Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 176 42.0%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.3%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Speaking on Sky Italia, Fiorentina boss Vincenzo Italiano has emerged as a new proposal for both Spurs and Napoli. Di Marzio noted (as relayed by Fiorentina.it): "It's inevitable that he will end up in the crosshairs of big clubs like Napoli. If De Laurentiis were to bet on Italiano, I would find it normal. I know he is also popular abroad. He is on Tottenham’s list. Many say that Italiano has a €10m clause, but there is no release clause to release him from Fiorentina."

Is Vincenzo Italiano a good manager?

With many fans having come to terms with the prospective appointment of Slot, even convincing themselves it was an ideal move, it understandably stings to see that option then fritter away. After all, his 2.15 points-per-game average is admirable, even if the Dutch league is considered the sixth-best in Europe based on UEFA's coefficient rankings - two behind Serie A.

They had finished 13th the year before his arrival, and his all-action 4-3-3 philosophy has helped to push the Viola back into European contention, where they have capitalised this season by reaching the Europa Conference League final, setting up a clash with West Ham United. They recently lost to Inter Milan in the Coppa Italia final too, with two such games in one season something Levy can only dream of.

Journalist Josh Bunting sought to praise such success, writing on Twitter: "Vincenzo Italiano has done an outstanding job there, a domestic cup final and a European semi-final. Plays a really nice brand of attractive football."

However, it was Salernitana's head coach Paulo Sousa who arguably reserved the greatest praise, breaking down the philosophy that has reignited a stagnant club. He said: "In my view, at the moment they are the fittest team in the league with top-level alternatives for every role.

"Their football expresses great aggression in the non-possession phase, with a wealth of variations in the ball possession phase that reminds me of the Dutch football of the past." This fine blend of attractive yet hard-working football is exactly what has been missing in recent years in north London.

A beautiful brand akin to the Dutch style should be enough to allow fans to forget their Slot disappointment if Italiano is the alternative. The Feyenoord coach also took his team to a European final, and his work in winning the Eredivisie this term does merit praise. However, it must conversely be noted that when he took over, the club sat only in third.

Therefore, in taking a club in disarray and making them punch above their weight in a far more challenging division, the Italian boss arguably is a better fit for what Levy wants in his new manager.
vincenzo italiano would be the choice an illuminati DoF would do.
there is no other way.

above an italian coach there is only the sky, and above the sky there is Italiano

I’m pretty sure that was Levy’s wife.

If they were half arsed about it they could have had Nagelsmann by just agreeing to his choice of DOF (if true).

Poch has been begging Levy for a sympathy shag for months and getting nowhere.

Slot himself has now said there was no concrete offer to him or Feynoord.

There are lots of ways they could have made a balls up of this more quickly.

Let’s see. I reckon they won’t announce a head coach before they’ve got a DOF lined up and made sure they are compatible - at least in theory.

Either way, the DOF is the more important remit for me, so I really hope they get that right this time.
Again, BC, I disagree. A Head Coach who plays front foot, progressive football and is willing to develop young players by actually playing & coaching them, is far more important to me than hiring some obscure no name DoF.

The DoF structure is fine on a management consultant whiteboard. Our club's various fliratations with DoFs have produced chaos, not continuity, and the signing of young players like Gil & Sarr who the Head Coach stubbornly refused to play.

They've also created a mismatch between Levy's declaration of "Spurs DNA" and uber-cautious Head Coaches like Mourinho, Nuno & Conte.

We need to determine how we want to play, hire a Head Coach who is passionate about playing that way, and hire a DoF who can recruit players that fit the vision.

Unfortunately, even those simple steps seem beyond Levy & ENIC.

I can't get it out of my head that Ange/Potter/Brodgers seem like the new Nuno in a nightmare rerun of 2021.

I think all 3 might be fine but equally might fail.

There are numerous issues to contend with, one being the reception or expectation of the fans.

Many would seemingly welcome Nagelsman, but not the 3 above, so the German might get a period of grace, whereas the other 3 would be under the gaze straight-off, with all manner of negativity.

The club need to commit to their choice, back them adequately, and recognise fans are fickle.

Success breeds contentment more than anything else.

Just wait on Arteta next season if they struggle and see how long the 'new Wenger' is given before the tide turns.

Very few managers stand the ravages of a few poor results but we have a few who sit in the minus zone before they have been approached and that's a tad unfair and only hurts us.

I think all 3 might be fine but equally might fail.

There are numerous issues to contend with, one being the reception or expectation of the fans.

Many would seemingly welcome Nagelsman, but not the 3 above, so the German might get a period of grace, whereas the other 3 would be under the gaze straight-off, with all manner of negativity.

The club need to commit to their choice, back them adequately, and recognise fans are fickle.

Success breeds contentment more than anything else.

