Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we are relegated, I'd imagine Ashley will stay as owner until we get back up, however long that might be. No chance of Ashley selling shares to the Trust, and I'd imagine any new owner would just pay lip service to fan engagement without diluting their ownership (as Ashley did with the ill-fated Fans Forum charade).

At the very least local charities might benefit, and it may foster a greater sense of involvement for the fans that pledge.
Haway Fishy!!!

Unlucky last weekend, your Dinosaur outplaying our Dinosaur, you should have taken all three points in the El Jurasico derby.

Haway Fishy!!!

Unlucky last weekend, your Dinosaur outplaying our Dinosaur, you should have taken all three points in the El Jurasico derby.
Woolwich friend of mine asked if I'd take Mourinho after he's fired by Spurs, he always speaks well of us (obviously a hangover from his time with Sir Bobby) he's got a good pedigree, works best as the manager of an underdog and all that. But frankly he's a Waitrose version of the Aldi Bruce/Allardyce etc. Stuck in the past, falls out with players, media and fans, and of course it's NEVER their fault.

Weird that both fanbases are fed up of their manager, their performances and the men with their hands on the money. I'd swap your situation for ours in a fucking heartbeat, but weird, none the less.

If we are relegated, I'd imagine Ashley will stay as owner until we get back up, however long that might be. No chance of Ashley selling shares to the Trust, and I'd imagine any new owner would just pay lip service to fan engagement without diluting their ownership (as Ashley did with the ill-fated Fans Forum charade).

At the very least local charities might benefit, and it may foster a greater sense of involvement for the fans that pledge.
Does the following conspiracy theory have any legs?

1. Newcastle get themselves relegated by telling Bruce to sabotage the team.
2. Released from Premier League rules the Saudi group buy the club, Ashley walks away with a tidy profit.
3. Saudis pump in money, buy Aguero, Messi etc. and romp the Championship.
4. Presto! Premier League club under Saudi ownership.

Woolwich friend of mine asked if I'd take Mourinho after he's fired by Spurs, he always speaks well of us (obviously a hangover from his time with Sir Bobby) he's got a good pedigree, works best as the manager of an underdog and all that. But frankly he's a Waitrose version of the Aldi Bruce/Allardyce etc. Stuck in the past, falls out with players, media and fans, and of course it's NEVER their fault.

Weird that both fanbases are fed up of their manager, their performances and the men with their hands on the money. I'd swap your situation for ours in a fucking heartbeat, but weird, none the less.
Did you see the fan survey thingy that was going around tinternet the other week, had our two fanbases the most dissatisfied with their current manager?!!

At least with Bruce, you don't have any Brusistas LOOOOL, this cult-like army of cunts swimming over every negative comment aimed at Mourinho retaliating with just how good he was 20yrs ago at Porto and he's not struggling it's just that all the players are utter shit and the previous manager is all to blame and the owners should spend £100m on a new centre back!! Whilst on the back of an absolute dross performance against lower league Farmers.

Does the following conspiracy theory have any legs?

1. Newcastle get themselves relegated by telling Bruce to sabotage the team.
2. Released from Premier League rules the Saudi group buy the club, Ashley walks away with a tidy profit.
3. Saudis pump in money, buy Aguero, Messi etc. and romp the Championship.
4. Presto! Premier League club under Saudi ownership.

1. Bruce needs no such instructions.
2. The Saudis might not still be interested, and surely they'd be less interested in a Championship club. Plus, relegation would wipe £100m off the valuation of the club instantly. Then, there's still the question marks over separation between PIF and KSA. The EFL test may be more lax, but surely something as fundamental as 'Who actually owns the club' will still be important?
3. Although that would be hilarious, I'm not sure Messi can do it on a wet Wednesday night at Deepdale.
4. Prefer Palotta + Ruebens/Orleggi group.

Did you see the fan survey thingy that was going around tinternet the other week, had our two fanbases the most dissatisfied with their current manager?!!

