Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolute cop out. If your concerns were genuine you'd opt to have no part in it.

Absolutely nothing.

Your position on this (and the token condemnations you make throughout this thread) is an "embarrassment" to anyone with any genuine conviction over the matter.

Your lot were only too happy to champion the "WE are the club" partyline in order to hound Ashley out, but suddenly you're all meekly shrinking into the self-serving comfort of the "we fans are just powerless individuals" standpoint.

Still, jigging about to Abba in Brighton next summer should be a lot of fun for you; whilst cleansing your conscience t'boot. Win/win. :)
You might be able to easily sack off your club, but I can't.

I'm conflicted, I've said so repeatedly. I want my club to be competitive, I want to see good players play good football to get good results and for that you need untold wealth. Which means getting into bed with billionaires, and altruistic billionaires are more rare than rocking horse shit.

I see that the Saudis are using this to Sportswash their regime and that their regime is awful. I don't think Newcastle fans can do anything to stop Mike Ashley from selling to anyone he likes. We can't make the bid fail the PL's O&D test. We can't make government insult one of their trade partners by interfering in the process when they didn't for the Saudi takeover of Sheffield, or the UAE takeover of Man City.

Our inability to get rid of Ashley confirms that we are pretty powerless. Powerless to prevent the bid going through, even if we all thought as one. Which we don't.

Educating myself on the Saudi regime's crimes and throwing support behind LBGTQ+ and Women's groups is small potatoes in the grand scheme, but you massively overestimate my power in all of this if you think I can do anything more while still supporting my club.

I would be fascinated to take a peak into a parallel dimension where it is Tottenham Hotspur at the centre of a Saudi takeover, just to see if your position would be as firmly held. Or if your position owes more to partisan tribalism, than it does to moral outrage?

You might be able to easily sack off your club, but I can't.

I'm conflicted, I've said so repeatedly. I want my club to be competitive, I want to see good players play good football to get good results and for that you need untold wealth. Which means getting into bed with billionaires, and altruistic billionaires are more rare than rocking horse shit.

I see that the Saudis are using this to Sportswash their regime and that their regime is awful. I don't think Newcastle fans can do anything to stop Mike Ashley from selling to anyone he likes. We can't make the bid fail the PL's O&D test. We can't make government insult one of their trade partners by interfering in the process when they didn't for the Saudi takeover of Sheffield, or the UAE takeover of Man City.

Our inability to get rid of Ashley confirms the above. We are pretty powerless to prevent the bid going through, even if we all thought as one. Which we don't.

Educating myself on the Saudi regime's crimes and throwing support behind LBGTQ+ and Women's groups is small potatoes in the grand scheme, but you massively overestimate my power in all of this if you think I can do anything more while still supporting my club.

You have the same choice as I do.

Not interested in your excuses....

I would be fascinated to take a peak into a parallel dimension where it is Tottenham Hotspur at the centre of a Saudi takeover, just to see if your position would be as firmly held. Or if your position owes more to partisan tribalism, than it does to moral outrage?

I already answered that at the very beginning of this... It would be a bridge too far for me.

You have the same choice as I do.

Not interested in your excuses....
I don't, mine is an actual choice, yours is just a hypothetical one.

I already answered that at the very beginning of this... It would be a bridge too far for me.
Yeah, you said in the hypothetical you'd not be able to continue supporting Spurs. which is fine, I've no doubt that had you asked me 13 years ago if I'd be happy supporting Newcastle United if Sir John Hall sold us to a regime like the Saudis, I'm sure that 25yr old would have said "No" to that hypothetical too.

I don't believe any fanbase would turn their backs on the club because of a new owner. Certainly not one who has the resources to transform the fortunes of the team, the club, and the region as a whole.

I don't, mine is an actual choice, yours is just a hypothetical one.

That's just evasive rubbish.... You have A choice. That's the point.

Yeah, you said in the hypothetical you'd not be able to continue supporting Spurs. which is fine, I've no doubt that had you asked me 13 years ago if I'd be happy supporting Newcastle United if Sir John Hall sold us to a regime like the Saudis, I'm sure that 25yr old would have said "No" to that hypothetical too.

You asked me a hypothetical question.

Why did you bother then?

WDF were you expecting other than a hypothetical answer? :face-palm:

I don't believe any fanbase would turn their backs on the club because of a new owner. Certainly not one who has the resources to transform the fortunes of the team, the club, and the region as a whole.

Yet City & Chelsea both had fans abandon them.

We've been here already.

You choose to stick around for blood-stained glory. Own it.

That's just evasive rubbish.... You have A choice. That's the point.

You asked me a hypothetical question.

