Now is not the time

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s all well and good but the glaring elephant in the room is that little thing called ‘silverware’.

The suggestion of hat we should look at how far we have come when the club has gone through its first decade without silverware since the 30s is somewhat of hallow one. More so given that the club has had two of its best sides in that time.

The spend narrative has always been a misguided one - the club even its its current position doesn’t have the capacity to compete in this arena. We haven’t needed too - we have built one of the best squads in Europe in recent years operating a low spend.

The issue doesn’t rest with the players - the talent is clearly there, a large part lies with the management and clearly my position on our manager is quite apparent . Whilst the majority believe we have a Ivan Lendl to use a tennis analogy ( where despite his failures it is/was only a matter of time before he won a major) to me it’s quite apparent with have a Tim Heman ( a very good player but one not good enough to win major honours). The real interest is why this is a topic of discussion that 99% of the supporter base absolutely refuse to have.

But let’s put that aside because there is other issues at play. The mentality of the supporter base is also to blame. This endless referencing of failed eras is hugely damaging - I don’t care if you remember the 90s - what relevance does those teams have to this one? We shouldn’t be setting expectations around failed teams and failed eras - it should be based on what we have now relative to our peers.

That’s why this laissez faire approach from so may of our supporters is so infuriating. The notion that we don’t have to believe that this is the time now is quite frankly absurd. The club has built a team that typically comes around once in a generation - it’s gone nearly 30 years since its last FA Cup win, nearly 40 since a UEFA cup win.

Tottenham’s history and tradition is rooted in silverware and success - it’s most successful manager openly stated that finishing without silverware represented a bad season and that second best wasn’t good enough. Why on earth so many of our supporters have chosen to ignore our history and traditions at time when we have team capable of wining major honours I simply do no know.

Brilliant post but there is space on the same page for both this and the good and measured article.

And for sure we should have won a trophy in the last 5 years.

Not too much to ask for with the talent so that BIG QUESTION remains. On that I am with you 100%.

make the absolute most it whilst it is here.

I agree and that's exactly why I have enjoyed Spurs so much over the last few seasons and also understand, that it's not all one way, you think we'll always be a Champions League team?

Speak to any City supporter and they will tell you their most prized memory is Aguero scoring in the 93rd minute to win the league beating their rivals in the process.

I think that's an interesting one, contrast the 2 occasions, City were a normal team when they came back, their fans cried at the relegations to the Championship and League One, they made it back to the promised land or the moment they won a league they should have because they had the most money of any club. One moment alleviated real years of hardship and the other just met a basic expectation, bearing in mind that Aguero moment never happens if they don't return to the prem in the first place.

Without history, you don't have context, without failure you don't appreciate success for what it is and with a lack of understanding of all of this where you breed a sense of false entitlement, watch a few clips of AFTV and you'll see the toxicity it can create.

Are these the same experts that said that David Moyes was a high level manager and was an appropriate chose to take over Ferguson? I guess I was wrong for opposing that view of these ‘experts’

Let’s deal with the facts - Pochettino has been our manager for five seasons. In that time he has had one the best teams in the league ( the cumulative points total and the value of the squad demonstrate that) and he has zero trophies to his name.

He is 47, by that age the games elite managers had all won multiple silverware. Like players managers have their lifespan - most go into decline into their ‘50s.

I find the suggestion that the longest serving PL manager needs more time absolutely laughable. As is the question of resources - he had a team of Kane, Eriksen, Ali, Son, Alderweirld, Dembele, Lloris to name a few available to him.

I have been told that that the stadium and finances have been a hindrance. Fine but it isn’t any more - the stadium is finished and we have just spent £65 million on one of the best young players in Europe.

When exactly should we start expecting him to deliver silverware? In 5 years time, 10’years?
We’re progressing: I’ll start complaining when there’s no evidence of progress. This season was nearly unwatchable at times, but it could be worse - we could be Woolwich or Man U - sleepwalking into a shadow of what we once were.

