Newcastle United at Home 10.11.13 @ 12:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which way do you want us to play?

He's our manager and has set up a certain system

I want us to stop using inverted wingers, when our wingers play better out wide...we dont have the right players for that system

I want to start to see some kind of preferred first 11, so they can actually start to gel

Id like to see Naughton LB, seeing as AVB saw him as competent second choice, I think its wrong he just drops the kid...people slate him, yet why is he too not able to gel in this "brand new team"?

Id like to see Jan go CB

Id like to see Holtby as a squad player only.

Id like to see Eriksen given the role behind Soldado and let him have a run of games

Id like to stop using Defoe and Soldado

Id like the nonsense excuses about Ade being injured to stop and just fucking pick him

Id like BAE brought back ASAP

Id like the highline to sit a little deeper so Dawson and Vlad are not running into Soldados space

Id like crosses

Id like through balls

Id like to see Lamela used more often as an option

Id like to see Sandro as first choice

Id like Dembele to get further forward and have more shots

Id like to see subs made when they have a chance to change the game as opposed to the 75th + minute

Id like us to counter attack without checking back

Id like to take a set piece that actually comes off

Id like us to pass sideways less often and try and use our 100M worth of new talent to unlock teams with a less obvious approach

Id like us be less predictable at home

Id like our 26M striker to have more than an average of one shot on target per game

Last edited:
im with you on that billly...when at left back he has shown a reluctance to beat the opposition on the outside and use his left foot (i realise his right footed)..TBH im not nsughton's biggest fan, his not quick enough or solid enough..

That's how I see it Oz. He looks like a rabbit in the headlights. Two seasons ago I never thought I'd say this but we badly need Danny Rose back.

That's how I see it Oz. He looks like a rabbit in the headlights. Two seasons ago I never thought I'd say this but we badly need Danny Rose back.
i also agree on this, danny rose is highly underated by most ppl on this forum who are calling for a new LB..not saying someone like coentrao is not better but im not convinced his fee and wage would be worth it for a left back..in my mind the biggest fuck up was letting BAE go when we had no other backup...

I want us to stop using inverted wingers, when our wingers play better out wide...we dont have the right players for that system

I want to start to see some kind of preferred first 11, so they can actually start to gel

Id like to see Naughton LB, seeing as AVB saw him as competent second choice, I think its wrong he just drops the kid...people slate him, yet why is he too not able to gel in this "brand new team"?

Id like to see Jan go CB

Id like to see Eriksen given the role behind Soldado and let him have a run of games

Id like the nonsense excuses about Ade being injured to stop and just fucking pick him

Id like the highline to sit a little deeper so Dawson and Vlad are not running into Soldados space

Id like crosses

Id like through balls

Id like to see subs made when they have a chance to change the game as opposed to the 75th + minute

Id like us to pass sideways less often and try and use our 100M worth of new talent to unlock teams with a less obvious approach

Id like our 26M striker to have more than an average of one shot on target per game

Fuck me Samuel, you don't want much!!

i-want-the-moon-on-a-stick.png

There are some valid points in there which I've addressed in bold but ultimately any rival fan can produce a similar list for either Woolwich, Chelsea, City, Utd (lol), etc. Evey fan holds unique expectation for the team.

Fundamentally the underlying system is what defines our general play - look at Rodgers and Liverpool - looks to be paying off this season. I strongly beleive AVB's efforts will bear fruit eventually - once the new faces gel, etc.

See below

Very few top teams in the PL have preferred first 11 - only 3-4 players (bar the ?GK) are guaranteed to start every game, imv - the rest rotate. That was one of Arry's fundamental short-comings while we boast considerable squad depth more than ever

Vertonghen is an exponentionally better LB than right-footed Naughton whose positionining is largely poor

Id like to see Jan go CB

See above

Based on what?

Agreed

When did we start both?

Agreed

No - we need much better than that - Coentrao hopefully. BAE is done and can't even hold is own in the Championship

When did the CBs run into his space?

Id like crosses

I'd like better crosses

Id like through balls

We need movement for those too

Agreed - he should be starting PL games by now (2-3 games overdue, imv)

Agreed - but Capoue also deserves to earn a sport just as muchA

Agreed

?

Verts came very close on Sunday but the rest need practice, granted

This goes back to my possession point earlier - tiring opponents and forcing them to makes mistakes - I have no issues with that as long as we have end product (which currently lacks)

How are we predictable - teams come and park the bus, wasting time at 0:0 half-way through the first half - I've seen all teams bar the Top 6 do that in the last 1.5 season - says something about us!

Id like our 26M striker to have more than an average of one shot on target per game[/quote]

Is that a statistical fact?