Why did you bother then?

WDF were you expecting other than a hypothetical answer? :face-palm:

Yet City & Chelsea both had fans abandon them.

We've been here already.

You choose to stick around for blood-stained glory. Own it.
I choose to stick around to support the club I supported as a child and the club I'll support when I die. Owners come and go.

I choose to stick around to support the club I supported as a child and the club I'll support when I die. Owners come and go.

What platitudinous bullshit.

....And there's you repeatedly accusing me of blinkered tribalism.

What platitudinous bullshit.

....And there's you repeatedly accusing me of blinkered tribalism.
It's not bullshit, platitudinous or otherwise. It's the truth. The world isn't as black and white for me. It isn't black and white for anyone. You've chosen this hill to die on, and fair enough, you can declare yourself hypothetically morally superior if you like. Dead easy to do that.

But you and I both know that most football fans would remain a supporter of their team, regardless of who the new owner was. Few walked away from Chelsea, few from Man City, fewer still from Sheffield.

It's not bullshit, platitudinous or otherwise. It's the truth. The world isn't as black and white for me. It isn't black and white for anyone. You've chosen this hill to die on, and fair enough, you can declare yourself hypothetically morally superior if you like. Dead easy to do that.

I'm declaring myself nothing. You asked; I answered.

But you and I both know that most football fans would remain a supporter of their team, regardless of who the new owner was. Few walked away from Chelsea, few from Man City, fewer still from Sheffield

"Few" maybe, but not NONE.... Ergo, you're wrong. You have a choice.

No more replies from me... Your flawed quest to be excused is dull.

The Saudi wealth fund has been out shopping in the pandemic as stock prices fell.
They have bought big shares in Boeing, BP, Disney, Facebook, Starbucks and loads more.
Newcastle is a very small piece, I guess they think it was under-priced.

It will go through. When fans are allowed back into the stadiums those that can be bothered should protest against them. The rest of us will probably only take notice when they effect our finishing position. Not a dig at anyone, just how I expect it will go.

I've been falling out of love with football for some time now, drip by drip. Realising that a return to the Glory Glory days wasn't a priority for our owners, the obscene amounts of money swilling about the game, the general Skyification, cretinous players, loads of things...

Like others have said, a Saudi takeover might be the final push, but I wouldn't bet my house on it. Never underestimate the ability of football fans, me very much included, to spin on a sixpence and go back on what they were saying seconds before, sell out all their supposedly deeply-held values when they get a sniff of the Sheikh's flowing garment.

I imagine if you'd asked City fans a week before the takeover how they felt about clubs being owned by a slave state they would have railed against the dirty money sluicing into football ruining the game although of course it wouldn't happen at their club, they were different from United, they were a family and so on, Yet nevertheless, there they were in their tea-towel keffiyehs the next Saturday.

I've been falling out of love with football for some time now, drip by drip. Realising that a return to the Glory Glory days wasn't a priority for our owners, the obscene amounts of money swilling about the game,

What would our owners have to have done to convince you they were prioritising a return to the glory glory days that they haven't done ?

Didn't the new owner spend as much on a painting as Newcastle's sale price last year?

£370 million for this early picture of David Ginola apparently.

773d6e9be0b4438b5b9323fe892f8b13.jpg

Apparently Roma are trying to hijack this deal if the press in Italy is to be believed.

They are also 27 mil in the red which would explain why they feel the need to get new financial backers in.

Apparently Roma are trying to hijack this deal if the press in Italy is to be believed.

They are also 27 mil in the red which would explain why they feel the need to get new financial backers in.

A hard choice do you want a club in a major city with lovely climate..or Newcastle?

What would our owners have to have done to convince you they were prioritising a return to the glory glory days that they haven't done ?
The facts. But if we are going along with your theory, then they have failed & trophies seem too much for them I'm afraid. They just haven't got what it takes to win trophies. They are prioritising trophies but still can't manage it. Keep falling short.

The facts. But if we are going along with your theory, then they have failed & trophies seem too much for them I'm afraid. They just haven't got what it takes to win trophies. They are prioritising trophies but still can't manage it. Keep falling short.
Glazer's stuck nearly a billion of debt on Man Utd.
They've fucking fleeced that club . Transferred the debt incurred in buying it onto it, take dividends every 6 months (last time round was 11 million quid. Big Bad Joe Lewis and Levy have never taken one), forced all the supporter shareholders to sell up(something big bad enic have thus far refused to do)
Didnt stop Van Gaal and our Current manager from winning silverware there.

Perhaps the lack of silverware is down to the many players we have bought, and some poor choices in coach. And that last bit IS enic's responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom