Now is not the time

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know we've been through this a hundred times......

But then what mate? when you're-evaluate' your support after a poor season or two?
Either you:
  • continue to support the club, through thick and thin, come what may - what some people call 'happy clappers', or
  • moan about your club all the fucking time because they are 'disappointing' you and, after all, the world revolves around your feelings, or
  • decide to support another club that wins pretty silver cups, because that's what makes you happy.
Oh, and let's not deliberately confuse 'steadfast support' with 'lack of ambition'.

You'll have guessed where I am on the spectrum and this is uncomfortable, because the implication is that 'we' think we are 'better supporters' than 'them', which naturally causes resentment amongst our broad church - but I can't se any other logical inference.
Always support the club, the players, the manager, the board (ENIC, for all their mistakes, are clearly taking the club on a massive upward trajectory) - but maybe begin to mutter about mistakes made at a high-level. No problem with mistakes, but always a problem if we don’t learn from them. I’ll admit I doubted Poch at the beginning when we were dropping crazy points and random players in and out of the team and upsetting what I believed was the ‘best way’ - but now I trust that he’s done a fantastic job, and really want us to make the transition to the next stage. If we don’t and it all goes to shit, then I’ll still be watching, cheering us on as we go down 5-3, having been 3-0 up at half-time!

Please don’t think I have answers, I don’t, but if the same mistakes are made and there’s no sign of trying to fix them, or settling for something, then there’s a problem. There’s clearly massive ambition at the club, Ndombele shows us that - we’re building for the future, but if there’s open stagnation (or chaos, a la Sherwood, AVB), then maybe we will need a change?

I know we've been through this a hundred times......

But then what mate? when you're-evaluate' your support after a poor season or two?
Either you:
  • continue to support the club, through thick and thin, come what may - what some people call 'happy clappers', or
  • moan about your club all the fucking time because they are 'disappointing' you and, after all, the world revolves around your feelings, or
  • decide to support another club that wins pretty silver cups, because that's what makes you happy.
Oh, and let's not deliberately confuse 'steadfast support' with 'lack of ambition'.

You'll have guessed where I am on the spectrum and this is uncomfortable, because the implication is that 'we' think we are 'better supporters' than 'them', which naturally causes resentment amongst our broad church - but I can't se any other logical inference.

Bigger fans, maybe not, but better supporters; fuck yes.... I have no shame about declaring this and do so with great pride too.

I get ribbed by pricks like Hood all the time; accused of thinking I am the "best" fan.... Bollocks; there's plenty out there who's SUPPORT (There's that word again!) exceeds mine (be that through years of service or the amount of constructive effort/commitment I see them put into their support of the club), but when compared to someone that does nothing more that cunt the club off on-line on a daily basis and seemingly get's a kick out of pissing in the collective's cornflakes, I have no qualms about claiming the higher ground without fear that mine is a view driven by ego.

Last edited:
I know I’m new here, but I’d love a trophy - who wouldn’t but - and this is the kicker - for the long term health of the club that we all love, the truth (at this present time) is that the CL qualification is much more valuable to our longevity than any single piece of silverware. And, I guess, when it comes down to ‘3 points at Brighton on Saturday’ vs ‘best team out in Rd 3 League Cup on Wednesday’, those three points could be worth nearly a hundred million pounds, as they were last season with our run to the final.

Is the alternative the Mourinho model - win some trophies, but leave the club disintegrating? We can’t compare with City because of the money, nor any of the other ‘top’ teams. Compare to Atletico - similar position in terms of ‘big boys’ - the increase in PL vs La Liga is negated as different leagues and cups and, then, we’re about right: challenging, competing, getting close. We’re Atletico, not Real, we’re Dortmund, not Bayern (dodgy example, but you get the sentiment)...it’s just where we are in the pecking order at the moment. Frustrating, but true.

I think you're describing where most of us are at, no one here is saying 'I don't want us to win trophies' or that we don't deserve to, it's just the context of this league, the teams around us and our rate of development. I find it hard to get angry or disappointed by the situation at the moment.

Bigger fans, maybe not, but better supporters; fuck yes.... I have no shame about declaring this and do so with great pride either.

I get ribbed by pricks like Hood all the time; accused of thinking I am the "best" fan.... Bollocks; there's plenty out there who's SUPPORT (There's that word again!) exceeds mine (be that through years of service or the amount of constructive effort/commitment I see them put into their support of the club), but when compared to someone that does nothing more that cunt the club off on-line on a daily basis and seemingly get's a kick out of pissing in the collective's cornflakes, I have no qualms about claiming the higher ground without fear that's mine is s a view driven by ego.

The Hood sparks decent debate.

Cobblers.

"It's all shit... Come at me"

That's hardly riveting stuff. Any old cunt can do that.... If you're gonna credit anyone in the thread how about crediting the writer of the fucking article, rather the miserable contrarian cunt in the equation.

Cobblers.

"It's all shit... Come at me"

That's hardly riveting stuff. Any old cunt can do that.... If you're gonna credit anyone in the thread how about crediting the writer of the fucking article, rather the miserable contrarian cunt in the equation.

I like the voices of John Thomas and the Hood it's boring otherwise , their perspective needs to be represented here.

Oh come come airfixx I smell projection I think deep down your laughing inside.
You just don't wanna admit it.

Eat shit, if all you're here for is to take the piss out of our club and liken us to a fanbase that many of us despise for unrelated reasons.

CL final, Ndombele wankfest?

....What you here for honestly?

I like the voices of John Thomas and the Hood it's boring otherwise , their perspective needs to be represented here.

Quelle suprise.... :pochrolleyes:

Alt. opinion is great... Incessant doom mongering and ego-driven contrarianism can fuck off.

So where's your #PochOut banner been you fucking hypocrite?

Similarly, I can fucking bet you weren't on the street protesting the idea of moving to Stratford were you?

As long as you're spreading your gospel of doom on an internet forum, your 'righteous' work is done, isn't it.

You're a cancer, you joyless motherfucker!

Straw man ahoy!

Where have I said Pochettino isn’t a good manager or that he should be sacked?

The sheer fact that could say this just demonstrates your absolute refusal to listen to alternative viewpoints or address any faults that rest with the personnel at the club and the impact this may have.

You just see what you want to see - it’s sad that you actually believe it’s the role of supporter to provide unwavering and unquestioning support.

We are the custodians of the club - we’ve been here longer than Levy, Pochettino and any player and will still be here long after they are gone. It’s our role to safeguard the clubs history and traditions - to hold those those parties to account whereas for some utterly bizarre reason you believe it to be the other way round. It’s actually sad that we have so many in the supporter base who have completely lost sight of this.

Eat shit, if all you're here for is to take the piss out of our club and liken us to a fanbase that many of us despise for unrelated reasons.

CL final, Ndombele wankfest?

....What you here for honestly?

Quelle suprise.... :pochrolleyes:

Alt. opinion is great... Incessant doom mongering and ego-driven contrarianism can fuck off.

Cest la vie mate.

It's better than the circle jerk of the status quo that this forum sometimes becomes.

Oh come come airfixx I smell projection I think deep down your laughing inside.
You just don't wanna admit it.

Seriously.... Fuck off!

Was I laughing at the final whistle of the CL final?

No, I was fucking heartbroken! (...With only the joy and elation of the journey there to comfort me.)

Couldn't have laughed it off or mustered up enough rage to blame even if I'd wanted to.

Cest la vie mate.

It's better than the circle jerk of the status quo that this forum sometimes becomes.

We all profess to love the same thing; why are you so at odds with the idea that we'd be on the same page....

When (if) you attend games do you hope to find a stadium full of fans torn and at odds with other, or do you relish the idea of 60k in unison all willing the team on to the same dream?

Happiness isn't edgy enough for the likes of you and Hood? Grow up, mate.... That's the mindset of a snotty teenager.

(This place is anything but a circle jerk... Fer christ's sake!!!)

Last edited:

The irony is that we often get confused when we are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I don’t agree with his position on Levy but I don’t have any issue with it being discussed whatsoever - it should be . Just what are these superfanz so sacred of?

We all profess to love the same thing; why are you so at odds with the idea that we'd be on the same page....

When (if) you attend games do you hope to find a stadium full of fans torn and at odds with other, or do you relish the idea of 60k in unison all will the team on to the same dream?

Happiness isn't edgy enough for the likes of you and Hood? Grow up, mate.... That's the mindset of a snotty teenager.

I'm not at odds with anything at all and I have been to 2 games in 2 years Barcelona and Madrid. We aren't at a match we are in a forum ie a platform for discussion.

I simply welcome all opinions and perspectives within reason even if I disagree with them.

Back
Top Bottom