Newcastle (A) 11 August

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not one of my best away trips. Got the train up in the morning which was fine. Stadium looks impressive from the outside but is just a large misshaped mess from the inside. Away section is truly shocking. I genuinely felt a bit queasy being up so high. You’re so far aware you’ll feel closer to the action watching on TV. From another room. Good singing from us. Their support is shocking. With very little effort they could make that place truly intimidating. Pathetic. Got a text from BA at full time saying they’d cancelled my flight. Spent 2 hours trying to sort it out and ended up paying £170 for a train ticket home. Wankers. At least there was a good beer shop at Newcastle station to make the journey easier. None of any of that - even combined - made me feel as dodgy as any time Aurier had the ball in a defensive situation. But he can cross. Hugo is immense. Our squad is solid. We can do great, great things this season. COYS.

The way the press is going on you’d have thought we lost 6-0
Personally, I love the fact that the press are after us. It will help us form a stronger team unit and reinforce a positive siege mentality within the group. The traditional Sky establishment are just desperate to break our project.

Both teams had 15 shots at goal, they had 2 on target and we had 5 so I don't really know where this whole we were lucky to lose thing came from, seeing as they only scored one and would have to had scored a further 2 on top of that to have got to within a hope in hells chance of that happening.

There's always something people will pick holes in, either we didn't sign a player, Harry Kane didn't play well at the WC even though he walked away with the prestigious Golden Boot, he don't score in August blah blah blah, it's alll just noise thrown together by either perfectionist Spurs fans, journalists that don't know their arsehole from their elbow when it comes to balancing on field and off field goings on at the club or snidey opposition fans trying to get into people's heads. I mentioned in a previous post that since 2000, Woolwich have had to sell or move on 20 of their top class starts to balance books, with the majority of them in the last 12 months of their contract at the time of moving. If they had to manage their funds with the larger fan base they have globally &a with the extra revenue from continuous Champions League revenue streaming in up until recently, we certainly have to think of our money the same. Signing up the nucleus of the team to long term contracts is superb news, it's not the same as other big clubs that do so under our circumstances
Sorry but if we had hit the bar and the post and had lost 2-1 we would feel unlucky, come on let’s me honest. Yes I know hitting the bar and post is not classed officially as a shot on target but it’s just semantics. If some has a soft shot and it rolls in to the goalkeepers hands that is a shot on target. For me hitting the bar and the post is better than that!
So if we look at it that way we had 5 and they had four. And the Sissoko chance was the only real one for me.
So I am sticking with we did get a bit of luck, played ok at times but on another day could have easily been a draw. So 3 points away I will take it

Admittedly an unpolished performance in which the cross bar delivered for us rather than for them and away at Newcastle, so fuck it....we are amazing......even if there is much work to be done.

Aurier....Serge has not chilled out over the summer, and I'm trying to balance that liability in him with the fact his cross to Dele was magic. I still think he is worth 2 red cards this season, unless Poch can work on his tackle decisions.

We looked a little gassed in the last 5-10 minutes. Thought Jan and Sanchez were great. Love Davies. And Moura is shining somewhat brightly.

COYS
Agree with everything but Moura quote. Don’t think he had a great game yesterday

They keep on saying we were lucky not to lose - given that Newcastle only had two shots on target it was actually impossible for us to lose.

They count shots hitting the post / bar as being 'almost goals'......a shot that hits the post is a miss, just like one that hits the corner flag is.
Also, the context of the post/crossbar hits were not some crazy odds-on goal opportunities for Newcastle.

One was a tight shot that was very unlikely to go in and the other was a deflection off Vertonghen (?) that would have been very jammy for Newcastle if it had gone in.

Just like you lot are disappointed with the window, so are we, but overall you must be pleased with the quality of players at your club, and the remarkable strides you've made in a relatively short time? We've gone backwards for a decade. Where once we were regularly playing in Europe, regularly making exciting signings and always striving for more, now Ashley has us regularly flirting with relegation, regularly making underwhelming signings and never striving for anything greater than survival.

Where once we were rivalling the best of English clubs, now we "can't compete" with Southampton and have the biggest net profit in the league.

All that probably explains the sub-optimum atmosphere. Also, up in the gods, the atmosphere will always sound a bit crap, we don't sing up at you lot, we sing down at the pitch.

Thought we were good for a point and but for millimeters of paint or space we would have got it. Think if we'd started a professional footballer instead of whatever Joselu is, we'd had caused an unusually nervy back line proper problems.

Hope you had a top night out in Newcastle.

Great night out in Newcastle!!! ( paying for it now tho )

Also, the context of the post/crossbar hits were not some crazy odds-on goal opportunities for Newcastle.

One was a tight shot that was very unlikely to go in and the other was a deflection off Vertonghen (?) that would have been very jammy for Newcastle if it had gone in.

Yeah, they said "Rondon goes very close with a shot" on the commentary - it pretty much had nothing to do with him, the shot wouldn't have gone in without Vertonghen deflecting it.

Just like you lot are disappointed with the window, so are we, but overall you must be pleased with the quality of players at your club, and the remarkable strides you've made in a relatively short time? We've gone backwards for a decade. Where once we were regularly playing in Europe, regularly making exciting signings and always striving for more, now Ashley has us regularly flirting with relegation, regularly making underwhelming signings and never striving for anything greater than survival.

Where once we were rivalling the best of English clubs, now we "can't compete" with Southampton and have the biggest net profit in the league.

All that probably explains the sub-optimum atmosphere. Also, up in the gods, the atmosphere will always sound a bit crap, we don't sing up at you lot, we sing down at the pitch.

Thought we were good for a point and but for millimeters of paint or space we would have got it. Think if we'd started a professional footballer instead of whatever Joselu is, we'd had caused an unusually nervy back line proper problems.

Hope you had a top night out in Newcastle.
Hello Fishy!! Nice to see you back.

Another season of joy at the Toon I see....
Y75t46V.gif

Did the press say manure were playing like the away team against Leicester at OldTrafford?

Did the press say manure were lucky to beat Leicester? When Leicester the away side had more possession and had more shots on target.

If they didn't then f--- the press.

Back
Top Bottom