Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Newcastle have begun talks to sign Barcelona midfielder Philippe Coutinho, 28, after Bayern Munich decided they will not be taking up their option to sign the Brazil international on a permanent deal. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

The Magpies have also identified Liverpool midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri, 28, as a major transfer target this summer. The Switzerland international has played just 10 times for the Reds this season. (Mail)

The ยฃ300m Saudi Arabia-funded takeover of Newcastle is in doubt after the World Trade Organisation ruled that the country is behind a pirate TV and streaming service that offers illegal access to sporting events. (Guardian)

The pirated streaming of games might prove to be a real issue in this deal, from what I can see one of more parties need to make a very unlikely compromise:

- beIN sports allow the illegal streaming of games, for which they have paid the PL the rights (sets a pretty unworkable precedent for the PL TV deals going forward)
- Saudi Arabia and Qatar end their trade embargo and start showing beIN sports in SA again
- Saudi Arabia agree to stop the illegal streaming but then can't show any PL games at all

The pirated streaming of games might prove to be a real issue in this deal, from what I can see one of more parties need to make a very unlikely compromise:

- beIN sports allow the illegal streaming of games, for which they have paid the PL the rights (sets a pretty unworkable precedent for the PL TV deals going forward)
- Saudi Arabia and Qatar end their trade embargo and start showing beIN sports in SA again
- Saudi Arabia agree to stop the illegal streaming but then can't show any PL games at all
Or the Saudis just throw money at it. until all the problems magically disappear...

But surely Saudi Arabia can't agree to stop the streaming as that would mean admitting they were culpable in it in the first place, which they have always denied (despite heavy evidence)?

yKYtOigmpaM9-d7xJRZxyM5FL-3ssP3QHcf3v1XlfyuWQHscstyFIOgPR8zrrnb0NLv3Hy2jCYKQC9doBDQagLKbrDKbUU6EWh_zko8LwWiv1G1kOg_F_jiHEknUB0GL6izkgRU0EvIelL6uUoSOmAHm9nH1qLPAPQVfPw

I'm not sure we should expect some Man City esque rise from Newcastle. Coutinho and Bale aren't moving to the North East to play under Steve Bruce.

Everton have invested a huge amount in top players and a world class coach, and look where that has got them.

I'm not sure we should expect some Man City esque rise from Newcastle. Coutinho and Bale aren't moving to the North East to play under Steve Bruce.

What's so different between that vs City and Hughes? It didn't happen overnight but it DID happen.... Robinho didn't even realise what club he'd signed for FFS! Money talks.

Everton have invested a huge amount in top players and a world class coach, and look where that has got them.

Everton haven't bought top players (lol) and have had their 'world class' coach for about a mere month or so.

What's so different between that vs City and Hughes? It didn't happen overnight but it DID happen.... Robinho didn't even realise what club he'd signed for FFS! Money talks.

Everton haven't bought top players (lol) and have had their 'world class' coach for about a mere month or so.

They haven't, but they have spent huge money on average ones, which is the boat Newcastle will be in.

They haven't, but they have spent huge money on average ones, which is the boat Newcastle will be in.

Same was said about City.... As I've already said "it didn't happen overnight but it DID happen". Everton isn't likely to keep pushing their spending up and up a level.... Like City, the Saudis are.

Same was said about City.... As I've already said "it didn't happen overnight but it DID happen". Everton isn't likely to keep pushing their spending up and up a level.... Like City, the Saudis are.
FFP makes it slightly more difficult to achieve what City did, it took them a while with basically no restrictions to begin with.

FFP makes it slightly more difficult to achieve what City did, it took them a while with basically no restrictions to begin with.

Look at all their sponsorship deals (and now the trans-league player farming system the have in place).... I assume Saudi Upon Tyne FC can do similar to exploit the rules.... Pay a few fines to help jumpstart the whole process top perhaps.... Unless you think FFP is rock solid?

Back
Top Bottom