my humblest apologies, sir.

Yeah, it’s the sea of grey hair that I’m referring too. It’s just a bit, come on now, let others have a chance. Don’t get me wrong, and this is where I take some of what I said back, some of these guys have spent a hell of a lot of money over their lifetime and probably even more in emotions (probably yourself included?) And it’s a bit rich of me to tell em to fuck off. BUT, we do need lads to have a laugh, or all that will be left will be the ‘there for the experience’ spectator and to me, that just ain’t football.

I totally agree about the singing section, which is a shame, as I see English football support as off the cuff, which doesn’t need mass organisation. However, if we are to get any kind of atmosphere, people who share similar atmospheric desires have to be grouped together. Otherwise it’s a bit like the whistling gallery at St Paul’s ‘oh, oh, oh, I think I just heard you...!’

I just hope when we do end up back in the Europa we give it a proper go and our supporters enjoy it rather than moan the whole time.
Agree we need to be in Europe. Still remember the year when Martin Jol was here, no Europe and knocked out of both cups in first round we entered. 40 matches that year. Rarely any midweek matches and gaps between matches. No need for rotation and so fringe players not needed. This is not good.

And one we will surely be heading back to at some point.

UEFA cup final night at the Lane probably one of the greatest memories for plenty of our fans as well.

Circles.
Yup - That was a superb night. As was the one in '72.
I've been to every CL home game plus quite a few aways. Always do my upmost to take in the whole experience...you never know when we will play another game in that competition.

Last edited:

I remember the Fiorentina game. Was superb atmosphere.

Not all old cunts are dead from the neck down, plenty still stand, shout, sing and give it 100% certainly the entire SCS do and that goes from old cunts to young bloods ... the problem is the entitled cunts who demand we score after 5 minutes, spend the entire game moaning when we don't, are to important to make fools of themselves but still complain about lack of atmosphere, you know the sort, the ones who can't wait to jump on a website to slag of players, manager, owners, club ...

Our support has grown massively (you are 100% wrong about that) but all that growth is in foreign fans who get their fix from the TV with the odd 'pilgrimage' to WHL, believe me at 5:30am Thursday after watching through the small hours the Thai fan club had real tears when we lost, they do care ...

It's the prawn-sandwich brigade of entitled woke wankers that are ruining the enjoyment, but I'm afraid that's what money does to a lot of people ...

Don't give up, otherwise the whinging cunts win ... which sadly now happens far to often

Where does our Thai fan base go to watch our games ?
Just wondering as I lived and worked in Thailand / Bangkok for many years, although it was some time ago, things have probably changed since then.

Your post certainly made me chuckle...appreciate the response. The post was mildly on the ageist side, I must admit, my humblest apologies, sir.

Yeah, it’s the sea of grey hair that I’m referring too. It’s just a bit, come on now, let others have a chance. Don’t get me wrong, and this is where I take some of what I said back, some of these guys have spent a hell of a lot of money over their lifetime and probably even more in emotions (probably yourself included?) And it’s a bit rich of me to tell em to fuck off. BUT, we do need lads to have a laugh, or all that will be left will be the ‘there for the experience’ spectator and to me, that just ain’t football.

I mainly worry we miss out on a generation of fans. Where do the passionate ST holders come from if they got priced out as a teenager? Will the South Korean fans keep coming in numbers after Sonny?

So I think league games will be a closed shop for a while. But that’s normal. Like you say people have earnt the right to those tickets but they are really not bringing the noise to league games.

A couple of years without CL football would trim down the tourists. United, Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool have all had those spells recently. Look at some of the crowds Woolwich get now......

So probably our time when you look at the experience/ age of the squad. And the football cycle continues.

Regeneration of Tottenham area :

Tonight Haringey Council are considering proposals as to how they move forward towards a vote from Love Lane and other local residents to redevelop the High Road West area - its actually a re-run of what they did in 2014 !
https://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/documents/g9087/Public reports pack 09th-Mar-2020 19.00 Planning Sub Committee.pdf?T=10

The High Road West scheme originally promised to deliver 1,200 new homes. Since the council's previous deliberations Spurs have :

Built Brook House in 2015 to deliver......………………... 222
Obtained Planning permission for the Goods Yard...... 316
Obtained Planning permission for B & M Site (*)………..322
Total New Homes either built or with Planning...…...860
(*) Planning meeting last night recommended
by the planning officers but council stopped
the usual broadcast of the meeting so the
outcome of the meeting still not confirmed.

So since the council last considered its navel in 2014 Spurs have got to planning stage to achieve over 70% of new homes in High Road West....and built a stadium.

Meanwhile there is still NO date when the council expects to get to a stage when the High Road West (or remains of it under their control) scheme will go to Planning.

6 wasted years !

And Spurs have dealt with 70% of planned new homes for Haringey.

Back
Top Bottom