At least with Bruce, you don't have any Brusistas LOOOOL, this cult-like army of cunts swimming over every negative comment aimed at Mourinho retaliating with just how good he was 20yrs ago at Porto and he's not struggling it's just that all the players are utter shit and the previous manager is all to blame and the owners should spend £100m on a new centre back!! Whilst on the back of an absolute dross performance against lower league Farmers.
I think we ranked lowest in almost all the categories? No surprise. Beginning of this season promised a little more; seemingly good signings like Wilson, Fraser, Lewis, opportunity to build on the solid finish to last season, the hope that the club would be sold to somebody even if it wasn't the Bond villains, young lads coming through. But this season has been awful, worst football I've watched in over 30yrs from us. Bruce blaming everyone from the players, the media, the fans (even though we've not been in the ground).

Mourinho fans are a weird breed, they've fully bought into the myth of the man. He's not been at the top for years and the style that brought success is outdated. I'd not be surprised if he ended up doing the rounds of struggling 'bigger' clubs of the Premier League. Taking over at West Ham, Villa, ourselves when we, again, find ourselves at the wrong end of the table.

You lot should be managed by someone like Tuchel, or Nagelsmann. Young, forward thinking, innovative. You've got the players, the grounds, the infrastructure, the renown, you shouldn't be struggling to bury teams likes Newcastle.

I think we ranked lowest in almost all the categories? No surprise. Beginning of this season promised a little more; seemingly good signings like Wilson, Fraser, Lewis, opportunity to build on the solid finish to last season, the hope that the club would be sold to somebody even if it wasn't the Bond villains, young lads coming through. But this season has been awful, worst football I've watched in over 30yrs from us. Bruce blaming everyone from the players, the media, the fans (even though we've not been in the ground).

Mourinho fans are a weird breed, they've fully bought into the myth of the man. He's not been at the top for years and the style that brought success is outdated. I'd not be surprised if he ended up doing the rounds of struggling 'bigger' clubs of the Premier League. Taking over at West Ham, Villa, ourselves when we, again, find ourselves at the wrong end of the table.

You lot should be managed by someone like Tuchel, or Nagelsmann. Young, forward thinking, innovative. You've got the players, the grounds, the infrastructure, the renown, you shouldn't be struggling to bury teams likes Newcastle.
I'm so old I rember being painful painfully jealous of that Newcastle team with Asprilla Albert and Lee.

I'm so old I rember being painful painfully jealous of that Newcastle team with Asprilla Albert and Lee.
Referred to as the 'Glory Years'. Glory years where we won nowt...

Surprised you picked those three and not Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola, Beardsley, etc. Don't get me wrong, Tino, Philippe and Rob were amazing, but when I think of that team, they're not the first that spring to mind.

Can you lot see Mourinho staying beyond the end of the season? Kane too?

I think Mourinho wouldn't dare drop a level of Club outside the "traditional PL top/big 6". Only Club I could see him manager in Spain is Atleti, possibly back in Italy there are opportunities that wouldn't rule out Juve who look to have become a club focused on their shareprice. In Germany they appear to all have their heads screwed on, so no chance.

There would have been a massive payday in China but looks like that ship has already sailed.

There is a trend right now for big clubs signing ex-players as their managers which rules him out as he wasn't a player, so feel it will be an International Team. Portugal would be perfect for him, low-block is their speciality and something they've played for years now, I actually think he could be a successful International Manager, where the football style is secondary to the festival of the tournament itself, most teams adopt a highly pragmatic approach to tournament football anyway, even he couldn't piss off individual players over within a month-long tournament, could he!!?!

I think Mourinho wouldn't dare drop a level of Club outside the "traditional PL top/big 6". Only Club I could see him manager in Spain is Atleti, possibly back in Italy there are opportunities that wouldn't rule out Juve who look to have become a club focused on their shareprice. In Germany they appear to all have their heads screwed on, so no chance.

There would have been a massive payday in China but looks like that ship has already sailed.

There is a trend right now for big clubs signing ex-players as their managers which rules him out as he wasn't a player, so feel it will be an International Team. Portugal would be perfect for him, low-block is their speciality and something they've played for years now, I actually think he could be a successful International Manager, where the football style is secondary to the festival of the tournament itself, most teams adopt a highly pragmatic approach to tournament football anyway, even he couldn't piss off individual players over within a month-long tournament, could he!!?!
He'd give it a go.

