Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's Wahhabism rather than Sunni Islam that is the issue with KSA.

Yes they spent billions exporting Wahhabism ideology globally with oil dollars via ‘’education’’ from Pakistan to Indonesia changing the nature of Islam in many parts of those countries plus funding both Bin Laden and ISIS either directly or indirectly. That ideology which has led to vast amounts of acts of terrorism and instability all goes back to our ‘’ally’’ SA. With friends like these who needs enemies.

49-F77-B53-60-EA-48-D4-BB72-831-A61-B8-F3-B2.jpg

one got dogs abuse other is a hero……..
Hang on, wasn't one of those seasons for Benitez in the Championship?

Hang on, wasn't one of those seasons for Benitez in the Championship?
Yeah. These numbers don't add up. He won 33 out of 53 games in the Championship and got 107 points.

This has to be full PL seasons. But even then the numbers do not add up because Rafa got 97 points for his two full PL seasons with Newcastle.

I don't think it would be easy to buy Real or Barca (even though Barca is a dumpster fire right now). So the EPL is an easier and better investment than other leagues. Think it is as simple as that.

My bro works in SA and he says there is a real shift towards more tolerance, mainly due to the new guy we are loving to hate right now. So, I'd take everything we hear with a pinch of pure sodium. They are still basically 50s Britain, but it won't take 50 years to catch up.
They have made a thing about this being a private company, nothing to do with MBS or the Saudi leadership.
Somehow they are going to have to present what they do as part of creating a going concern in sport and entertainment.
Newcastle United isn't much of a global brand to hang your hat on, so I guess they will have to take a long-term view that they can build it into something.

Some questions I ponder and don’t conclude an answer…..

How come the Saudi’s don’t want to invest in their own domestic football ?

How come the Saudi’s are investing in a product that is based where it is and is as compromised as it is, with their money they could have bought or invested in Barcelona for example, why Newcastle ?

How does the outrage from this deal compare to the outrage from the Saudi’s other 60 billion + of purchased U.K. assets ?

Why is the real reality of this problem ignored? That being that it is a culture that is the mirror image of what we (pretend) to be in the west ?

It would seem to me that our liberals all think that the politics of the region are not influenced by Sunni Islam, so they can enact change, through cosy chats and flags. Delusional.

How on Earth dim wits like Gary Neville conclude that the Saudi government can be influenced by (insincere) domestic liberalism, above a 1500+ year religious dogma is beyond me.
Without getting down the rabbit hole with you, I don't think there is any one on the planet who believes religion doesn't "influence" SA. Obviously, the inception of the state was based on Wahhabi ideology.

I don't think it would be easy to buy Real or Barca (even though Barca is a dumpster fire right now). So the EPL is an easier and better investment than other leagues. Think it is as simple as that.

My bro works in SA and he says there is a real shift towards more tolerance, mainly due to the new guy we are loving to hate right now. So, I'd take everything we hear with a pinch of pure sodium. They are still basically 50s Britain, but it won't take 50 years to catch up.
Nonsense.

Yes they spent billions exporting Wahhabism ideology globally with oil dollars via ‘’education’’ from Pakistan to Indonesia changing the nature of Islam in many parts of those countries plus funding both Bin Laden and ISIS either directly or indirectly. That ideology which has led to vast amounts of acts of terrorism and instability all goes back to our ‘’ally’’ SA. With friends like these who needs enemies.
They did but tbf MBS has walked back from the policy of overtly and covertly disseminating salafism around the world. Unfortunately for them, the people they were targeting around the world ended up more extreme than them and certainly didn't believe in Nation States.

They have made a thing about this being a private company, nothing to do with MBS or the Saudi leadership.
Somehow they are going to have to present what they do as part of creating a going concern in sport and entertainment.
Newcastle United isn't much of a global brand to hang your hat on, so I guess they will have to take a long-term view that they can build it into something.
They're definitely taking the long-term view. But it's all one big family over there (not 100% sure how related the 4,000 princes are, but they've been in power for 300 years, so it's plausible), so that's how it's done.

They can say 'MBS has nothing to do with it' as many times as they want (and obviously, they have to), but he's the head of the PIF, so it's an empty promise. 'Legally binding assurances' is just throwing a bullshit term to distract from the fact that it happened anyway.

No one cared that the Saudis aren't allowed to control NC. What would they do as Saudis that they wouldn't do as PIF?

They did but tbf MBS has walked back from the policy of overtly and covertly disseminating salafism around the world. Unfortunately for them, the people they were targeting around the world ended up more extreme than them and certainly didn't believe in Nation States.

True, the saying horse and bolted is quite apt for the current situation. They let the beast out of the box and after it threatened the house of Saud itself knew they where playing with fire.

I'd be interested to know what you're referring to here.

This goes back a bit to old articles and reading from my student days. Basically the house of Saud used a lot of their oil money to spread fanatical teachings, core ideology that directly underpins the likes of Bin Laden and ISIS. The education was spread a round the global radicalising many, it’s unlikely that the modern issue of Islamist terrorism would be around or as prevalent without decades and billions of funding.

The House of Saud did this for 2 primary reasons. Firstly they felt the more radical imams could be tamed by directing the problems outwards rather than inwards, a you scratch my back I will scratch yours, secondly the House of Saud saw these Islamist groups as a vanguard that would or could project power globally.

However some of these groups couldn’t be tamed and turned in towards the House of Saud, Bin Laden himself was furious at the House of Saud for being allied to the Americans and allowing US troops to be stationed in the land of Mecca and Medina. The House of Saud helped create a monster that probably doesn’t need their support anymore and one which is as likely to turn against them now as anyone else.

I think the situation in Yemen is severe enough to not make modern Saudi a comparison to 50’s Britain.

This is way off...... The only people throwing out such rhetoric are either Newcastle fans or people on the football or Saudi gravy-train.
Perhaps you are right. But actions / words are certainly inconsistent. An example could be Mr Liberal poster boy Blair. He’s kept taking money from the Saudi’s despite Khashoggi. I am certain his arguments are the same as some I have heard, because only a few weeks ago he was digging the same rulers out for 9/11.

If I recall correctly Corbyn banned the Saudi’s from attending the Labour party conference a few years ago, prompting a petulant backlash. That was at least a stand against them.

Last edited:
Without getting down the rabbit hole with you, I don't think there is any one on the planet who believes religion doesn't "influence" SA. Obviously, the inception of the state was based on Wahhabi ideology.
I think you are misunderstanding what point I was making. The defence of this has included groups, such as United With Pride, arguing that they can now influence Saudi Politics. So all is going to work out well.

I don’t think for a moment that they will influence Saudi Politics.

Neville’s specific comment was “Everybody’s talking about Saudi Arabia, the killing of the journalist, the human rights issues, the fact that women are not treated equally or right, the fact that there are LBTQ issues and that people are in jail. My view is that I’d rather have them around the table to talk about it and challenge it than to say ‘get over there, we don’t want you anywhere near us’.”

The moral stand was actually the last line which starts “get over there…”. But then it’s football. There are no morals.

Isn’t that part of the Sunni religion? A hard core element ?
It's not part of the Sunni religion, it's an offshoot that believes all other Muslims are the enemy because they do not follow the same teachings ( including other Sunnis).

It's a bit like saying the IRA is part of the Catholic religion.

Back
Top Bottom