Now is not the time

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s the role of the manager to get them to perform, to implement the right formation and tactics, to give them the required mindset.

In that case Poch deserves massive credit and praise for getting us to the CL final in the first place.

Oh and in case you try your usual tactic of deflection, he also deserves massive praise and credit for getting us to a top 4 place with a squad that suffered many injuries to many players at the same time, some of them long term, and no new players for 2 transfer windows.

You can't have it both ways.

We get it, you hate Pochettino...and there's no convincing you otherwise, so what's the point in trying?

And only a few posts above I wrote this.

I would love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong - I like him, think he is a good manager. It’s just that I don’t think he has the talent to do that though.

It’s quite clear that I’m dealing with a group of fanatical Pochettino fans who absolutely refuse to critique him in anyway or accept others doing.

Cue yet another ‘yeah but you h8t him don’t ya’ post.

This is is level I have to contend with - absolutely no point in the thread have I said Poch out or talked about the Champions League Final.

It’s does make me laugh that when people claim the manager is not to blame for a poor performance it’s the players. It’s the role of the manager to get them to perform, to implement the right formation and tactics, to give them the required mindset.

We had been in free fall results once since February resulting in our worst run since 2008. But that had no bearing on the CL final of course and the manager isn't responsible for getting results he?

It's still entirely relevant to YOUR gripe tho regardless of your protestation of convenience.

If a trophy is central to your point, players performing poorly in finals simply must bring more than just Poch under the spotlight.... Especially if you believe like some do that they shrink as soon as silverware is in sight. See: Leicester/Wham 16/17, Wolves 18/19, domestic finals vs Utd & Chavs, CL vs Liverpool.

The players MUST at least face a similar degree of scrutiny/accountability as that which you insist on subjecting Poch to.

And only a few posts above I wrote this.

It’s quite clear that I’m dealing with a group of fanatical Pochettino fans who absolutely refuse to critique him in anyway or accept others doing.

Cue yet another ‘yeah but you h8t him don’t ya’ post.
A group? Practically every Spurs fan loves the guy...fucking hell, there's a hell of lot of football fans in general who love the guy.....apart from weirdos like you, we're just the last people who will engage with you in here, everyone has gave up long ago...and this is me giving up too, life's too fucking short to waste any more time on you...

In that case Poch deserves massive credit and praise for getting us to the CL final in the first place.

Oh and in case you try your usual tactic of deflection, he also deserves massive praise and credit for getting us to a top 4 place with a squad that suffered many injuries to many players at the same time, some of them long term, and no new players for 2 transfer windows.

You can't have it both ways.

I don’t care about getting to finals and semi finals if don’t win them - the game doesn’t remember or care about the runners up. None us place any significance to Liverpool (2018) Woolwich (2006) getting to a CL final and would rightly mock their supporter base for claiming this as a major achievement that others should be envious of. We have the players to be winning these tournaments. If Pochettinho had Jols team I wouldn’t be placing this level of expectation on him but he doesn’t - he has the best group of players arguably since the double era winning team.

And again we should be qualifying comfortably in the top 4. United we a complete catastrophe last and Woolwich were decidedly mediocre. We should have finished 3rd but allowed another mediocre side to overtake us in Chelsea whose supporter-base didn’t want him.

As I keep on saying this is about levels and Pochettinho keeps on failing to break that final ceiling. Tell me why are we the only team in the top 6 not to any have a trophy in the last 5 seasons when all of the others ( including far inferior teams have). How do you account for this exactly?

I don’t care about getting to finals and semi finals if don’t win them - the game doesn’t remember or care about the runners up. None us place any significance to Liverpool (2018) Woolwich (2006) getting to a CL final and would rightly mock their supporter base for claiming this as a major achievement that others should be envious of. We have the players to be winning these tournaments. If Pochettinho had Jols team I wouldn’t be placing this level of expectation on him but he doesn’t - he has the best group of players arguably since the double era winning team.

And again we should be qualifying comfortably in the top 4. United we a complete catastrophe last and Woolwich were decidedly mediocre. We should have finished 3rd but allowed another mediocre side to overtake us in Chelsea whose supporter-base didn’t want him.

As I keep on saying this is about levels and Pochettinho keeps on failing to break that final ceiling. Tell me why are we the only team in the top 6 not to any have a trophy in the last 5 seasons when all of the others ( including far inferior teams have). How do you account for this exactly?

And as always we come full circle, this from before.

Let me get this straight.
When we play well and win, its because we have elite players and an elite squad. Nothing to do with Poch.

When those elite players play badly (see CL final) and lose it's Poch's fault.

Got it.

And you thought I didn't understand the point.

Perhaps you may want to underhand the point at hand before entering into the thread with such a clumsy attempt.

I think I pretty much got the point spot bollock on.