I think you're bang on, International Football is probably best for him.

Who'd you have to replace him?

He'd give it a go.

I think you're bang on, International Football is probably best for him.

Who'd you have to replace him?
Bruce, Allardyce, Moyes, Pullis & Warnock would all do no worse (Moyes is doing a far better job than him in the Dinosaur candidates).

But you've already listed my top pick who would be Nagglesmann, I think the fit would be perfect for both given where the club and he sit within the football highrachy and what expectations come on either side.

I also think Ralf Rangnick would actually have a bigger impact at the Club than the hire of a manager right now. The need for a DoF is becoming clearer and clearer at the Club, we've failed miserably in this department for years now, many attempts have been made all turning out as failures. With Rangnick you get an experienced manager, who will be equipped to take direct control of the team today (he's also available today) but I'd task him with the job of finding a manager (which could well turn out to be Nagglesmann), once in place I'd be more than happy to entrust him with all football operations included the Women's team.

Bruce, Allardyce, Moyes, Pullis & Warnock would all do no worse (Moyes is doing a far better job than him in the Dinosaur candidates).

But you've already listed my top pick who would be Nagglesmann, I think the fit would be perfect for both given where the club and he sit within the football highrachy and what expectations come on either side.

I also think Ralf Rangnick would actually have a bigger impact at the Club than the hire of a manager right now. The need for a DoF is becoming clearer and clearer at the Club, we've failed miserably in this department for years now, many attempts have been made all turning out as failures. With Rangnick you get an experienced manager, who will be equipped to take direct control of the team today (he's also available today) but I'd task him with the job of finding a manager (which could well turn out to be Nagglesmann), once in place I'd be more than happy to entrust him with all football operations included the Women's team.
Similar situation at our place, a decent DoF instead of Dennis fucking Wise could have avoided all the issues of Ashley's reign. Honestly, feels like he was burned by a bad DoF and sacked the idea off entirely. When in reality, a good DoF could have made the most out of his parsimonious approach to the club. Our scouts found undervalued players like Cabaye, Sissoko, Perez and sold them all for big sums, that should have been reinvested sensibly, instead of signing the likes of Cabella, Thauvin, Riviere et al.

Honestly, when Pochettino left, your club should have already had in mind a few candidates whose football wasn't a massive departure and who could have used the platform he built to take you further or at least consolidated. Instead you've got an outdated manager who's more interested in his reputation than the future of Tottenham and who's more likely to get you 10th than Champions League.

Referred to as the 'Glory Years'. Glory years where we won nowt...

Surprised you picked those three and not Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola, Beardsley, etc. Don't get me wrong, Tino, Philippe and Rob were amazing, but when I think of that team, they're not the first that spring to mind.

Can you lot see Mourinho staying beyond the end of the season? Kane too?
The others get all the glory . But I thought Albert was one hell of a footballer. Asprilla joining was the moment I thought you would win the lot so stuck in my head and Lee just worked his nuts off.

According to Martin Samuel kane is off to Chelsea. An idea that actually makes less sense than him joining the Moonies and quitting the game...

Similar situation at our place, a decent DoF instead of Dennis fucking Wise could have avoided all the issues of Ashley's reign. Honestly, feels like he was burned by a bad DoF and sacked the idea off entirely. When in reality, a good DoF could have made the most out of his parsimonious approach to the club. Our scouts found undervalued players like Cabaye, Sissoko, Perez and sold them all for big sums, that should have been reinvested sensibly, instead of signing the likes of Cabella, Thauvin, Riviere et al.

Honestly, when Pochettino left, your club should have already had in mind a few candidates whose football wasn't a massive departure and who could have used the platform he built to take you further or at least consolidated. Instead you've got an outdated manager who's more interested in his reputation than the future of Tottenham and who's more likely to get you 10th than Champions League.
Couldn't agree more about getting a like-minded coach in after Poch, our biggest failure from Levy in his entire tenure has been to rip up what Poch put in place by appointing a polar-opposite in Mourinho.

