Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didnt say training ground or facilities, I said academy/youth. And I didnt say 'more investment''

But that means diverting funds (maybe £10m pa - but even £5m could make a difference+) from transfer fund/player wages (or wherever) into getting the youngsters in (and Newcastle have got a great catchment area - its just that even going back to Shearer and Carrick, the better players went elsewhere, to Southampton in Shearer's case and West Ham in Carrick's case - and Wham's youth facilities are still shit) and developing them.

As I say, once the acdemy starts to produce youth players its a big advantage. But it is a long term investment of maybe 3-5 years to get markedly better players through - hence not popular with many fans.
That all goes together though, it’s something Levy should get more credit for.

Academy players like Mason, Townsend and Bentaleb were good enough to keep us going and free up money for the training ground, which provides a framework that attracts better players, which translates into Champions League and financing for a new stadium.

It’s a strategic plan, not just find a spare Arab, and it has taken a long time.

If people are saying there isn’t a kid that can be developed to be a Steve Howey, Robbie Elliott or Steve Watson somewhere in Geordieland today I’m not having it.

You asked why I didn't aspire to Burnley, I don't because I see the ceiling to their ambitions is lower than I'd want, whereas Everton's ambitions are where I want Newcastle to be aiming for.

Yes, and you're proving you'd rather big(ger) spending over visible progress.

Investment in the club from sponsors etc. It wasn't a complicated point, I'm shocked you missed it.

Well this entire thing is about ownership, so maybe you should have specified.... Besides, if you are a big club then why aren't you attracting sponsorship..... Massive fabase etc.

Again, I'd rather Southampton or Everton's ambitions ahead of Burnley's.

(See above)

You'd prefer some intangible notion of comparative "ambition" than a model that is has proven effective.

Ashley turned us into a club aiming for survival. Allardyce fucked the team over.

Allardyce deliberately got rid of technically gifted midfielders and replaced them with cloggers. He built a team to not lose, rather than one aiming for Europe.

You're saying he'd prefer a relagation battle to chipping away at Europe? Pffffff.... Rubbish!

Chances created, chances permitted, goals scored, goals conceded, points won, defensive strength, attacking efficacy, midfield control, tactical acumen, tactical reaction, game management, squad management, ambition, I could go on if you like?

It's evidence that Bruce was not an ambitious appointment, it wasn't a sound appointment based on a long term plan, it was a "Fuck it, lets get one of the old guard in, that'll do." No other team wanted him because he doesn't take a team forward, he's not a successful manager, he's not a young manager with the potential to improve. He's like Moyes, or Pardew, or McClarenor Allardyce.

Yet we warmly took to Hguhton's pragmatic football, and to Benitez's too. So that's another talksport line of bullshit. "Geordies would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0" It's bollocks.

I never said that.... I'm going off of your comments about shit football and just pointing out that revering the shit football and mediocre results of Rafa and his relegation battle is proof of your hypocricy.

You were never in genuine trouble this year, yet Rafa was better than Bruce cos allegedly the football was better....

You're tying yourself in knots.

Academy players like Mason, Townsend and Bentaleb were good enough to keep us going and free up money for the training ground, which provides a framework that attracts better players, which translates into Champions League and financing for a new stadium.

It’s a strategic plan, not just find a spare Arab, and it has taken a long time.

If people are saying there isn’t a kid that can be developed to be a Steve Howey, Robbie Elliott or Steve Watson somewhere in Geordieland today I’m not having it.
Of course there is and we're seeing even to this day that a failure to cultivate local talent by the current owner is costing us.

But failure to invest in the academy isn't the fault of the fans. Especially as our calls for this kind of investment have been ignored.

Yes, and you're proving you'd rather big(ger) spending over visible progress.
Where, in all our pointless circular fucking conversations have I demanded big spending?

Well this entire thing is about ownership, so maybe you should have specified.... Besides, if you are a big club then why aren't you attracting sponsorship..... Massive fabase etc.
Not in europe, owner who'd rather his Sports Tat shop is plastered over the stadium than have outside investment, brands not wanting to be associated with Sports Direct, the two recent relegations, our decline as a brand under Ashley's watch, etc.

(See above)

You'd prefer some intangible notion of comparative "ambition" than a model that is has proven effective.
Burnley's model works for Burnley at the minute, should they want to grow their club they will need to change that model.

