Non-Spurs players you respect the most

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If any, which non-Spurs players, past or present do you hold a particular respect for?

One that always comes to mind to me is Francesco Totti, a genuine one-club man who could have walked into pretty much any team in Europe, but chose to stay with AS Roma his entire career, regardless of how they were doing.

Football needs more players like that IMO, who won't drop everything to run to the biggest contract or the biggest club.

Ronaldhino.

A genius level talent who never compromised his natural ball-skills for anyone. Played with a smile on his face and always looked like he had fun on the pitch while delivering an end product for his team.
2003-2007 he was the best player in the world to watch bar none IMO.

I know he was a bit sour after yesterday's game but can't help but admire De Bruyne.

From the past there are many but I used to really like Paul Ince as a kid. I played centre midfield and tried to be a box to box player like he was plus him and Gazza were a really good partnership for England.

Roy Keane okay a bit of a loose cannon but at least if he’s doing analysis he says how it is and non of this flannel and making up excuses.

Alan Shearer for this quote, when asked (after retiring) why he turned down the potential chance of more trophies by saying no to SAF and Man Utd -
“When I was a young boy I wanted to play for Newcastle United, I wanted to wear the No.9 shirt and I wanted to score goals at St James’ Park. I’ve lived my dream and I realise how lucky I’ve been to have done that.”

I always respected Paolo Maldini. He was probably the best left-back in the world by the time he was 21 and then he maintained that level for nearly 2 decades.

Plus he had all the film-star looks, glamour, modelling deals etc but you never heard anything about them distracting him from his game. A fantastic professional.

If any, which non-Spurs players, past or present do you hold a particular respect for?

One that always comes to mind to me is Francesco Totti, a genuine one-club man who could have walked into pretty much any team in Europe, but chose to stay with AS Roma his entire career, regardless of how they were doing.

Football needs more players like that IMO, who won't drop everything to run to the biggest contract or the biggest club.
Started watching a documentary on him today, really interesting

Ronaldhino.

A genius level talent who never compromised his natural ball-skills for anyone. Played with a smile on his face and always looked like he had fun on the pitch while delivering an end product for his team.

Definitely.

I was lucky enough to see him live for what must have been one of his final appearances for Brazil, absolutely brilliant player and so full of tricks.

Ronaldhino.

Best player to watch ever IMO.

Prem

Scholes - Best passer I have ever seen.

Gerrard - incredible player often driving Liverpool to success almost through force of will power.

Cantona - lunatic but brilliant

Japp Stam - what a defender

Non-Prem

Ronaldinho - as per prior post in my view the best player to watch in the history of football, put a smile on your face.

Messi - pure talent and some how consistent with it. Maybe the best player of all time, him or Maradona

Bastian schweinsteiger - his body was destroyed by the time he came to United but in his prime he had the ferocity of Keane but with much better technical skills. For me the best Defensive Midfielder I have ever seen above Keane, Viera and Makelele and he wasn’t even a defensive midfielder till later in his career, incredible all round player. Drove his body into the ground though.

Riquelme - the most underrated genius of all times. Broke my heart when he missed that PK against woolwich.

Ronaldo de Lima - every kid born in the 90s idolise him, was considered the greatest CF of all times during his peak

Okocha - the most skillful player to ever grace the PL

Back
Top Bottom