Every new manager appointment comes with a risk, many, many factors to consider but if the appointment doesn't work out there is still a consistency to the philosophy that underpinned unprecedented transformation at the Club. You just look for another with that can make small changes and tweaks and the theory is there should still be some consistency with performances even if a hire didn't work out. It beggars belief.

That period of Wise and his Youtube player compilations, along with Joe Kinnear were a truly mindblowing inept period. It gives us fans the genuine belief that we could step out from behind our computers and do a far better job ourselves.

There is something unbelievably broken at Newcastle, I get that all that can be lumped onto the Chairman and rightly so, he's a twat but the feeling is nothing in place throughout the entire structure of the club on any level of the infrastructure feels like its even at a mediocre level.

There other clubs with far fewer resources and history that are doing things much better. Whilst Southampton has never fully recovered from losing Cortsey, then Poch and then all their players, followed by Les Reid, there is still a sense that they have a far better infrastructure in place than Newcastle. Leicester, whilst cheating financial fair play to get them into PL have grown the Club brilliantly across all departments. The same can be said of Brighton and Burnley to I think.

Being in the Legaue to just stay in it means what resources are available are spent solely focused in the short term, living in panic every day just increases the chances of making bad decision after bad decision.

The others get all the glory . But I thought Albert was one hell of a footballer. Asprilla joining was the moment I thought you would win the lot so stuck in my head and Lee just worked his nuts off.

According to Martin Samuel kane is off to Chelsea. An idea that actually makes less sense than him joining the Moonies and quitting the game...
Albert was ahead of his time, good defender but glided around the pitch like a ballroom dancer. Glorious to watch and hasn't been bettered at St James' until Woodgate's short spell.

Tino is often the reason given as to why we lost out on the title that season (it's Batty's introduction for me). Another player who was just a joy to watch.

Lee's an absolute hero of mine, but doesn't often get the credit ahead of the 'bigger' names.

Kane would be daft to join Chelsea when a move to Man City would see him win trophy after trophy, work with a world class coach and improve his game further. Plus he'd have the best chance of catching up with Shearer's record.
Couldn't agree more about getting a like-minded coach in after Poch, our biggest failure from Levy in his entire tenure has been to rip up what Poch put in place by appointing a polar-opposite in Mourinho.

Every new manager appointment comes with a risk, many, many factors to consider but if the appointment doesn't work out there is still a consistency to the philosophy that underpinned unprecedented transformation at the Club. You just look for another with that can make small changes and tweaks and the theory is there should still be some consistency with performances even if a hire didn't work out. It beggars belief.

That period of Wise and his Youtube player compilations, along with Joe Kinnear were a truly mindblowing inept period. It gives us fans the genuine belief that we could step out from behind our computers and do a far better job ourselves.

There is something unbelievably broken at Newcastle, I get that all that can be lumped onto the Chairman and rightly so, he's a twat but the feeling is nothing in place throughout the entire structure of the club on any level of the infrastructure feels like its even at a mediocre level.

There other clubs with far fewer resources and history that are doing things much better. Whilst Southampton has never fully recovered from losing Cortsey, then Poch and then all their players, followed by Les Reid, there is still a sense that they have a far better infrastructure in place than Newcastle. Leicester, whilst cheating financial fair play to get them into PL have grown the Club brilliantly across all departments. The same can be said of Brighton and Burnley to I think.

Being in the Legaue to just stay in it means what resources are available are spent solely focused in the short term, living in panic every day just increases the chances of making bad decision after bad decision.
We've seen examples of clubs lurching from one style to another because the men at the top don't give due consideration to the football side of things. We went from Robson to Souness because we 'needed to sort the dressing room out'. We sharp became a very Souness side and lost the swagger we had under Robson. Same happened with Keegan->Dalglish, Roeder-> Allardyce, You've similarly gone from one of the most exciting, young teams in the league, to a fairly functional squad with a couple of stars in there. Stars who will surely leave, if Mourinho stays?

One thing I wanted to ask, if Kane does go, would Son, Alli, et al stay? Or would his departure start a bit of an exodus? Surely selling Kane is a tacit admission that the Chairman doesn't share their ambitions?

