Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing that annoys me the most about Newcastle fans is that they seem to have this thought that they should be a top club, but without the history to back that up, they literally have won nothing (aside from old Second Division and Championship) in 51 years, and they royally blew their chance at the title in 1995/96.

They’re not a top club with any history of success, but they’re definitely big in terms of local popularity.

I agree with your point that they’re not or should not be considered a top club, but they are definitely well supported. I now live in Bristol and it’s clear that Bristol City have a huge following. Right now they would sell out a 40k stadium if they had one, so I think there are ‘big’ clubs under the radar that are more deserving of attention than others.

Newcastle will never struggle for support.

The thing that annoys me the most about Newcastle fans is that they seem to have this thought that they should be a top club, but without the history to back that up, they literally have won nothing (aside from old Second Division and Championship) in 51 years, and they royally blew their chance at the title in 1995/96.

I really hate all that bollocks about their famous number 9 shirt. Because of Milburn and Malcolm fucking McDonald?? Not exactly Cruyff and Maradona were they? If Jimmy Greaves woke up with Jackie Milburn's talent he'd have retired immediately.

Now any fucking carthorse that wears the 9 shirt, they have to pipe up about the 'famous number 9' and what it means to the people of Newcastle.

Just heard Steve Howey on the Radio, seriously comparing Mike Ashley's human rights record to the Saudi Regime.that is, a regime that has a government issue app in which can track "their" women.

Fuckung shameful

They’re not a top club with any history of success, but they’re definitely big in terms of local popularity.

I agree with your point that they’re not or should not be considered a top club, but they are definitely well supported. I now live in Bristol and it’s clear that Bristol City have a huge following. Right now they would sell out a 40k stadium if they had one, so I think there are ‘big’ clubs under the radar that are more deserving of attention than others.

They're a one team City and that's about it.

I can completly understand any Newcastle fan being frustrated as hell at being stuck with Ashley (incredible that in all this process his made £17m!!! from the Saudi's paying him a non-refundable deposit!!) but not to be stuck with such scum as the Saudi owners is genuinely better for the Club in the long run IF IT IS STILL SOLD THAT IS.

The World is changing right now, this change might not last, but there is a bit of momentum globally as there is a whiff of rebellion, anarchy or revolution whatever adjective you want to use that will see Ashley still have the club up for grabs and in this climate perhaps new owners would make it more about the Club rather than themselves. And the proposed PIF takeover was all about the Saudi's and not Newcastle Utd. no amount of spin will ever change that.
I think the O&D test should look at the bidders behaviours and protect clubs from nefarious owners, it should be able to refuse a bid from a murderous regime (if they're satisfied that the bidders and the state are one and the same), but it doesn't. This has failed because the PL insisted that PIF and KSA are the same entity and therefore have been pirating the property of the Premier League for years. The buying side could have resolved these issues if it had taken sufficient measures to tackle piracy, or at least abide by the WTO ruling.

My overriding emotion is disappointment. We're stuck with Ashley for the foreseeable (and make no mistake the excitement was chiefly about getting rid of him).

You're right that the Saudis intent was not altruistic, it was purely self-serving. But honestly, if millions were pumped into the region, I'm not sure the locals would really care which government was investing there as they've been neglected by our own for so long.

Hopefully we'll still be sold, hopefully the new owners will have the ambition and wherewithal to provide a little joy on Tyneside, hopefully we can put this whole sorry saga behind us.

My theory is that the Premier League require an explanation of how decision making would work, but the Saudis generally don't do transparency. Exactly how decisions are made, and by who, is not to be explained to outsiders.
Reports say the PL wanted PIF to name the KSA as a Director and that's not something any other club has had to do.

They should use that to build something instead of looking for a sugar daddy. Bring the local talent through to support their own team and to supply other teams. It's supposed to be a hotbed of talent up there.

It's weird though, isn't it. We're repeatedly told we're not a big club and yet when pundits are asked, when polls are run, when conversations are had, we're often listed in the top 10. I don't think any of us would claim to be in the same universe as Manchester United, or Liverpool. Nor would most think we're currently as big as Chelsea, or Woolwich, or Spurs. There's a few who would use a very specific set of criteria to put us on a level with Villa or Everton, but personally? I don't care much about that.

I'd comfortably and confidently say Newcastle United are one of the 10 'biggest' clubs in the country right now. With the right owner & manager we could well close the gap on the teams above us

It's weird though, isn't it. We're repeatedly told we're not a big club and yet when pundits are asked, when polls are run, when conversations are had, we're often listed in the top 10. I don't think any of us would claim to be in the same universe as Manchester United, or Liverpool. Nor would most think we're currently as big as Chelsea, or Woolwich, or Spurs. There's a few who would use a very specific set of criteria to put us on a level with Villa or Everton, but personally? I don't care much about that.