Last edited:
So - to summarise, Sammy - what exactly are you complaining about at a fundamental level, is that really all you can take from this season so far? I find that disappointing to be quite honest - since you're neither a shadow goon troll, or a common WUM

All you ever seem to do lately (for some bizarre reason) is pedal negativism, criticism and abuse towards manager and players - game after game. What do you aim to achieve - even if tomorrow Levy sacked him - we are back were we've been for 15 years - revolving door of no continuity and the laughing stock of gooners and co.

• Currently, we are 3 points better off than this time last season
  • We are also 1 point ahead of City and 1 point behind Chelsea - 2 of the teams which would most likely win the league this season - anyone with half a brain would tell you that.
  • We've lost 3 games out of 19 this whole season
  • We look solid at the back more than ever and have some of the most promising young talent in our team - 21-year old Lamela and Erisken, along with 2 Brazil starters! and one of Spain's top marksman, along with a world class GK and quality members of the Belgian squad. This is one of the most exciting Spurs teams in my lifetime.
So for those calling to his head 10 games into the season is completely OTT

• Currently, we are 3 points better off than this time last season - but 5 Points worse off than the previous season
  • This is one of the most exciting Spurs teams in my lifetime. On paper maybe, certainly not on grass

You should be embarrassed, mate - this shit makes us look like fickle goons who call for Whinger's name half-way through November when they're 2 points off 4th place

I just hope that when he does go i dont find myself 18 months later constantly needing to have a pop at him, now that would be embarrassing. :avbshit:

Last edited:
I just hope that when he does go i dont find myself 18 months later constantly needing to have a pop at him, now that would be embarrassing. :avbshit:
When you have nothing of value to say - its what you do, particularly when you were just plain wrong and have nothing to justify your stupidity - other than by constantly repeating yourself, in the desperate hope that people will start to believe that its true.

@ ArcspacE ArcspacE

Very few top teams in the PL have preferred first 11 - only 3-4 players (bar the ?GK) are guaranteed to start every game, imv - the rest rotate. That was one of Arry's fundamental short-comings while we boast considerable squad depth more than ever

Simply not true about us not rotating under Harry (dont know how many times Im going to have to keep dragging this up every time someone says this..?)
http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/rotation.2536/#post-86057

Vertonghen is an exponentionally better LB than right-footed Naughton whose positionining is largely poor

IMO, we gain alot from playing Jan as CB....not least keeping arguably our top three best players in his best and preferred position. Naughton is young and learning.....as said, why is he not allowed to gel like everyone else.
People keep saying "this is a practically brand new team".....but Naughton should be top notch from the start? Its "ony 11 games" when people slate AVB.......people slated Naughton after 1. Poor man management, and like Siggy, Lamela and Eriksen, can ony affect the players confidence.

Based on what?

Based on the fact that we have been crying out for someone to replace VDV or Modric and he is not it. I dont see why we should drop Eriksen, and then play Holtby on the halfway line. I think Dembele and Siggy are far better players than Holtby too. Should not be starting with the players we have...

and also, because...

At who's expense who you play Eriksen at? (Based on the fact you appear to see Holtby as first choice)

When did we start both?

I said "use", not start. We reverted to it several times now, and our game goes from bad to worse

No - we need much better than that - Coentrao hopefully. BAE is done and can't even hold is own in the Championship

Throw more money at this team you mean? The short sightedness in the decision to loan BAE has come and slapped us.

When did the CBs run into his space?

Everyone runs into his space. Dawson is also surging forward, not as far as Vlad, but if you havent seen Vlad making runs into the oppo box, I dont know where you've been...

We need movement for those too

Where is Soldado supposed to run? Our whole team is on the edge of their 18yrd box

We have no fluidity going forward. Its never 3/4 passes from our box and a shot. We stop, pass it sideways or back, and try and rebuild our shape, while the oppo also re shape.

This goes back to my possession point earlier - tiring opponents and forcing them to makes mistakes - I have no issues with that as long as we have end product (which currently lacks)
Personally I think we have too much talent for that shit......do we really need to tire out Hull? They are less skilled, but equally fit athletes. I have not seen one team tired by us at the end of the game.....we are too slow to tire anyone out.
Sounds like a minnows approach....Audere-est-Facere......we sound more like an old lion going after a sick gazelle

How are we predictable - teams come and park the bus, wasting time at 0:0 half-way through the first half - I've seen all teams bar the Top 6 do that in the last 1.5 season - says something about us!

We are predictably boring. We know teams will park the bus....thats why we have players Lennon, Townsend, Lamela, Eriksen, Siggy, Holtby, Paulinho, Sandro etc....did we really spend 110M to whinge about lower level managers taking points off us at home?

Is that a statistical fact?

I know after 6 games he had had 6 shots on target, and I havent seen him shoot since then....so, I guess its pretty close, considering he only had one against Newcastle too.

Back
Top Bottom