New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So the ground opened a year ago today. Agree with most of the points in this piece. Still yet to truly love it like the old WHL but hopefully that will come with time.

I think that time will be key here. A big reason why fans loved the old stadium was that it had been around for so long. It was home.

That will come with time for the new ground.

I think that time will be key here. A big reason why fans loved the old stadium was that it had been around for so long. It was home.

.....and part of the reason that WHL stayed in pretty much the same form for so long was that it was past possible mordernisation....

If we'd been knocking down and rebuilding stands, or even changing anything during the last 15 years of its life the memories of it wouldn't be so vivid and ingrained.

It's obsolescence made it more iconic.

I mainly worry we miss out on a generation of fans. Where do the passionate ST holders come from if they got priced out as a teenager? Will the South Korean fans keep coming in numbers after Sonny?

So I think league games will be a closed shop for a while. But that’s normal. Like you say people have earnt the right to those tickets but they are really not bringing the noise to league games.

A couple of years without CL football would trim down the tourists. United, Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool have all had those spells recently. Look at some of the crowds Woolwich get now......

So probably our time when you look at the experience/ age of the squad. And the football cycle continues.
I wonder how may season ticket holders will be badly financially affected by the lockdown and not renew.
Also there might be a lot of season ticket holders/regular matchgoers who are realising they have a lot more cash in their pocket/money in the bank from not spending the money on following spurs and might reassess

On the other hand having been forced away from spurs, cant wait to get back to matchdays with a passion.

I wonder how may season ticket holders will be badly financially affected by the lockdown and not renew.
Also there might be a lot of season ticket holders/regular matchgoers who are realising they have a lot more cash in their pocket/money in the bank from not spending the money on following spurs and might reassess

On the other hand having been forced away from spurs, cant wait to get back to matchdays with a passion.

I think a lot of people will always see Spurs as a social thing and once this all goes away the desire to get out and have a good time will be there for a lot of people.

Maybe lose 10k ST holders. Before all this thought 5k+ might not renew anyway based on normal churn.

What's meant by old stadium though? There may be some on here who are old enough to remember the Paxton and Park Lane before any seats were installed, for others (like me) it will be how the stadium was pre the west stand being rebuilt ('82), with the shelf still in its full glory (prior to boxes being installed), and then for many it will be how it was in its final years.
The old stadium for me was from about 74, when I first went, to 82.

What's meant by old stadium though? There may be some on here who are old enough to remember the Paxton and Park Lane before any seats were installed, for others (like me) it will be how the stadium was pre the west stand being rebuilt ('82), with the shelf still in its full glory (prior to boxes being installed), and then for many it will be how it was in its final years.
The old stadium for me was from about 74, when I first went, to 82.
I remember getting upset when the East Stand was redeveloped and I couldn't stand at the front of the Shelf.

I had a standing season ticket in the enclosure and the view directly opposite a full shelf was unlike any other. Got moved to the centre of the shelf when the west stand was demolished, which upset the 'local's' in the shelf, and that's when SE corner (cage) became the vocal section.

I remember getting upset when the East Stand was redeveloped and I couldn't stand at the front of the Shelf.
I remember the last home game of the season against Luton in May '88.
We stayed on the Shelf for ages after the match - just refusing to move.
Knew it would be the last time we'd ever set foot in there again.

I remember the last home game of the season against Luton in May '88.
We stayed on the Shelf for ages after the match - just refusing to move.
Knew it would be the last time we'd ever set foot in there again.
I remember The Wreath being passed around above our heads...
The post match 'memorial' was not as 'slick' as the last game ever at WHL, but still quite emotional!

Back
Top Bottom