Norwich away (League cup)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs don't help themselves... the repeated failure to either kill off a game, or if you can't do that, at least CLOSE IT OUT, but we've messed about on both versions of 'how to win a game' this year, and dropped vital points, and gone out of the only Cup we may have been in with a shout of winning!
Man Utd aside (which, result aside, I never want to have to go through again) the points we've thrown away before, and since, make that result redundant, insomuch as there's little point getting 3 points at OT, when you drop 4 at home to WBA & Norwich (bogey team?)...

We'd have actually been better of closing those two out at 1-0 and going down to our annual defeat at OT... as it is, that win now feels like when Middlesbrough or QPR won up there years ago... a one-off freak result, that all comes crashing back down when you fail to win your home games!

I'm still annoyed at last night, if only compounded by ArseAnal's ridiculous turnaround at Reading the night before... at 0-4 down (them) and 2-4 down with 1 minute to go... and us conceding twice in the last 7 minutes, those 2 results should surely have been the other way round, and we'd be looking forward to a home tie against Villa... and wondering if Bradford could beat Reading and get us the Semis...! as it is, none of those things are happening now... humrumphfleflumph!

:avbshock: :dempsey: :gallas:

What frustrates me is that Woolwich can play like cunts for 45 minutes and come back and win a game, we can play like cunts for 5 minutes and lose.

That, in a nutshell has been the difference between Spurs & ArseAnal for just about as long as I can remember!
Is it down to luck? is it never-say-die? Is it winning mentality and mental strenggssss? (Sic. Wengerspeak) It can't ALWAYS feel like it, but it does... just when you think we've 'swapped mentalities', they'll go and do it to ya... again and again and a-fucking-gain!

You just can't trust ArseAnal to be shit for any sustained length of time, but you can rely on us fucking it up royally at regular intervals!

I just think it comes down to players unfortunately. We dont have (and haven't for years) enough players with real character/drive/determination to win.
I know that only gets you so far but I cant help feeling like if we had someone with the drive of Rooney (I know he is also top class) we wouldn't have this problem as much. Cant wait for Parker to come back and give us some drive/gusto. Livermore, Gylfi, Dempsey, Carroll (bit harsh probably) even lennon just look apologetic at times, they just plod around without much purpose.
We dominated this game and I cant help but feel although we seem to have more possession under AVB, we seem less likely to score than when Arry was at the helm (not suggesting for one moment I want him back or he was better) just something I feel.

Walker, Caulker, Naughton, Bale, Livermore, Carroll, Falque. All 23 or under I believe. I'll take the positives from that. Even our goalkeeper was only 25.

When you look at the team who was challenging for 2nd and 3rd last year how many of those players were involved? I'm glad to see younger players being given the experience. I just don't expect them to be the finished product when they do play a competitive game as a team.

Walker, Caulker, Naughton, Bale, Livermore, Carroll, Falque. All 23 or under I believe. I'll take the positives from that. Even our goalkeeper was only 25.

When you look at the team who was challenging for 2nd and 3rd last year how many of those players were involved? I'm glad to see younger players being given the experience. I just don't expect them to be the finished product when they do play a competitive game as a team.
tumblr_mc7zxuK1bm1qfybz2.gif

I know what you are saying but top players (which we will need to compete at the top, and even top 5/6) are/have to be good enough at 23, I cant see the likes of Livermore becoming a great player in another two/three years.
If you are good enough you are young enough as they say.

I know what you are saying but top players (which we will need to compete at the top, and even top 5/6) are/have to be good enough at 23, I cant see the likes of Livermore becoming a great player in another two/three years.
If you are good enough you are young enough as they say.
No they don't.

I'm just saying I think most successful players were good enough by the age of 23. Not saying if they aren't setting the world on fire at 19 they never will.

Man Utd aside (which, result aside, I never want to have to go through again) the points we've thrown away before, and since, make that result redundant, insomuch as there's little point getting 3 points at OT, when you drop 4 at home to WBA & Norwich (bogey team?)...

