Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At the moment it doesn’t look like they fancy doing that. I wonder if that approach will change towards the end of the window. For example, if they don’t get another striker in I can’t see them finishing top half. Chris wood is a donkey and Wilson can’t stay fit. They need another striker from somewhere.

For whom they'll have to spend a big (maybe over-inflated) price.

DCL
Toney
Watkins
Isak... Or some other prime-priced, flavour of the month Euro-punt.

Last edited:
Also, one of the newspaper sports journos said on Radio 5 last season, " This consortium buying Newcastle don't have the kind of money that people think that they do".

Think part of it is that we don't want to set precedent for paying over the odds frivolously. We've got to appear to be tough negotiators and willing to walk away from deals.

Still confident we'll get another 2 players in before the window closes and that at least one of them will be for a decent sized fee.

I don't want to start the season with just Wilson and Wood up front.
Why would Maddison put his prime years into treading water while Newcastle go through a building process if he can move to a Champions League club now? If he goes to Newcastle either you are massively overpaying or he is even more stupid than he looks ... which is barely even possible.

Think part of it is that we don't want to set precedent for paying over the odds frivolously. We've got to appear to be tough negotiators and willing to walk away from deals.

Still confident we'll get another 2 players in before the window closes and that at least one of them will be for a decent sized fee.

I don't want to start the season with just Wilson and Wood up front.

How was Gay Pride this year?

.......Did you go?

........How's the Nu-castle LGBT group fairing?

Why would Maddison put his prime years into treading water while Newcastle go through a building process if he can move to a Champions League club now? If he goes to Newcastle either you are massively overpaying or he is even more stupid than he looks ... which is barely even possible.

Subjectively speaking; Howay man, he can play in front of 52000 screaming Geordies, get pissed down the Quayside with lasses who have absolutely no morals. Newcastle's a bigger club and Leicester are a muggy little boring crisp shagger team from the midlands.

Objectively I don't disagree, but if there aren't any CL clubs interested he's got a choice between a club that, from the outside seems to be stagnating/regressing vs one that appears ambitious. Plus we should be able to provide a wage increase and all that. I mean there's the guff about being part of 'the process' and 'getting in on the ground level' and all that shit. But he's what, 25? He needs to be playing CL football within the next 4 years doesn't he? Don't think we're only 4yrs off Champions League football.

Also, one of the newspaper sports journos said on Radio 5 last season, " This consortium buying Newcastle don't have the kind of money that people think that they do".
I think that's true. We're owned by disgustingly wealthy people, but we can't/won't yet spend hundreds of millions on star players. You could see that in our first window and this one. We've signed a couple of exciting players (Bruno, Botman and Trippier), we've signed some midtable quality (Burn, Targett, Pope) and paid £25m to relegate Burnley. We could afford to go off and buy Robinho-types, but what's the point? But that would fuck our FFP wriggle room. Plus, we're not getting into Europe this season and the top of the table is even harder to crack. Steady improvement is the plan.

But other clubs think just because the Blood money makes us look rich, we'll pay over the odds frivolously.

Also, how many fucking agents have claimed we're interested in their player, just to bump the price up?

After what Newcastle did for us last season, i'm absolutely delighted for them to have a war chest and start climbing the league.

Out of the 19 other premier league clubs they are now firmly my 19th disliked club.:contethumb:

Happy to help.

What did we do for you exactly?
You smashed the Goons which is what cost them Top4..

I loved watching that game and the atmosphere you guys created is what done them the same as the NLD. Their precious little cherubs couldn't deal with the noise.

Away from our games, that was my most enjoyable game to watch last season..

Subjectively speaking; Howay man, he can play in front of 52000 screaming Geordies, get pissed down the Quayside with lasses who have absolutely no morals. Newcastle's a bigger club and Leicester are a muggy little boring crisp shagger team from the midlands.

Objectively I don't disagree, but if there aren't any CL clubs interested he's got a choice between a club that, from the outside seems to be stagnating/regressing vs one that appears ambitious. Plus we should be able to provide a wage increase and all that. I mean there's the guff about being part of 'the process' and 'getting in on the ground level' and all that shit. But he's what, 25? He needs to be playing CL football within the next 4 years doesn't he? Don't think we're only 4yrs off Champions League football.

I think that's true. We're owned by disgustingly wealthy people, but we can't/won't yet spend hundreds of millions on star players. You could see that in our first window and this one. We've signed a couple of exciting players (Bruno, Botman and Trippier), we've signed some midtable quality (Burn, Targett, Pope) and paid £25m to relegate Burnley. We could afford to go off and buy Robinho-types, but what's the point? But that would fuck our FFP wriggle room. Plus, we're not getting into Europe this season and the top of the table is even harder to crack. Steady improvement is the plan.

But other clubs think just because the Blood money makes us look rich, we'll pay over the odds frivolously.

Also, how many fucking agents have claimed we're interested in their player, just to bump the price up?
If you want to rise at the same speed that City and Chelsea did then you have to mirror their approach.

City brought in the Toure brothers, Tevez, Adebayor, Kompany etc. in one go, upgraded the manager to someone with a standing in world football and threw money at all of that.