I think Ashley is the root of it all, and every poisoned branch is because of his contradictory nature. He appointed Charnley (a jumped up admin clerk) because it was easy and the bloke is toady lickspittle, he gifted roles and jobs to mates that they're not up to because he wants mates around regardless of competence, he's fallen out with club legends, managers, players, media, fans, all because he doesn't know what he's doing, but will only rely on people who agree with him.

Had he just found a DoF of some quality, that man could have kept us ticking over, brought managers and players into the club that would achieve the minimum targets year in, year out. Instead we've been justifiably laughed at for years.

He doesn't care about the club beyond it being an advertising vehicle for his tat, however he won't relinquish control of decisions to another. Either don't give a shit and back off, or do give a shit and get involved.

Albert was ahead of his time, good defender but glided around the pitch like a ballroom dancer. Glorious to watch and hasn't been bettered at St James' until Woodgate's short spell.

Tino is often the reason given as to why we lost out on the title that season (it's Batty's introduction for me). Another player who was just a joy to watch.

Lee's an absolute hero of mine, but doesn't often get the credit ahead of the 'bigger' names.

Kane would be daft to join Chelsea when a move to Man City would see him win trophy after trophy, work with a world class coach and improve his game further. Plus he'd have the best chance of catching up with Shearer's record.

We've seen examples of clubs lurching from one style to another because the men at the top don't give due consideration to the football side of things. We went from Robson to Souness because we 'needed to sort the dressing room out'. We sharp became a very Souness side and lost the swagger we had under Robson. Same happened with Keegan->Dalglish, Roeder-> Allardyce, You've similarly gone from one of the most exciting, young teams in the league, to a fairly functional squad with a couple of stars in there. Stars who will surely leave, if Mourinho stays?

One thing I wanted to ask, if Kane does go, would Son, Alli, et al stay? Or would his departure start a bit of an exodus? Surely selling Kane is a tacit admission that the Chairman doesn't share their ambitions?

I think Ashley is the root of it all, and every poisoned branch is because of his contradictory nature. He appointed Charnley (a jumped up admin clerk) because it was easy and the bloke is toady lickspittle, he gifted roles and jobs to mates that they're not up to because he wants mates around regardless of competence, he's fallen out with club legends, managers, players, media, fans, all because he doesn't know what he's doing, but will only rely on people who agree with him.

Had he just found a DoF of some quality, that man could have kept us ticking over, brought managers and players into the club that would achieve the minimum targets year in, year out. Instead we've been justifiably laughed at for years.

He doesn't care about the club beyond it being an advertising vehicle for his tat, however he won't relinquish control of decisions to another. Either don't give a shit and back off, or do give a shit and get involved.
Regarding our players:

Kane should leave but I don't think he will because he can't. There were just a very small handful of Clubs he could go genuinely go to pre-COVID (City, PSG, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern) that would pay him more and where he's ambitions could be genuinely met. I say "genuinely" because anyone seriously suggesting that Man U is a better option than Spurs is ridiculous, same too of LFC, Chelsea move would never happen. We are talking about a player worth £200m!! Post-COVID (assuming that normality is resumed, I don't think it will be) that group is even smaller, Real Madrid in financial problems and building a £1b stadium refit, Barca in ruins financially, Bayern don't really do these type of transfers if Lewandoski was declining sharply then I could see a very good like for like replacement.

What's key to keeping players like Son and Kane etc is if they believe that the manager is taking them on a journey to the elite (Champions League) and top of the PL, the direction of travel under Jose is away from this, so IMO what's key is to fire the dinosaur and introduce the team to a new progressive manager that shared philosophies with Poch. There is already talk of players missing the intense training regime under him, I guess it takes a dinosaur to come in and reminded them what they once were capable of.

The biggest concern remains if he remains, not just for the loss of those players who think the direction of the club is wrong, but what type/profile of player he brings in. No doubt a load of 6ft 5 28-30yr olds plodding about the pitch, doing their utmost to smother more youthful energetic footballing sides.

He will be the first manager sacked next season, if crowds are allowed back in, that much is a given.