I disagree because that means in theory, beating Man U away means we should win every other game against a lesser team than Utd. Totally unrealistic.

WBA and Norwich were very early in the season, and still, to this day, AVB hasnt had a full squad to choose from.

I'm just saying I think most successful players were good enough by the age of 23. Not saying if they aren't setting the world on fire at 19 they never will.

Problem is Spurs (all clubs) need to decide at age 21 if players stay in the squad or get farmed out on loan.

Caulker, Naughton both benefited from loans last year. Carroll probably needs one, Livermore is far down the list of starting midfielders right now. Injuries are giving him games. But he can still improve.

Football is a team game, the team that played last night may not play together again this season, a decent 22 year old will look a lot better playing in a better settled team.

Scott Parker would be a prime example of a player who has got better with age, age 24 he was third choice, last year first choice in a Top 4 team.

The flip side is some players look like they will make it and by 23 burn out. There's no set formula for when an individual will develop.

Problem is Spurs (all clubs) need to decide at age 21 if players stay in the squad or get farmed out on loan.

Caulker, Naughton both benefited from loans last year. Carroll probably needs one, Livermore is far down the list of starting midfielders right now. Injuries are giving him games. But he can still improve.

Football is a team game, the team that played last night may not play together again this season, a decent 22 year old will look a lot better playing in a better settled team.

Scott Parker would be a prime example of a player who has got better with age, age 24 he was third choice, last year first choice in a Top 4 team.

The flip side is some players look like they will make it and by 23 burn out. There's no set formula for when an individual will develop.
Yea I agree mostly, I just worry sometimes when we have the attitude of assuming because we have young players they will all eventually make it. I suppose what I am trying to say is, if we are trying to finish in the top 4 and win trophy's we either need to send our youngsters out on loan elsewhere to get some game time or hope we pick some players up that are exceptional for their age (the likes of Hazard).
A few games in the Capital one cup and a few in Europe per season isn't really going to develop them much is it? The likes of Caulker have had full seasons behind them before playing for us.

Carroll definitely but out of the other six who would you loan out?

Bale and Walker are first team. Livermore, Naughton and Caulker are getting games in the league - mainly due to injuries admittedly but injuries are one guarantee through a season. And Falque is probably the most natural replacement we have for Lennon if he gets injured.
You can add Townsend to that list as well as a direct replacement for Bale.

And if our true first team was all fit and playing right now we would be looking at the side last night very differently.

I do think we are seeing a shift in how the club operates it's playing staff in line with the financial constraints of the new stadium. We can't afford to have 25 players earning £75k a week. That's around £20million pounds a week. That's a lot of DVDs.

Carroll definitely but out of the other six who would you loan out?

Bale and Walker are first team. Livermore, Naughton and Caulker are getting games in the league - mainly due to injuries admittedly but injuries are one guarantee through a season. And Falque is probably the most natural replacement we have for Lennon if he gets injured.
You can add Townsend to that list as well as a direct replacement for Bale.

And if our true first team was all fit and playing right now we would be looking at the side last night very differently.

I do think we are seeing a shift in how the club operates it's playing staff in line with the financial constraints of the new stadium. We can't afford to have 25 players earning £75k a week. That's around £20million pounds a week. That's a lot of DVDs.
Yea I mean going forward rather than loaning out those particular players.
Like I say, if we crash out of Europe and cups early, players like Townsend, Carroll, Naughton,Livermore, Falque are likely going to be severely limited in game time unless we have major injury problems. Then again, loans dont always work out. Townsend, Bostock haven't exactly had great loans anywhere have they? Again it seems the better players make loan moves count (like Caulker and Walker) Bale was good enough not to need to go out on loan.
I suppose all that shows is that its a tricky one to get right.

bensonrecon bensonrecon
for some reason I cant quote the above but I did say MOST players and not ALL.

Plus its not like Luca Toni hadn't scored goals before his first big move, I'm sure in his early twenties he was scoring double figures a season.

Back
Top Bottom