Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have our own problems here, of course, but Mike Ashley is a real piece of work. It must be absolute torture having to endure him.
It is.

At first he seemed to be the perfect owner; billionaire, averse to the spotlight, drinks with the fans etc. But after the first relegation he sacked off any kind of ambition and investment for the club. He's had match going fans of over 30yrs bin their season ticket, devalued the club, turned us from a team regularly in Europe into one regularly fighting (and twice succumbing to) relegation.

It's shit and this takeover filled the fanbase with hope beyond hope. Not only the back of him, but the promise of unreal riches and local regeneration. More than we dared to dream of.

At least it's clear he wants out.

I think the O&D test should look at the bidders behaviours and protect clubs from nefarious owners, it should be able to refuse a bid from a murderous regime (if they're satisfied that the bidders and the state are one and the same), but it doesn't. This has failed because the PL insisted that PIF and KSA are the same entity and therefore have been pirating the property of the Premier League for years. The buying side could have resolved these issues if it had taken sufficient measures to tackle piracy, or at least abide by the WTO ruling.

My overriding emotion is disappointment. We're stuck with Ashley for the foreseeable (and make no mistake the excitement was chiefly about getting rid of him).

You're right that the Saudis intent was not altruistic, it was purely self-serving. But honestly, if millions were pumped into the region, I'm not sure the locals would really care which government was investing there as they've been neglected by our own for so long.

Hopefully we'll still be sold, hopefully the new owners will have the ambition and wherewithal to provide a little joy on Tyneside, hopefully we can put this whole sorry saga behind us.
100% agree on the bidding process, the Russian interference stuff spotlights just how systemic and corrupt things are and in fact will go higher than the PL in these cases as our government actively sought to encourage overseas "investment" for decades, without a second thought or a complete disregard of where the "investments" were coming from so long as they were made and those with fingers in pies all made from it.

The proposed investment in the area was nothing more than what is at the heart of what sports washing is. Flash the cash = buy support and turbocharge that support when it comes to a football club and it's partisan supporter base, to a level where they even defend a regime akin to the Third Reich. To be honest, I don't think Newcastle City has been neglected by means of investment, in fact it's in UK's top 10, although I acknowledge it might not be felt by the average man on the street (London is a prime example which hoovers up all the investment but many living there are simply struggling to put food on the table), capital investments are really only designed to reward the shareholders of those companies awarded the contracts to fulfil what that "investment" is.

It is.

At first he seemed to be the perfect owner; billionaire, averse to the spotlight, drinks with the fans etc. But after the first relegation he sacked off any kind of ambition and investment for the club. He's had match going fans of over 30yrs bin their season ticket, devalued the club, turned us from a team regularly in Europe into one regularly fighting (and twice succumbing to) relegation.

It's shit and this takeover filled the fanbase with hope beyond hope. Not only the back of him, but the promise of unreal riches and local regeneration. More than we dared to dream of.

At least it's clear he wants out.

Cry me a river.... Better still go cry on your own damn forum.

Cobblers.... Your lot are always complaining about lack of spending (not the academy or poor scouting)...

You think 40m was spent in hope that Joelinton was shit do you? ....Who gets the credit when signings go well (St Maximan)? ....Not Ashley or Bruce that's for damn sure.

It's not a case of "catching" Spurs.... Why not aspire to our financial model?

Again, why envy Everton rather than Burnely? ....Why not Southampton?

Again... £££££.

Again, it's your lot feeling they have a divine right to shiny things.

Lol.... Rafa. More superficiality.

Poor Brucie.
Poor Big Sam.
Poor Chrissy Houghton.
That's talksport bollocks man.

To aspire to your model we'd have to a) already be a european team, b) be a London team and c) have the right owners/directors.

It's a bridge too far to aim for that right now.

Southampton's a good shout, I personally like Brighton's Technical Director and Brentford's approach too.

It's weird though, isn't it. We're repeatedly told we're not a big club and yet when pundits are asked, when polls are run, when conversations are had, we're often listed in the top 10. I don't think any of us would claim to be in the same universe as Manchester United, or Liverpool. Nor would most think we're currently as big as Chelsea, or Woolwich, or Spurs. There's a few who would use a very specific set of criteria to put us on a level with Villa or Everton, but personally? I don't care much about that.