Regarding our players:

Kane should leave but I don't think he will because he can't. There were just a very small handful of Clubs he could go genuinely go to pre-COVID (City, PSG, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern) that would pay him more and where he's ambitions could be genuinely met. I say "genuinely" because anyone seriously suggesting that Man U is a better option than Spurs is ridiculous, same too of LFC, Chelsea move would never happen. We are talking about a player worth £200m!! Post-COVID (assuming that normality is resumed, I don't think it will be) that group is even smaller, Real Madrid in financial problems and building a £1b stadium refit, Barca in ruins financially, Bayern don't really do these type of transfers if Lewandoski was declining sharply then I could see a very good like for like replacement.

What's key to keeping players like Son and Kane etc is if they believe that the manager is taking them on a journey to the elite (Champions League) and top of the PL, the direction of travel under Jose is away from this, so IMO what's key is to fire the dinosaur and introduce the team to a new progressive manager that shared philosophies with Poch. There is already talk of players missing the intense training regime under him, I guess it takes a dinosaur to come in and reminded them what they once were capable of.

The biggest concern remains if he remains, not just for the loss of those players who think the direction of the club is wrong, but what type/profile of player he brings in. No doubt a load of 6ft 5 28-30yr olds plodding about the pitch, doing their utmost to smother more youthful energetic footballing sides.

He will be the first manager sacked next season, if crowds are allowed back in, that much is a given.
How long does Kane have left on his contract?
Also, it might depend on where Haaland goes. Man City wouldn't go for both, surely?

I agree re: Man Utd and Chelsea, and don't think he's the sort of player Liverpool would be after. I think Man City would pay the money, and I think Kane is the kind of player Guardiola would want and get the most out of. But, like I said, I reckon Haaland would be their priority.

That said, Man Utd have a history of throwing money at players and they remain a huge draw. Kane may be convinced to join arguably the biggest club on the planet in the hope/expectation that he can return them to the title winning sides of his youth?

The alternative is staying at Spurs with no guarantee of silverware, the risk of no Champions League football and either struggles under Jose or upheaval under the new man. Can Harry Kane go without CL football for 2 seasons or more?

Honestly, I'd prefer him to stay at Spurs. It's the old romantic in me.

How long does Kane have left on his contract?
Also, it might depend on where Haaland goes. Man City wouldn't go for both, surely?

I agree re: Man Utd and Chelsea, and don't think he's the sort of player Liverpool would be after. I think Man City would pay the money, and I think Kane is the kind of player Guardiola would want and get the most out of. But, like I said, I reckon Haaland would be their priority.

That said, Man Utd have a history of throwing money at players and they remain a huge draw. Kane may be convinced to join arguably the biggest club on the planet in the hope/expectation that he can return them to the title winning sides of his youth?

The alternative is staying at Spurs with no guarantee of silverware, the risk of no Champions League football and either struggles under Jose or upheaval under the new man. Can Harry Kane go without CL football for 2 seasons or more?

Honestly, I'd prefer him to stay at Spurs. It's the old romantic in me.
Kane's got 3yrs, everything is on our side to keep him because of this. Even if he does a Bale and refuses to train and hands in a transfer request (I honestly don't see him doing this) he will only be sold for a huge fee, which only approx 3 clubs could possibly afford to pay with or without the COVID implications.

But if you were one of those Clubs with that amount of money you'd surely go with Haaland because he's so much younger. It goes without saying that only 1 of the 3 can land him, so forces the hand of the other two. Utd whilst being a huge Club is simply not the draw for Kane, not from a footballing sense, if Spurs had a Poch'esq manager at the helm we'd be above them again, I'm sure Kane will feel this too. The one thing they have going for them regarding Kane is his image, he's the England captain and that will be a hand-in-glove marketing/profile opportunity that will carry some gravitas for sure. I'm also certain he has his eye on the PL all-time goalscorers record, which would add weight back towards City, who let's face it are to dominate the game for easily the next decade.

With the right manager, Spurs will be there or thereabouts, certainly top 4, absolutely not getting anywhere near City, to be a bonafide top 4 team (consistently good performances, underpinned with a style of football that has the oppo looking at the next fixture for points rather than the current game) than he'll feel silverware is a genuine possibility.

I honestly don't see him leaving, his contract has handcuffed him to the club. Beyond that anyone guess.

Back
Top Bottom