Same with Chelsea, they already had some decent players from the Gullit/Vialli team but when Abramovich arrived he got Mourinho in and bought pretty much a new team in one season with players like Makelele, Carvalho and Robben. Abramovich showered them with money for about a decade.

If you said you were going to do that to Maddison I am sure he would be there in a second. If you say we want you to spearhead our rise together with Dan Burn ... not so much.

You smashed the Goons which is what cost them Top4..

I loved watching that game and the atmosphere you guys created is what done them the same as the NLD. Their precious little cherubs couldn't deal with the noise.

Away from our games, that was my most enjoyable game to watch last season..
Good game that. They don't like it up 'em.

Good game that. They don't like it up 'em.
and a great atmosphere.. The good times are definitely on their way.

Beat them twice this season and I might even watch repeats of Spender, Auf Wiedersehn pet, when the boat comes in and start listening to Cheryl Cole and Lindisfarne records.. I'd even go as far as watching Ant and Dec on I'm a celebrity.

If you want to rise at the same speed that City and Chelsea did then you have to mirror their approach.

City brought in the Toure brothers, Tevez, Adebayor, Kompany etc. in one go, upgraded the manager to someone with a standing in world football and threw money at all of that.

Same with Chelsea, they already had some decent players from the Gullit/Vialli team but when Abramovich arrived he got Mourinho in and bought pretty much a new team in one season with players like Makelele, Carvalho and Robben. Abramovich showered them with money for about a decade.

If you said you were going to do that to Maddison I am sure he would be there in a second. If you say we want you to spearhead our rise together with Dan Burn ... not so much.
I don't think we can do that. FFP and the change in the footballing landscape means that kind of meteroic rise isn't possible.

When Chelsea did it, they had to usurp 1 or 2 clubs and only Man Utd could match their spending power. Similar with Man City. Now, we'd have to usurp Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, and Woolwich. All have much better squads and most have massive spending power. We'd have to buy elite players in every position and we'd need to get almost every transfer right. Transfermarkt has our squad's market value around £300m, the clubs I mentioned are 2-3 times that.

Nah, it makes way more sense to build solid foundations and improve bit by bit. It'll still be an accelerated improvement, but Champions League football won't be in the 3-4 seasons. Hell, I'm just happy we've got the pigeon carcass out of the netting above the Gallowgate and cleaned the windows.

and a great atmosphere.. The good times are definitely on their way.

Beat them twice this season and I might even watch repeats of Spender, Auf Wiedersehn pet, when the boat comes in and start listening to Cheryl Cole and Lindisfarne records.. I'd even go as far as watching Ant and Dec on I'm a celebrity.
Do that and you might spot me in the background, they recorded 1 episode at my school.

Atmosphere has been great since the takeover, I aim to enjoy it for as long as possible. Got to be a way to keep the locals invested and the tourists out. I know we've got rail seating sections now, but I don't want us to become like Man City and so jaded by success we don't show up or sing when we're there.

I don't think we can do that. FFP and the change in the footballing landscape means that kind of meteroic rise isn't possible.

When Chelsea did it, they had to usurp 1 or 2 clubs and only Man Utd could match their spending power. Similar with Man City. Now, we'd have to usurp Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, and Woolwich. All have much better squads and most have massive spending power. We'd have to buy elite players in every position and we'd need to get almost every transfer right. Transfermarkt has our squad's market value around £300m, the clubs I mentioned are 2-3 times that.

Nah, it makes way more sense to build solid foundations and improve bit by bit. It'll still be an accelerated improvement, but Champions League football won't be in the 3-4 seasons. Hell, I'm just happy we've got the pigeon carcass out of the netting above the Gallowgate and cleaned the windows.
I agree, you are looking at a 5 or 6 year process. Which goes to my original point ... if you can't overpay to get him, why would Maddison join a team that might be competitive when he hits 30?

My bet is that unless a Champions League team or Man United come in for him he will sit it out to the last days of the window to see what his options are.

I agree, you are looking at a 5 or 6 year process. Which goes to my original point ... if you can't overpay to get him, why would Maddison join a team that might be competitive when he hits 30?

My bet is that unless a Champions League team or Man United come in for him he will sit it out to the last days of the window to see what his options are.
Well, honestly, I dunno. Rumours are that he's after a new contract and Leicester can't afford it, also Leicester are looking to reduce their wage bill. They'd prefer to offload some well-paid deadwood, but they can't get much interest in those players. Schmeichel leaving, plus Fofana to Chelsea appear to back up these rumours.

So, that's why he may leave. As to why he'd join us, I could talk about the project, or the club size or horse shit like that, but in truth it's money. We can afford to give him a bigger wage than Leicester.

You know as well as I do that he could sign a well paid 5yr deal, declare that he wants to take us into the CL and he's here for the long term, then leave next season for Juventus, Man City or whomever.

I don't know which CL club would pay £60m+ for James Maddison but I agree that until we or a CL club go in with an over the top with the valuation, he'll stay at Leicester.

Back
Top Bottom