I'd comfortably and confidently say Newcastle United are one of the 10 'biggest' clubs in the country right now. With the right owner & manager we could well close the gap on the teams above us
Mate, if the "right" owner is a multi-multi-billionaire and the "right" manager is somebody from the football Hall of Fame then your statement would also hold for Hartlepool United.

They should use that to build something instead of looking for a sugar daddy. Bring the local talent through to support their own team and to supply other teams. It's supposed to be a hotbed of talent up there.

Their fans have no time for that though.... They demand catapulting to a level that they've never attained during the last 70-odd years of the game. Ashley is just their anointed boogie-man and they've shown they're happy to spin all sorts of negative and contradictory BS to maintain this vilification.

....Preston North End were a successful team if you hark back for a century. I don't see them expressing a devine right to the big time.

Sunderland have a hefty supporter base and are more successful if you dig back just as far .... You don't see them carrying on the way the Barcodes do with their quasi-Liverpool "it means more up here" pretentions.

"Sunderland have the superior record of league titles - six to Newcastle's four"

You're absolutely right, we should be producing the talent through the youth system, but it's not been invested in for over a decade now. We're the only only club for miles around, the closest top flight club is now Leeds. We should be hoovering talent from Cumbria and Northumbria, all the way down to Yorkshire. Instead, we're spending £40m on a forward who has never been a goalscorer.

Part of the PIF proposal was local investment and Amanda Staveley has repeatedly said this investment wouldn't be a Chelsea/Man City splurge, but a patient approach more akin to the one you allude to.

No one denied the size of your fanbase; it's been openly acknowledged. You're a one-team city.... Well done you.... Nothing else to prop up the notion that you deserve to be at the top table though.

Dippers without the trophy cabinet.

Mate, if the "right" owner is a multi-multi-billionaire and the "right" manager is somebody from the football Hall of Fame then your statement would also hold for Hartlepool United.
by 'right owner' I don't necessarily mean Bezos-like riches. Just enough money and desire to fund improvements. And the right manager doesn't mean Pep Guardiola or Klopp, just someone talented. It would take a shit more money and a managerial genius to take Hartlepool into the same realm as us, let alone any better.

No one denied the size of your fanbase; it's been openly acknowledged. You're a one-team city.... Well done you.... Nothing else to prop up the notion that you deserve to be at the top table though.

Dippers without the trophy cabinet.
Can't be arsed to get into a debate with you really, you've made it pretty clear you have a contempt for Newcastle and it's fans. However, if you're stating that Newcastle United aren't a big club then I'd say you've let your petty bias cloud your judgement.

You're absolutely right, we should be producing the talent through the youth system, but it's not been invested in for over a decade now. We're the only only club for miles around, the closest top flight club is now Leeds. We should be hoovering talent from Cumbria and Northumbria, all the way down to Yorkshire. Instead, we're spending £40m on a forward who has never been a goalscorer.

Plenty of EPL teams don't have a FWD that cost that much... But still you cry.

You envy Everton.... Why not envy Burnely?

Why not envy this:

U3swu3h.jpg

Why? Money.

Part of the PIF proposal was local investment and Amanda Staveley has repeatedly said this investment wouldn't be a Chelsea/Man City splurge, but a patient approach more akin to the one you allude to.

So why pucker up and sell your soul for dirty money then?

Plenty of EPL teams don't have a FWD that cost that much... But still you cry.

You envy Everton.... Why not envy Burnely?

Why not envy this:

U3swu3h.jpg

Why? Money.

So why pucker up and sell your soul for dirty money then?
... cost doesn't equal value, Spurs fans should know this well. That £40m could have paid for Rondon and Benitez, and still have money left over for investment in the academy.

I said Everton because they're 5pts above us and are a club with ambitions beyond survival. I didn't say Spurs because, currently, you're lightyears ahead of us and it would take calamity for you and miracles for us to catch any time soon. Especially with this owner who will care even less about the club than he did previously.

... cost doesn't equal value, Spurs fans should know this well. That £40m could have paid for Rondon and Benitez, and still have money left over for investment in the academy.

I said Everton because they're 5pts above us and are a club with ambitions beyond survival. I didn't say Spurs because, currently, you're lightyears ahead of us and it would take calamity for you and miracles for us to catch any time soon. Especially with this owner who will care even less about the club than he did previously.

Cobblers.... Your lot are always complaining about lack of spending (not the academy or poor scouting)...

You think 40m was spent in hope that Joelinton was shit do you? ....Who gets the credit when signings go well (St Maximan)? ....Not Ashley or Bruce that's for damn sure.

It's not a case of "catching" Spurs.... Why not aspire to our financial model?

Again, why envy Everton rather than Burnely? ....Why not Southampton?

Again... £££££.

Again, it's your lot feeling they have a divine right to shiny things.

Lol.... Rafa. More superficiality.

Poor Brucie.
Poor Big Sam.
Poor Chrissy Hughton.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom