Newcastle (H) 3rd April - 1630KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, only if one thinks that the interpretation of the person using the word is more important than the interpretation of the group of people actually discriminated against, who are saying it is offensive and that they don't want to hear it used.

(Spoiler: it isn't)

Sorry, but that's the leap that is being questioned.

So do you concur to the mentality that I'm racist for calling a black player lazy, just cos some people have that prejudice within their racist a.rsenal then?

I can't accuse a male of whoring without being accused of a homobic "hate" crime?

I've not ventured into the realms of who's most important.... I'm saying all angles should be considered before we stumble down the path of smearing the accused for life.

How neither he nor Joelinton got second yellows is beyond me. He was worse, he could have had three second yellows. Including chopping Moura in the build up to our fifth.

Burn was a deserving shit-cunt too, but nothing yesterday out-weighed the disgusting elbow-job Antonio pulled on Dier.

Sorry, but that's the leap that is being questioned.

So do you concur to the mentality that I'm racist for calling a black player lazy, just cos some people have that prejudice within their racist a.rsenal then?

I can't accuse a male of whoring without being part of a homobic "hate" crime?

I've not ventured into the realms of who's most important.... I'm saying all angles should be considered before we stumble down the path of smearing the accused for life.

No, because lazy isn't a slur.

You can. Call him a gigolo, or a man whore. Just don't use the term in question because it's long since been hijacked and makes people feel uncomfortable. Use it in your own home if you want, with people who know your intent, but in public you're not going to be able to explain to every person who hears it that you weren't being homophobic.

Who is smearing the accused for life? Like I said, if someone uses it in a ground I think they should be ejected and it should be explained to them why it is offensive. I'm not pro performative, over the top punishments.

I've heard enough from the LGBT community to understand the phrase makes them feel uneasy, and thus I am in favour of people not using it. I find it incredibly simple and easy to not use language which may seem inconsequential to me but means a lot more to others.

This shit with Tommo-N17 has seriously pissed me off. From what I've read he crossed the line, But by how far? I cannot believe anyone of LGBT+ persuasion would be overly insulted given the context ( A reflex to being assulted with a coin). I've never seen a post from him that is over the line.
The fear that the level of punishment outweighing the contravention is crazy.
I'm surprised that there is not a thread to allow a show of support (I am pre-decimalisation and lost in the world of IT and a task beyond me).
Not support of what he said, but look at the circumstances FFS.
18 years back I was managing a big warehouse in SE London. An employee got nicked at the Den for calling an opposition player a Black C, supported by 6 of the Mets finest. The employee swore he said Fat C. He has 65 letters from other members of staff of a non white background stating that they had never witnessed behavior of a racial nature. He then received 20+ letters from the ST holders around him. These were given to his brief who presented them to the Met, who dropped the case. He was banned from Millwall for 5 years. We never presented the letters of support to Millwall. But I think that it may have changed their decision if we had.
Let the punishment fit the crime. Ban him from the 2022-23 CL Final, Make him wear a gooner kit for a day; But a fucking hate crime? Seriously.

Can the forum not help somehow? There are hundreds in here, many ST holders.

No, because lazy isn't a slur.

It can be; depending on how it's deployed. Again, it's a circular argument.

You can. Call him a gigolo, or a man whore. Just don't use the term in question because it's long since been hijacked and makes people feel uncomfortable. Use it in your own home if you want, with people who know your intent, but in public you're not going to be able to explain to every person who hears it that you weren't being homophobic.

Who is smearing the accused for life? Like I said, if someone uses it in a ground I think they should be ejected and it should be explained to them why it is offensive. I'm not pro performative, over the top punishments.

I've heard enough from the LGBT community to understand the phrase makes them feel uneasy, and thus I am in favour of people not using it. I find it incredibly simple and easy to not use language which may seem inconsequential to me but means a lot more to others.

Not you obv.... But if someone is prosecuted for a so-called hate crime then yes, that's a smear on their character/record for life (potentially, at least) thanks to cancel culture and the institutional paranoia that it invokes.

Like you, I have little issue with removing a term from my vernacular for the right reasons, but I'm not fundamentally engaging in this discussion in order to reserve the right to say RB. For reasons already explained, I just think letting the offended exclusively dictate the issue is a dangerous slope.

Timestamped where he talks about how the use of the term makes him feel. It has no place in football grounds, this is something that everybody should be able to agree with.

Homophobia in football is pretty widespread, from accepting Saudi owners to the total lack of players who feel they can come out because of the culture. That culture has to change, it has to be more accepting and welcoming.

1/3 of the global population are Christian

Then there are other major religions around the globe that are fundamentally against same sex relationships/marriage

Are you suggesting that they alter or scrap their religious beliefs? Religion that are based on beliefs and values that have been around for thousands of years?

Would that in and of itself be considered 'antireligion' (for lack of a better word)?

1/3 of the global population are Christian

Then there are other major religions around the globe that are fundamentally against same sex relationships/marriage

Are you suggesting that they alter or scrap their religious beliefs? Religion that are based on beliefs and values that have been around for thousands of years?

Would that in and of itself be considered 'antireligion' (for lack of a better word)?

No. Just that they accept the fact that the U.K is a secular nation.

Also no, because they have religious freedom. What they're not free to do is abuse others who don't practise their beliefs, or try and force them to behave in a certain way. That restricts the freedom of others, and nobody has a right to do that.

Timestamped where he talks about how the use of the term makes him feel. It has no place in football grounds, this is something that everybody should be able to agree with.

Homophobia in football is pretty widespread, from accepting Saudi owners to the total lack of players who feel they can come out because of the culture. That culture has to change, it has to be more accepting and welcoming.

When fans around me were slagging off the topless overweight geordie fan with some choice words did I take it personally? No I didn’t likewise I don’t really see why gays get so upset when a player or person who almost definitely isn’t gets called a renter of his back back door - but as it does I decided to stop using the phrase a while back. Following that logic I suppose I should stop using the y word but I consider my definition of it as being something different I will hang on to it a bit longer

I don't know, our goals look fooking awesome, more or less all of them, but Newcastles defence was really suspected.

Especially I like the goals where there are these mammoth sprints from deep involved, players who just take 20-30-40 yard runs into the box. Just having the confidence and legs to do so, it makes up numbers and multiplies opportunities for even bad passes, stray clearences and bad controls turning into goals.

The value of signalling is grand though, in particular in combination with re-entry into the top 4.

I hope the players will let themselves ride that particular wave.
It is there for the taking. Us, Woolwich & Chelsea can easily drop lots of points & are very unpredictable. Big advantage Woolwich. I feel like tonight’s game is huge. They win & it will be hard to stop them. If they drop points then you would think they will feel the pressure of us coming for them!

Back
Top Bottom