Norwich (A) - Final game of the season - 22/05 - 4pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It would be the most Spursy thing ever for us to find a way to lose. Hopefully a lot of the Norwich players are already on the beach. Score first and early and it will be a comfortable and joyous afternoon.

Last edited:
Surely there's got to be issues with the broadcasters, as well? Can't imagine they'd be happy with clubs opening their grounds for away matches and disincentivizing people to pay for the subscription packages.

Games are shown in pubs al over the world; what's the diff?

The pubs don't get a giant cheque from the broadcasters.

In general, pubs pay much higher licensing fees (as far as I am aware) to account for their showing the content to many more people (and the revenue they generate off it)

Showing the matches in stadium is basically biting the hand that feeds.

In general, pubs pay much higher licensing fees (as far as I am aware) to account for their showing the content to many more people (and the revenue they generate off it)

Playing devil's advocate here, but for the sake of discussion:

How many of the fans who would turn up to an empty stadium to watch on a big screen, don't already pay for whatever subscription is needed to also view at home?

(I don't expect anyone to actually have this number, just a question posed for consideration).

I'm sure similarly a mutually beneficial arrangement could be found.

Not to a great extent; not when you consider TV and advertising revenue on a global basis.

Playing devil's advocate here, but for the sake of discussion:

How many of the fans who would turn up to an empty stadium to watch on a big screen, don't already pay for whatever subscription is needed to also view at home?

(I don't expect anyone to actually have this number, just a question posed for consideration).
If clubs were free to screen away games as they wish, and thus incentives to do so to rake in concessions revenue? Basically all of them. Which is why I would imagine they're contractually prohibited from doing so unless they receive express permission for special occasions.

Not to a great extent; not when you consider TV and advertising revenue on a global basis.
Broadcasters have to have the advertising revenue to recoup the billions they spend purchasing the rights to show games. Clubs open for business on away games will hurt their subscription numbers which impacts their ability to negotiate advertising fees.

It's all a philosophical debate about nothing. Spurs don't screen away matches, which means they aren't allowed to. Otherwise there's no way Levy isn't opening up the drinks and food counters in the stadium. He ain't passing up a buck.

Broadcasters have to have the advertising revenue to recoup the billions they spend purchasing the rights to show games. Clubs open for business on away games will hurt their subscription numbers which impacts their ability to negotiate advertising fees.

I understand the current model.

I still don't think the number of bodies in question would be that detrimental in the grand scheme of things..... We're talking a fraction of the match-day crowd; a large portion of which may very well watch the games in the pub anyway (if they're even being shown here!).

The broadcast in the stadium could still show the same adverts & sky branding so that aspect of the viewing figures needn't be lost anyway.

Different discussion; but if they made the subs cheaper(*) here more people would pay for the general coverage even if they were also match-day fans that also went to the pub for their club's big games.

(*The big obstacle for most is the fact you have to subscribe to a shit TV package before you can add BT or Sky on top..... If it was just £25 pcm streaming subscription many more would be all over it.)

It's all a philosophical debate about nothing.
Spurs don't screen away matches, which means they aren't allowed to. Otherwise there's no way Levy isn't opening up the drinks and food counters in the stadium. He ain't passing up a buck.

It's hardly a whimsical concept though..... Deals get struck, precedents get set.... Not every club has a stadium that would suit this kind of initiative.... We do though.

It's all a philosophical debate about nothing. Spurs don't screen away matches, which means they aren't allowed to. Otherwise there's no way Levy isn't opening up the drinks and food counters in the stadium. He ain't passing up a buck.
It's a good debate - and one I'm sure the clubs & broadcasters will have had at various levels. I'm wondering if, on a week-to-week basis, if it might not be financially worth Spurs opening the stadium to screen an away game. Norwich isn't a run-of-the-mill fixture and shouldn't be used as the yardstick.

I reckon if there was a profit in it for the clubs & broadcasters they'd be doing it by now.

It's a good debate - and one I'm sure the clubs & broadcasters will have had at various levels. I'm wondering if, on a week-to-week basis, if it might not be financially worth Spurs opening the stadium to screen an away game. Norwich isn't a run-of-the-mill fixture and shouldn't be used as the yardstick.

I reckon if there was a profit in it for the clubs & broadcasters they'd be doing it by now.

Things evolve though and behind the scenes you'd imagine such convo's are routinely resurrected......

As per my last post..... Some stadiums are more 'modular' than others; which is why i think it may be more viable for us than most.

I have to admit, I'm really nervous for this game - I went to Middlesbrough and still bear the scars of Newcastle (a), Port Vale (a), Notts C (a), Burnley (h) in the league Cup in the 80s when we lost to them when they were Third Division!
Yes on paper, we should smash them out of sight, and 99 times out of a hundred, this is a slam dunk. But as we all know, the game throws up a freak result every now and again, just to keep it interesting. We've all seen games when one team has umpteen chances and the bulk of possession and still lose, let's hope that Sunday's game is not one of those.
Having said all that, if we stay focused and professional, we should get this over the line, complacency is our enemy.
I wish I was going!!!
But don’t forget Mrs P , the goons are more than likely going to bottle it , yet again

Let’s be honest guys, if someone said to you that Spurs would be in with a whisker of Top 4 and you had your choice of a team to pick for Spurs to play away, I guarantee almost every Spurs fan would pick Norwich. Yes, i agree we are Spurs, but we couldn’t of had an easier game to finish our season. This team are utter trash and are relegated. Our players are bang in form, on a high and we have far to much firepower. We are NOT fucking this up, stop worrying.
And not forgetting the Conte effect , which is a major plus

Things evolve though and behind the scenes you'd imagine such convo's are routinely resurrected......

As per my last post..... Some stadiums are more 'modular' than others; which is why i think it may be more viable for us than most.
The contracts, however, aren't signed on a club to club basis. As you say, not all clubs have facilities capable of really supporting something like that (certainly not as well as ours can). So why would the vast majority of clubs, who can't turn as much if any revenue out of this as we could, support the minority's quest to carve away more niche revenue. So we end up negotiating against the broadcasters and our peer clubs.

It's a difficult sale. It's basically excluded from every sports broadcasting contract as this isn't happening in any major sport in the world.

I love the idea, just feel like it's next to impossible to get done.

It would be the most Spursy thing every for us to find a way to lose. Hopefully a lot of the Norwich players are already on the beach. Score first and early and it will be a comfortable and joyous afternoon.
Well Great Yarmouth is only down the road... so you never know!!

Need to go into this game like Liverpool have been doing the last few years; no fear. Shouldn’t be worrying about them scoring. Only thing on our mind should be getting the first goal and then the second and then the third. We should be able to beat these guys in third gear but I expect our team to be in fifth from the off. No excuses really. 90mins to play your pants off and the summer holidays, here we come!

hopefully norwich half come out to have a go and try to sign out with a win, if they do i fancy son to get golden boot. surely kane will be passing any pens over ( if the points are in the bag of course)

Back
Top Bottom