I'm done.

It's still entirely relevant to YOUR gripe tho regardless of your protestation of convenience.

If a trophy is central to your point, players performing poorly in finals simply must bring more than just Poch under the spotlight.... Especially if you believe like some do that they shrink as soon as silverware is in sight. See: Leicester/Wham 16/17, Wolves 18/19, domestic finals vs Utd & Chavs, CL vs Liverpool.

The players MUST at least face a similar degree of scrutiny/accountability as that which you insist on subjecting Poch to.

And they do - to use one example I used to be a huge supporter of Dier but he has regressed massively and I would content with him being replaced. All of our players are under constant scrutiny on here - with constant opinions on who should be retained and who should be replaced and no one take issue with that because we want the best team we can have. My point is that this squad , which isn’t perfect, is one of the best in the league and has been for a number of years now. If the collective keeps on failing to get over the final line when inferior sides are winning trophies then it’s not really the players is it - the question then falls onto the manager.

I'm done.

In a nutshell, the standard synopsis of any discussion with Hood....

Someone championed him for sparking interesting debate on an earlier page.... That's bollocks... If one zooms out a little, he simply DOESN'T debate.

His presence is like treading in shit.... Sure you'll take time to clean it off your shoe, but it's an entirely unwelcome use of one's time.

In a nutshell, the standard synopsis of any discussion with Hood....

Someone championed him for sparking interesting debate on an earlier page.... That's bollocks... If one zooms out a little, he simply DOESN'T debate.

His presence is like treading in shit.... Sure you'll take time to clean it off your shoe, but it's an entirely unwelcome use of one's time.
Spot on.

Of course, were we to win a domestic trophy the argument would be, "We should of won more....it's not enough....elite team.....wasted opportunities.......etc"

Spot on.

Of course, were we to win a domestic trophy the argument would be, "We should of won more....it's not enough....elite team.....wasted opportunities.......etc"

Indeed... Thats the beauty of bemoaning the past (for some).... It can't be changed.

I'm done.

No I get it you want him to get credit for doing the minimum. It’s like giving him credit for keeping Southampton up in his final season when they have the players to comfortably do that. With the squad we have should be finishing in the top 4 ( especially given the standard of some of the teams in the top 6) and we should be winning trophies ( which we are not). But then again I’m dealing with a person who openly admits that he has criticised our manager once in nearly 6 years.

When the elite sides meet in these trophies the deciding factor often comes down to the managers and Pochettinho is consistently found wanting on these games. He is a tier 2 manager much like Redknapp was.

But as I said before this is all ignored because I’m dealing with a group of supporters who still believe that it’s 1997. Who believe that we don’t deserve to be here, that base their expections on historic failures rather the players we have now. It explains everything - that’s why you believe CL qualification is a major achievement because we are Tottenham and are competing against United, Chelsea, Woolwich, City and have no right to be ( despite having a team to compete with these sides).

Perhaps the next generation of Spurs supporters won’t be such cowards - terrified of disappointment, unwilling to place any credible expectations on talented sides.

Perhaps the next generation of Spurs supporters won’t be such cowards - terrified of disappointment, unwilling to place any credible expectations on talented sides.

I know and I, for one, can't wait till everyone who supports the club with your level of entitlement and distain.

I can't wait to protest outside the ground when we only beat Southampton by a single goal.

I can't wait to burn an effigy of poch when we only draw at Barcelona in the champions league.

I can't wait looking back at how cowardly it was to enjoy going to the football with friends and family, sharing laughter because I wasn't always finding a reason to be annoyed at the club.

I look forward to your dystopian future of entitlement and anger.

I know and I, for one, can't wait till everyone who supports the club with your level of entitlement and distain.

I can't wait to protest outside the ground when we only beat Southampton by a single goal.

I can't wait to burn an effigy of poch when we only draw at Barcelona in the champions league.

I can't wait looking back at how cowardly it was to enjoy going to the football with friends and family, sharing laughter because I wasn't always finding a reason to be annoyed at the club.

I look forward to your dystopian future of entitlement and anger.

No doubt you’ll enjoy whatever is served to you - that’s what happens when you have little to no expectations. How can you ever be disappointed when you never expect anything!

I’ll continue to base my expectations around what we have in terms of players - which will be high when we have an elite squad and will be low when we have a poor one.

That’s how it should be but unfortunately poor little Tottenham syndrome is present amongst too many in the supporter base.

It is not that important what you or I want as supporters as what the players want. Players including Kane have talked about winning trophies and whilst they believe they can do it with Tottenham they will stay. At one time we constantly played weak teams in the cups. Now if we get an important match we play a strong team. We just have not won them. Beating MC and Ajax made me think we had turned a corner but surely we are close and just need to get over the line to get more.

Back
Top Bottom