I'd comfortably and confidently say Newcastle United are one of the 10 'biggest' clubs in the country right now. With the right owner & manager we could well close the gap on the teams above us
Yet you came 13th in the PL. Leeds are a bigger club than you guys and they'll be about next season.

100% agree on the bidding process, the Russian interference stuff spotlights just how systemic and corrupt things are and in fact will go higher than the PL in these cases as our government actively sought to encourage overseas "investment" for decades, without a second thought or a complete disregard of where the "investments" were coming from so long as they were made and those with fingers in pies all made from it.

The proposed investment in the area was nothing more than what is at the heart of what sports washing is. Flash the cash = buy support and turbocharge that support when it comes to a football club and it's partisan supporter base, to a level where they even defend a regime akin to the Third Reich. To be honest, I don't think Newcastle City has been neglected by means of investment, in fact it's in UK's top 10, although I acknowledge it might not be felt by the average man on the street (London is a prime example which hoovers up all the investment but many living there are simply struggling to put food on the table), capital investments are really only designed to reward the shareholders of those companies awarded the contracts to fulfil what that "investment" is.
Oh absolutely. But I'll use Man City as an example, the area around their stadium has benefited from the sportswashing. And not just from UAE, other parties attracted by their regeneration have contributed to the regeneration.

Aye, but Mansour is the Deputy PM of UAE and a member of the Royal Family.
The Arab Kingdoms are generally fairly closed, but I think the Saudi royal family is on another level. They are not interested in explaining what they see as essentially an internal family matter, and certainly not to the Premier League.

Yet you came 13th in the PL. Leeds are a bigger club than you guys and they'll be about next season.
Are they? By what measure? Trophies won?

And if they are, they finished lower than us, which your first sentence suggest that precludes a club from being bigger than those ahead of them in 1 season.

50 biggest clubs in Britain. Newcastle not in the top 10. 👀
Say you are about 30 years old, the first Newcastle team you were aware of was probably the Keegan "entertainers". You watched them, your Dad raved about them. I don't think it is surprising that expectations are high in that group of fans, they saw the mountain top.

That's talksport bollocks man.

To aspire to your model we'd have to a) already be a european team, b) be a London team and c) have the right owners/directors.

It's not.... That's just a cop out on your part.

I have friends that are Newcastle fans.... Shearer chats this kind of shit... You have also in posts gone by.... It comes from all corners.

It's a bridge too far to aim for that right now.

Southampton's a good shout, I personally like Brighton's Technical Director and Brentford's approach too.

Funny how I'm the one pointing such clubs out to you isn't it?

Burnley aren't a European team.... Or based in London.... They run a tight as fuck ship.... Yet you'd have hounded Dyche out long ago.... Even if he'd been doing a better job than a Fat Spanish Waiter(*)....

(*Fact is the only reason you hold Rafa in high regard is a) Name value and he made you feel big time and b) cos was politicking against your owner to the press - even though he does that everywhere.)

Apparently us and Liverpool were lobbying the PL to make sure it didnt go through.

Understandable if true. Us and Liverpool would have the most to lose by another state sponsored club.
Something tells me they were more influenced by Liverpools voice than ours!
Glad it fell through for footballing reasons mainly. If they started challenging for top 4 then it would make our task even more difficult.

They’re not a top club with any history of success, but they’re definitely big in terms of local popularity.

I agree with your point that they’re not or should not be considered a top club, but they are definitely well supported. I now live in Bristol and it’s clear that Bristol City have a huge following. Right now they would sell out a 40k stadium if they had one, so I think there are ‘big’ clubs under the radar that are more deserving of attention than others.

Newcastle will never struggle for support.
Is that true about Bristol city? So if a wealthy owner bought them & got them in to the premiership & made there stadium bigger/new stadium. They would probably would get 40k in. I know there are a lot of people there so you are probably right.
I also wonder if Sheffield weds would sell out if they were back in the premiership. Or they wouldn't as most of the youngsters have chosen other premiership teams to support since they were last in it. Same goes for forest too.

Back
Top Bottom