Unlike lots of other posters, I do agree with the sentiment, and share some of your frustrations, but I see enough (and this season the CL final - flukey though it was - WAS just enough) of a forward trajectory. Like yourself, I worry about us being caught or overtaken, but we have just invested, it looks like the stadium and higher profile are going to pay off and, we’ll, it’s better than I’ve ever known it (nearly 40 years).

Two more years of ‘nearlys’ or a catastrophic season and I’ll be reevaluating!

Last edited:
I can’t watch the video but If we had an owner like Kroenke then I would expect the supporter base to speak out. I take it you wouldn’t then?

Again this is about us and the mentality of our supporter base. It’s about the absolute refusal to place any sort of expectations of this side, the refusal to hold the clubs manager to any account. It’s about the open derision of trophies that have defined this football club like the UEFA cup, FA cup and league cup.

So where's your #PochOut banner been you fucking hypocrite?

Similarly, I can fucking bet you weren't on the street protesting the idea of moving to Stratford were you?

As long as you're spreading your gospel of doom on an internet forum, your 'righteous' work is done, isn't it.

You're a cancer, you joyless motherfucker!

Eat shit, if all you're here for is to take the piss out of our club and liken us to a fanbase that many of us despise for unrelated reasons.

CL final, Ndombele wankfest?

....What you here for honestly?

Quelle suprise.... :pochrolleyes:

Alt. opinion is great... Incessant doom mongering and ego-driven contrarianism can fuck off.

Cest la vie mate.

It's better than the circle jerk of the status quo that this forum sometimes becomes.

Oh come come airfixx I smell projection I think deep down your laughing inside.
You just don't wanna admit it.

Seriously.... Fuck off!

Was I laughing at the final whistle of the CL final?

No, I was fucking heartbroken! (...With only the joy and elation of the journey there to comfort me.)

Couldn't have laughed it off or mustered up enough rage to blame even if I'd wanted to.

Having expectations of silverware when you have one the best teams in the league isn’t being entitled. Placing no expectations on such a side is what is odd as is fighting those on the supporter base and media who do.

Ok, just humour me, what are you expecting from Spurs next season and what will you do if those expectations are not met?

These are the facts - we have had one of the best teams in the league over the last five seasons and yet we are only the club in the top 6 on that time to have not won anything despite have the second highest cumulative points total in that period. When inferior sides have won multiple trophies and we have not questions should be asked.

As for Pochettino being hunted by the top clubs - which one? Where the official moves? And if you are taking about the likes of United and Madrid when given their standard of their managerial appointments in recent seasons that is hardly and accolade.

And can we please stop with this little Tottenham battling against the odds narrative please. We deserve to be in this position because of the players we have - many of which where here before Pochettino. We are largely in our current position due to the board and it’s strategy. As with Redknapp Pochettino is being massively overstated in truth he is the actual week link in the chain.

Thanks for the reply, and I will not be able to provide links tonight so bare with me.

Paragraph 1.. Correct we have not delivered silverware in the period that Poch has been with us, however he himself has made it clear the League and FA Cups are not his priority. He has made this known publicly. Not that he disgards them , but rather his focus on on the PL title or the CL. Thus, his rotation/ selection of players etc in such efforts.

As it relates to Poch being hunted by bigger clubs, again I can only refer to his own comments. If I recall correctly, he did dismiss RM, saying words the effect that " whilst its an honour, he has unfinished business having signed a new contract".

The battling the odds narrative is a result of not having a home ground for 2 seasons, having a massive injury toll season past, building a state of the art stadia, not having invested in the player market for depth for 2 windows, and so on. Now, the spending issue isn't on Poch. Is it ? Having said that, as it stands today, it appears for the first time in many years, we are attracting first choice options and building nicely.

Poch being a weak link? Sorry cant agree.

#COYS

Why is the Hoods opinion so I'm palatable for some of you guys ?

I don't share his opinion at all but I can see how such opinions can be formed , as far as I can tell he's not abusive or particularly condescending.

Nothing wrong with it....but when it's beaten over your head for the nth time it can get a tad wearying...

THIS... Plus, his refusal to enjoy/praise the upside to the Poch era..... Even the undeniable positives are framed (and only ackowledged when it suits him) in a way as to underline his negative viewpoint.

Back
Top Bottom