You're saying he'd prefer a relagation battle to chipping away at Europe? Pffffff.... Rubbish!
No, that's not what I'm saying. Allardyce builds teams not to lose, that's his shtick. He turned a team that played on the deck and had been in Europe, into a team of cloggers that would survive in the Premier League by drawing with literally the worst team in PL history because he played not to lose.

I never said that.... I'm going off of your comments about shit football and just pointing out that revering the shit football and mediocre results of Rafa and his relegation battle is proof of your hypocricy.
Bruce's football is both boring and shit. Benitez' football may have been boring but it was the application of an effective plan. Play like we did this year in the 20/21 season and it's likely we'll go down. We were terrible this year and a combination of good fortune and good 'keeping kept us out of it.

You were never in genuine trouble this year, yet Rafa was better than Bruce cos allegedly the football was better....
We were in trouble this year, you've not been paying attention if you say we weren't.

You're tying yourself in knots.
I'm really not. I'm replying to your shifting goalposts and partisan reconstruction of reality.

But, this is pointless. Your entire side of the conversation can be boiled down to "I don't like Newcastle United fans". I'm sure this is boring for everyone else, so I'm done replying to you.

Where, in all our pointless circular fucking conversations have I demanded big spending?

I said it's evident you want bigger spending (notable difference to "demanding big spending").... It's all too evident.... I've broken down why several times....

In a nutshell, you want 'Everton', not 'Burnley'... You've confirmed this over and over..... Yet there's nothing to envy in Everton apart from their ability to waste money; no vision, no style of football, no managerial stability.

Not in europe, owner who'd rather his Sports Tat shop is plastered over the stadium than have outside investment, brands not wanting to be associated with Sports Direct, the two recent relegations, our decline as a brand under Ashley's watch, etc.

So Europe means Burnely & Saints are more marketable than you even though you boast a "massive" fanbase (and boy do ya'll boast!) and reside in a major city etc. Ref: Sports Direct; a club is able to have more than one sponsor you know.....

Burnley's model works for Burnley at the minute, should they want to grow their club they will need to change that model.

Change of model? ....You mean more more spent don't you? (Refer back to top of this post)

Funny, we haven't done too bad without much net spend.... Once again, without explicitly saying so you seem to think spending is the only way to get into Europe.

We were in trouble this year, you've not been paying attention if you say we weren't.

No more trouble that Brighton and the teams directly above the bottom 5 were... Norwich have been as good as gone since xmas so it's been a battle to not be as shit as Villa and one B'muff/WHam or Watford.... (*Suprised Villa stayed up, but that's another story.).... You finished 13th and on 44points.... I understand any potential peril is more emotional/real than it would be for a neutral; but the neutrals never feared for your safety. Did, any week on MOTD, Shearer say he was worried?

As for a partisan point of view... It's football.... What do you expect.... Hide behind the "ah ,that's talk sport shite" all you like but as I've already said my outlook is shaped by a combination of knowing a bunch of Barcodes, your comments and the likes of Shearer.

I'm not here to say I know your club better than you, but like the Dippers your lot are deluded as to how the outside world perceive you.... I know you guys view yourself as a special club.... But your not.

I'm done replying to you.

I'm cool with that.

Oh absolutely. But I'll use Man City as an example, the area around their stadium has benefited from the sportswashing. And not just from UAE, other parties attracted by their regeneration have contributed to the regeneration.
I'm aware that lots of investment went into an area around the ground, by far the biggest beneficiaries have been the football club with it's training complex. But I believe there was also some shite house that got demolished and new flats and houses(?) put up too. I don't know enough about the types of homes that were built and what percentage of them were "affordable" or indeed what happened to the occupants living in the original homes that were pulled down. Being a cynic on these matters it wouldn't surprise me one iota that the original occupants were shoved away from the area, whilst a new upwardly mobile bunch moved in.

Imagine having to be beholden to Hitler and feeling grateful for his investment that enabled you to live in a nice flat with a balcony???

I've been to the waterfront at Old Trafford which was uninhabited a decade ago is now home to the BBC and many other businesses and shiny new offices and flats and hotels.

You asked why I didn't aspire to Burnley, I don't because I see the ceiling to their ambitions is lower than I'd want, whereas Everton's ambitions are where I want Newcastle to be aiming for.

Investment in the club from sponsors etc. It wasn't a complicated point, I'm shocked you missed it.

Again, I'd rather Southampton or Everton's ambitions ahead of Burnley's.