Just wait on Arteta next season if they struggle and see how long the 'new Wenger' is given before the tide turns.

Very few managers stand the ravages of a few poor results but we have a few who sit in the minus zone before they have been approached and that's a tad unfair and only hurts us.

The time it takes to get things done has also given the media time to sell all kinds of crazy narratives and expectations.

That shit eats away at patience and even worse, interest.

This club should be a case study for a sociology professor somewhere. It always seems that if there are ways to make humans interested and engaged in following something, they do the opposite, every time. Maybe that's why the fans keep coming? lol who fucking knows.

I can't get it out of my head that Ange/Potter/Brodgers seem like the new Nuno in a nightmare rerun of 2021.

I think all 3 m8gut be fine but equally might fail.

Success breeds contentmeny more than anything.

Very few managers stand the ravages of a few poor results but we have a few who sit in the minus zone already and that's a tad unfair and only hurts us.

The new Nuno/Fonseca/Gatusso

Wouldn't go that far at all.

Issue at the time was they were following Mourinho. A boring manager.

We needed an exciting manager or someone who atleast played good football. That's where Rodgers then rejected us back in 2021. We decided against ten Hag. We then took the piss out of Fonseca (who is playing great football this year). And ended up with an equally boring manager in Nuno.

To their credit, Potter, Ange and even Rodgers play better football than we saw under Conte for the majority of his tenure. And have much better experience than Mason. So already they're an improvement. Not the biggest names of course, but we've seen what happens when we hire big names under Levy.

Wouldn't go that far at all.

Issue at the time was they were following Mourinho. A boring manager.

We needed an exciting manager or someone who atleast played good football. That's where Rodgers then rejected us back in 2021. We decided against ten Hag. We then took the piss out of Fonseca (who is playing great football this year). And ended up with an equally boring manager in Nuno.

To their credit, Potter, Ange and even Rodgers play better football than we saw under Conte for the majority of his tenure. And have much better experience than Mason. So already they're an improvement. Not the biggest names of course, but we've seen what happens when we hire big names under Levy.

Better football than we saw this season aside from the Man City games.

When Conte first arrived the automation had us playing like a machine. It was amazing to watch and everyone knew what was going on.

This year they were tired and bored.

Better football than we saw this season aside from the Man City games.

When Conte first arrived the automation had us playing like a machine. It was amazing to watch and everyone knew what was going on.

This year they were tired and bored.

It was good football for a spell of about 2 months last season but it wasn't swash buckling like we saw under Redknapp or Pochettino.

I'd even put Nunos opening game against City as one of our best performances since the start of last season. Which says something.

Pretty much, tho I can't claim to know much about him or Dutch football.

Basically I'm on board with there being a clear plan, which is conspicuous by its absence, I'm on board with anyone who wants to be the Tottenham manager.

Apart from Brendan Rogers of course.

:sonpoint:

I like the cut of your jib, Bill.

I can't get it out of my head that Ange/Potter/Brodgers seem like the new Nuno in a nightmare rerun of 2021 as this time will be much worse than 2021 without a Conte to come and get 13 wins.
In no way would this scenario be a rerun. 2021 would feel like the appetiser to the 2023/24 main course as there is no Conte to come and pull 13 wins out of the fire.

Everton have been battling relegation for 2 seasons and prior to that overspent on different managerial player acquisitions. We have gone the same way.

Since Conte departed we are 15th in the table on form. As the boardroom incompetence dictates we are on course for a very difficult, likely bottom half season.

It was good football for a spell of about 2 months last season but it wasn't swash buckling like we saw under Redknapp or Pochettino.

I'd even put Nunos opening game against City as one of our best performances since the start of last season. Which says something.

Swashbuckling doesn't have to be better for me.

I get the clamour for attacking football but attacking doesn't always = good.

Conte ball was producing the most goals scored in a calendar year and a great defensive record for a good while.

In no way would this scenario be a rerun. 2021 would feel like the appetiser to the 2023/24 main course as there is no Conte to come and pull 13 wins out of the fire.

Everton have been battling relegation for 2 seasons and prior to that overspent on different managerial player acquisitions. We have gone the same way.

Since Conte departed we are 15th in the table on form. As the boardroom incompetience dictates we are on course for a very difficult, likely bottom half season.
I'm not sure about this at all.

I think Spurs are brilliant up top, decent in midfield but could do with 1-2 creative players to replace the likes of Lo Celso and N'dombele. Could N'dombele be used from the bench after 60 minutes in a 3-4 man midfield containing Bissouma and Sarr; under the right coach?

It's the goalkeepers and defenders that are rotten at Spurs and have been for some time.

Spurs need a first choice, quality goalkeeper and a pair of 'win now' centre backs on a par with Toby and Jan.

3 quality players and Kane staying turns it around under a decent, attacking coach.

Back
Top Bottom