Newcastle United at Home 10.11.13 @ 12:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The amount of saves Krul manages to pull off is just beyond belief. And How that Yanga-Mbiwa cunt nobodys ever heard of managed to hook away a ball facing his own goal with the outside of his foot is just so agonizingly cuntish that it makes me want to top myself.

Those cunts will go out and lose 3-1 at home to fucking Villa or something now

Sandro would have smashed their midfielder into next week, unlike Paulinho who didn't want to scuff his boots...letting him win the ball with ease and play it through to Remy.

The amount of saves Krul manages to pull off is just beyond belief. And How that Yanga-Mbiwa cunt nobodys ever heard of managed to hook away a ball facing his own goal with the outside of his foot is just so agonizingly cuntish that it makes me want to top myself.

Those cunts will go out and lose 3-1 at home to fucking Villa or something now
They will finish 12th-15th and Krul will concede 3 a game from now on

I don't think the Chiriches injury helped, as I imagine Lamela would have been lined up to come on at some point (still should've started though IMO, kids confidence must have taken a knock after such a good showing on Thursday)

Quite a few chances in the second half - more than I can remember in any recent game. Soldado wasn't at his sharpest movement-wise and Townsend was horribly wasteful.

A lot of Eriksens set pieces were poor which surprised me, and I can hardly remember Siggy touching the ball.

AVB has got some serious thinking to do during the break - he can't afford to be so stubborn when things obviously aren't clicking going forward; why not give Ade a shot with Soldado, try Holtby and sandro together behind Eriksen, give Lamela a start and put Townsend on the left (at least he'd be less likely to try and shoot...)

A wasted opportunity yesterday. If, and it might well happen, we lose to Man City and Man U, we could drop to 10th/12th etc. If you want to be considered for the top 3, you cannot lose at home to Wet Spam and the geordies.

A wasted opportunity yesterday. If, and it might well happen, we lose to Man City and Man U, we could drop to 10th/12th etc. If you want to be considered for the top 3, you cannot lose at home to Wet Spam and the geordies.

I agree in part, but given how this season is going, it is not unthinkable for any of the top 6/10 teams to be losing to the lower division teams. It has happened to every single "top 4" team so I don't consider losing to West Ham and Newcastle as the end of our season. Its a blip. A fucking big painful blip, but a blip all the same.

Negatives: Brad Friedel, Dembele, Gylfi, Paulinho (1st half) all seemed inaffective and off the pace
Andros Townsend is getting marked out of games, in all fairness to him he is constant though and Newcastle did well to limit him as much as they did.
AVB: this system will work, fully believe that, all truly great teams play with a set system, it's just sometimes there must be room for certain individuals, us with Bale, United with Rooney, Citeh with Yaya Toure. None of them really play a conventional role for their systems and I think we need to mould our team around Eriksen/Lamela. It just isn't flowing at the moment, we've no conduit, Dembele for all his attributes adds little in the final third, Paulinho needs to start being more lethal and we are desperately missing width on our left side, Rose is a massive miss.

Negatives: Brad Friedel, Dembele, Gylfi, Paulinho (1st half) all seemed inaffective and off the pace
Andros Townsend is getting marked out of games, in all fairness to him he is constant though and Newcastle did well to limit him as much as they did.
AVB: this system will work, fully believe that, all truly great teams play with a set system, it's just sometimes there must be room for certain individuals, us with Bale, United with Rooney, Citeh with Yaya Toure. None of them really play a conventional role for their systems and I think we need to mould our team around Eriksen/Lamela. It just isn't flowing at the moment, we've no conduit, Dembele for all his attributes adds little in the final third, Paulinho needs to start being more lethal and we are desperately missing width on our left side, Rose is a massive miss.

This sums up my feelings about everything rather nicely.

The positive from yesterday . With that halftime sub of Sandro, that Dembele/Paulinho pairiing --> R.I.P.
I think the MF roles are pretty defined now with
CDM: Sandro/Capoue
CM: Paulinho/Dembele
CAM: Eriksen / Holtby

These defined roles and stability with the line up will definitely help the cause. And you could see AVB needed some time to experiment on the optimal pairings.

Just did that too.
Thinking with a much clearer and cooler head ... I think we may indeed have been a tad unlucky.
And it also made me feel better too; thanks bud.
Oh well, upwards and onwards!

Btw, just in case it might cheer someone up also, here's the motd highlights:

Thanks for the link. Watch the highlights you see us attacking for most of it in succession and you come away thinking that perhaps we were a bit unlucky not to score - you might even conclude that we were the better team. But what you don't see so much of is that we lost the game in the first half. When we conceeded early on in the 13th minute because of mistakes, from that point on Newcastle don't need to attack, they already have something to hold on to and so you get performances like Krul's - and to be fair their whole team worked hard to keep hold of what they already had. Even if they had conceeded one goal they may still have left the Lane with a point, and they know as well as we do that we don't score many goals - the chances of us scoring two and winning the game wasn't that likely, so that's all they have to do - protect their lead.
We also didn't react quickly enough after the goal and it was only really in the second half that we looked like we might score. For the rest of the first half I was wondering where our urgency was - we started to see some in the second half to be fair, but we had already made it difficult for ourselves giving us 45 minutes to try and break a team down and score once to get a point, or twice to get three points. I don't have a problem with winning games 1-0 which often seems to be AVB's target. But he needs a better, more aggresive, dare i say it, riskier plan for if we go a goal down. The obvious choice was Lamela but instead we got Defoe. This decision more than any other confused me as he was the totally wrong type of player for what we were facing - predictably, he created nothing.

Im not writing him off in the slightest, just saying you need to earn your place, you cant get in just because people rate you.

Like Lamela did on Thursday night ... :avbfacepalm::lamelawtf:

Townsend can either play on the left next match or be dropped to the bench. AVB's insistence that he plays on the right, and only the right is, I think, the most significant handicap to our team. Sigurdsson was on the left on the team sheet but seldom there on the pitch and I can't justify it.

11 games is enough time to realise that all is not quite right with his formation, or at the very least, read this forum to see that inverted wingers aren't the be all and end all.

Oh. and Sandro, unless dying, plays every single minute of every match we ever play again.

Strongly agree.

I think Lamela would have come on if AVB wasnt forced into bringing Kaboul on at half time and using a sub up.

I agree but don't you think it should have been Siggy for Lamela instead of Defoe? That was crazy, it hasn't worked yet and he still tries it everytime we run out of ideas..... EXCEPT at Cardiff when Lamela was subbed on at 71 mins and we won the game. Was Defoe injured for this game? He didn't even make the subs according to http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24098608

By far and away the biggest mistake was not starting Sandro (or even Capoue). They beat Chelsea 2-0 last week, full of confidence with strong physical players. The fuck was he thinking?

Sandro would have smashed their midfielder into next week, unlike Paulinho who didn't want to scuff his boots...letting him win the ball with ease and play it through to Remy.

I do agree that was a pitiful effort by Paulinho and it was so matter of fact . Considering where he was on the pitch, I'm sure he was like "No worries, Sandro is sitting right behind me". Then it sunk in that Sandro was sitting behind AVB and Dembele was god knows where.

............. The obvious choice was Lamela but instead we got Defoe. This decision more than any other confused me as he was the totally wrong type of player for what we were facing - predictably, he created nothing.
by then we were creating a lot of chances so the choice of a proven converter of chances isn't such a leap of faith, in reality - just an unimaginitive one.

Back
Top Bottom