Newcastle United at Home 10.11.13 @ 12:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

by then we were creating a lot of chances so the choice of a proven converter of chances isn't such a leap of faith, in reality - just an unimaginitive one.

I concur.

The idea is alright. Only has it been tried before, same situation, same player, same result.

The simple eye test said it all. Up to the time of the sub we battered them, had them parked in their own box. After that they pushed us back 15 yards almost instantly, and although chances were still created, we didn't have them stressed anymore.

Unreal decision not to play Sandro.

He absolutely destroyed them in the second half, Remy was nowhere to be seen.

That's easy to say in hindsight - I love Sandro, but it's same as everyone saying Defoe was the wrong call - if lamela had come one and we'd lost, people would have criticised AVB for not brining on a proven goal-scorer given all the chances we were creating. If Sandro had been on from the start and we'd lost, or not scored, people would be saying our midfield was too negative.

Sorry to go on a bit of a rant, but I feel like, since the internet, watching football is like being a quality control agent, or some micromanaging report writing boss than a fan.

Maybe Sandro had an injury or wasn't feeling up to starting? Also, if you think about it, we weren't putting away the chances in the second half. Putting on the guy who has been our best finisher for donkey's years made sense. It didn't work though.

I doubt AVB is telling the players, "don't pass to Soldado", "waste the set-pieces", "move the ball slower". He wasn't happy with the players he selected, he gave them bit of hair-dryer treatment at half-time.

To be fair we were the better side second-half even though we still lacked that killer instinct. Eriksen let him down massively imo.

I doubt AVB is telling the players, "don't pass to Soldado", "waste the set-pieces", "move the ball slower". He wasn't happy with the players he selected, he gave them bit of hair-dryer treatment at half-time.

To be fair we were the better side second-half even though we still lacked that killer instinct. Eriksen let him down massively imo.

Then the players are clearly not good enough. That or we are not being set up to their strengths...I think the latter personally.

Eriksen and Siggy have been poor....maybe due to the fact they were dropped for no apparent reason when playing well? Just like we will probably see with Lamela.

The fact is, that we are playing the way AVB wants us to...the Hull game was the fans fault, Newcastle we apparently deserved to win...

Its never about us being shit

Plus the killer stat of the game Gylfi and Townsend didnt pass to Soldado once.... terrible, that is not what is needed from inverted wingers, I think at least one of them has played themselves out the side this week, was just a bad selection, I really wonder what AVB will do going to City, at least we know Sandro will play!

Then the players are clearly not good enough. That or we are not being set up to their strengths...I think the latter personally.

Eriksen and Siggy have been poor....maybe due to the fact they were dropped for no apparent reason when playing well? Just like we will probably see with Lamela.

The fact is, that we are playing the way AVB wants us to...the Hull game was the fans fault, Newcastle we apparently deserved to win...

Out of interest... do you extend the same criticisms to Mourinho or Pellegrini?

Villas-Boas told reporters: “It was difficult to take. We have to look at ourselves and recognise that our first half was very, very poor. That was the negative, the positive was that we reacted so strongly and I think that the result was unfair, particularly after the second half.

ps. Sammy, i'm still waiting for the quotes where AVB blames the fans for our poor performances. Funny how you put me on ignore right after i asked you to provide them.

Last edited:
Out of interest... do you extend the same criticisms to Mourinho or Pellegrini?

I dont follow them as closely as I do our manager's, but of course they make mistakes.

Jose has proven himself at the top several times over. Pelligrini I dont much about, certainly not his shortcomings.

But if they pick a side or set up which totally excludes the services of their first choice, record signing striker, ( with a distinct lack of goals coming from anywhere else) then I would of course find that odd.

Plus the killer stat of the game Gylfi and Townsend didnt pass to Soldado once.... terrible, that is not what is needed from inverted wingers, I think at least one of them has played themselves out the side this week, was just a bad selection, I really wonder what AVB will do going to City, at least we know Sandro will play!

that is pretty shocking stuff

Villas-Boas told reporters: “It was difficult to take. We have to look at ourselves and recognise that our first half was very, very poor. That was the negative, the positive was that we reacted so strongly and I think that the result was unfair, particularly after the second half.

ps. Sammy, i'm still waiting for the quotes where AVB blames the fans for our poor performances. Funny how you put me on ignore right after i asked you to provide them you deluding melt.

you're wasting your time mate, sammy is the type who makes the argument up as he goes along, then puts you on ignore when you tell him he's an idiot

bottomline he's still mad H got canned

that is pretty shocking stuff

you're wasting your time mate, sammy is the type who makes the argument up as he goes along, then puts you on ignore when you tell him he's an idiot

bottomline he's still mad H got canned

Does anyone else think Harry at QPR right now is like any of us playing football manager with all the cheat modes on? He seems to have unlimited budget - fair play to him, but if he doesnt get promoted with that side and a backroom staff bigger than the cast of Ben Hur will be interesting

@ truetomyself truetomyself @ sammyspurs sammyspurs

Well Sammy, you put truetomyself on ignore. How about you respond to this?

ps. Sammy, i'm still waiting for the quotes where AVB blames the fans for our poor performances. Funny how you put me on ignore right after i asked you to provide them. - truetomyself

@ truetomyself truetomyself @ sammyspurs sammyspurs

Well Sammy, you put truetomyself on ignore. How about you respond to this?

ps. Sammy, i'm still waiting for the quotes where AVB blames the fans for our poor performances. Funny how you put me on ignore right after i asked you to provide them. - truetomyself

Sanchez if I put somone on ignore its for a reason. I dont need you to act as a go between..Im not obliged to answer a single thing anyone says, especially those on ignore. I dont have a burden of proof on me that I owe anyone....funny how someone wants to debate when they are on ignore....too late for that.

When I answer everyone I get accused of "repeating myself" and "banging the same drum" and trying to "force people to see Im right"......when I dont answer someone its because "I have no evidence".....

As for the quote, he recognises the first half, yet still thinks the result was "unfair"

How exactly? Does our manager believe possesion, shots and corner stats outweigh one single goal?

The result was not unfair. We were not cheated.

We were ineffective, again, and failed to get the best out of Soldado again (who was poor anyway other than a great header)......so we ended up with Paulinho, Kaboul and Townsend having the rest of our best chances.

Im not going over Hull again. Interpret his comments however you want, and I'll interpret them how I want.

Last edited:
I do agree that was a pitiful effort by Paulinho and it was so matter of fact . Considering where he was on the pitch, I'm sure he was like "No worries, Sandro is sitting right behind me". Then it sunk in that Sandro was sitting behind AVB and Dembele was god knows where.
tbh paulinho's effort was weak but the pass was fucking horrible..sandro would have done better but paulinho has been one of our best players this year bit harsh to blame him for this one...i think it was dembele's pass?

Back
Top Bottom