Ashley turned us into a club aiming for survival. Allardyce fucked the team over.

Allardyce deliberately got rid of technically gifted midfielders and replaced them with cloggers. He built a team to not lose, rather than one aiming for Europe.

Chances created, chances permitted, goals scored, goals conceded, points won, defensive strength, attacking efficacy, midfield control, tactical acumen, tactical reaction, game management, squad management, ambition, I could go on if you like?

It's evidence that Bruce was not an ambitious appointment, it wasn't a sound appointment based on a long term plan, it was a "Fuck it, lets get one of the old guard in, that'll do." No other team wanted him because he doesn't take a team forward, he's not a successful manager, he's not a young manager with the potential to improve. He's like Moyes, or Pardew, or McClarenor Allardyce.

Yet we warmly took to Hguhton's pragmatic football, and to Benitez's too. So that's another talksport line of bullshit. "Geordies would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0" It's bollocks.

We don't need a Saudi takeover to make a fist of the Premier League, we need an owner with the ambition and wherewithal to deliver. Hell, Ashley could deliver a decent return if only he employed the right people and allowed them control instead of Joe Kinnear, Dennis Wise, Alan Pardew, John Carver, Steve McClaren, and Steve Bruce.

Pretty obvious isn't it? The position above was Burnley's position when they stuck with Dyche.
You’re talking to a paid ENIC cunt - don’t bother

So close!

tenor.gif

I didnt say training ground or facilities, I said academy/youth. And I didnt say 'more investment''

But that means diverting funds (maybe £10m pa - but even £5m could make a difference+) from transfer fund/player wages (or wherever) into getting the youngsters in (and Newcastle have got a great catchment area - its just that even going back to Shearer and Carrick, the better players went elsewhere, to Southampton in Shearer's case and West Ham in Carrick's case - and Wham's youth facilities are still shit) and developing them.

As I say, once the acdemy starts to produce youth players its a big advantage. But it is a long term investment of maybe 3-5 years to get markedly better players through - hence not popular with many fans.

More like 5-10.

Actually I'd say it is popular with fans. There's a real sense of pride and achievement if "one of our own" comes through the ranks. I think it's great if someone like for instance Winks makes it - he grew up in a Spurs mad household and was a fan from when he could kick a ball.

With all the money floating around the game, and with transfer costs increasing year on year, it seems crazy for any club not to invest significantly in their academy.

Agreed, a great success story. His biggest triumph imo. And on a personal level it's revolutionised the lives of a lot of kids who went through it successfully. The stadium may yet turn out to be the bigger success story, but it's hard to see how we could have even planned the stadium without the success of the academy.

More like 5-10.

Actually I'd say it is popular with fans. There's a real sense of pride and achievement if "one of our own" comes through the ranks. I think it's great if someone like for instance Winks makes it - he grew up in a Spurs mad household and was a fan from when he could kick a ball.

With all the money floating around the game, and with transfer costs increasing year on year, it seems crazy for any club not to invest significantly in their academy.

Yes, our fans love Winksy, yes indeedy...

:mourloopy:

Certainly the person, the footballer not so much. I think most fans see him for what he is: a decent squad player.

Sure but even with that viewpoint, it saves buying some squad players.

In Poch's first season we were playing Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb as our first choice CM2, Danny Rose at LB plus Harry Kane and Andros Townsend played in probably a third of games too.

Which suggests with a bit of time to develop the academy lads, and a bit of luck, that you can get to have say 25% of your squad as club trained (by CL definition) and get to at least mid table, which is where Newcastle wants to at least establish itself as before pushing on from there.

Newcastle and their fans didn't deserve this. Disgraceful by the Premier League. 4 fucking months on hold doing nothing with owner that doesn't give a fuck. Must be the worst.

Is that true about Bristol city? So if a wealthy owner bought them & got them in to the premiership & made there stadium bigger/new stadium. They would probably would get 40k in. I know there are a lot of people there so you are probably right.
I also wonder if Sheffield weds would sell out if they were back in the premiership. Or they wouldn't as most of the youngsters have chosen other premiership teams to support since they were last in it. Same goes for forest too.

I think so. They added an impressive new stand and have had no problems selling out. I live on that side of town and there’s definitely a lot of support for them. I’d probably consider getting a season ticket myself if they went up, despite preferring Rovers.

Their cup wins over City and United apparently had incredible atmospheres.

Back
Top Bottom