Now that the CL is gone, is it better for us to miss out on the EL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now that the CL is gone. Do you want us to qualify for the Europa League?

• Yes, Europa league is worth qualifying for and trying to win

Votes: 66 62.9%
  • No, Europa league will hinder our chances of getting back into the Top 4

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Don't care as long as we finish above Woolwich this season

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters

Distaste for scouse

Hates football hipsters. Go cram your XG up your..
My opinion is that the Europa League is an absolute killer with the Thursday-Sunday schedule.
Now that the Champions League is done I think it would be an absolute blessing in disguise to miss out on the Europa League as well.
I think we will have more chance of getting back into that top 4 without Europa League distraction.

that's my opinion what do you good people think?

It's never a blessing to miss out on a competition that we could win, that is a mentality that has plagued us for a long time. Frankly if we aren't good enough to compete in the Europa and a top 4 place, then we don't deserve to be in the champions league.

We've won 1 trophy in 20 years, we don't have the right to turn up our nose at the Europa.

If I had the choice and CL wasn’t possible I would take the EL every day of the week, true it’s a killer with the schedule but we shouldn’t be there just to make up the numbers, we should be in it with the intention of winning it, if we don’t think we can win the EL what chance do we have of ever winning the CL?

The only way NOT being in Europa is beneficial to us is if we can win the league. It's highly unlikely we're going to win the league next season so being in the Europa will give us two chances at getting in the UCL the following season instead of 1.

This "fuck Europa let's focus on the league mentality" is bullshit. Putting all your eggs in one basket in football very rarely works. We should want to be in as many competitions as possible competing for as many trophies as possible.

To Dare is to Do.

Not "We shouldn't Dare to Do more than one competition because we'll get tired"

Winning breeds winning. The actual Final experience is needed as well.

Think of how much better prepared we would be as a club for CL final had we of actually tried to get to an EL final.

We are crap so can't handle europe & the league. So not fussed if we miss out. If I thought we could win it then I'd want to be in it. I get some of you still think we are a really good team who can win it. I think the opposite so therefore, probably for the best if we don't qualify. But won't be annoyed if we do qualify.

We are crap so can't handle europe & the league. So not fussed if we miss out. If I thought we could win it then I'd want to be in it. I get some of you still think we are a really good team who can win it. I think the opposite so therefore, probably for the best if we don't qualify. But won't be annoyed if we do qualify.
After last nights performance can see where your coming from, but the EL is next season, lets Judge Jose after Levy backs him in the summer transfer window! :levylol::mourfacepalm:

After last nights performance can see where your coming from, but the EL is next season, lets Judge Jose after Levy backs him in the summer transfer window! :levylol::mourfacepalm:
You're right. Jack colback on loan might make all the difference. & if parrott is ready, it will be like a new signing.

The only way NOT being in Europa is beneficial to us is if we can win the league. It's highly unlikely we're going to win the league next season so being in the Europa will give us two chances at getting in the UCL the following season instead of 1.

This "fuck Europa let's focus on the league mentality" is bullshit. Putting all your eggs in one basket in football very rarely works. We should want to be in as many competitions as possible competing for as many trophies as possible.

To Dare is to Do.

Not "We shouldn't Dare to Do more than one competition because we'll get tired"

Particularly as every other bloody club seems capable of doing it without absolutely collapsing

Mou won it with a poor United side and got them in the CL that way before I'd take it we have the depth now especially if we get another actual striker in to be playing two different sides on Thursday then Sunday.

Also any Europe is better then no Europe

You can say that again! :mourthumb:
Ha. Now that I have thought about it a bit more, there is an argument that it would be easier to win the Europa than get top 4 next season. So in that regard you could prioritise the europa & sacrifice top 4 rather than the other way around. But who knows?!

For the record, I'd obviously rather get a CL spot via winning the europa rather than top 4. But I guess that's 1 thing we can all agree on.

Ha. Now that I have thought about it a bit more, there is an argument that it would be easier to win the Europa than get top 4 next season. So in that regard you could prioritise the europa & sacrifice top 4 rather than the other way around. But who knows?!

For the record, I'd obviously rather get a CL spot via winning the europa rather than top 4. But I guess that's 1 thing we can all agree on.
Yeah the only thing with that approach is its all or nothing once you get to the final if your out of the top 4 for CL qualification, the way things stand i would say Pool, City, Chelsea and united look a lot stronger then us, i would put us around the same level as Wolves and Leicester, we have really dropped out of the pace, and im worried its going to take a lot of cash and more than 1 window to fix it, and will Levy back Jose and get his targets in?
This window is really make or break for this team!

This club needs to be playing in Europe, I cringe when I see people say they would be happy without European football. Small club mentality.

The more competitions you are in, the more trophies you can win. Do you think Real Madrid fans would prefer not to play the UEFA Super Cup? Or would they rather put another trophy in the cabinet, even if it's a lesser one?

Europa is another route to the CL and a nice trophy in it's own right. Fans who would be happy to only have 3 chances to win silverware instead of 4, are mad.

TBH I don't care whether we're in it or not. After last night's debacle I've decided to downgrade my STs (I have two) from Gold to Silver and not waste my time and money on a whole bunch of cup matches that we'll try to lose by fielding weak teams as usual. I've also decided to bin BT Sport when my BT broadband contract is up in September and save another £200 or so. It's just not worth the extra cash to chase more ticketing points (I'm in the top few thousand) to guarantee theoretical cup final tickets that probably won't happen for the next few years at least.

I think wanting Europa is a no brainer, it would be good for us.

Top 4 will be tough next year so Europa offers us a better chance of getting back to CL.

We should be making some changes to our and have young guys that need opportunities to play, Europa League gives us an opportunity to get them minutes in games that matter and for us to see what we have with a club that is (hopefully) developing.

We want to win trophies and this in another opportunity to win. Yes there will be good teams, and yes we looked like garbage, but there is no reason that we can't win it. I would think we would be at worst in the top 5 of teams competing for the trophy.

A trophy is a trophy I guess and it's not that long ago when reaching the Europa league was cause for big celebration..

For me personally, I hate it when we have so many Sunday games, it takes the fun away and generally the atmosphere is poor.
Saturdays were made for Footbal, Sunday's were made to spend time with your family..

If we get the europa we will be in the qualifiers, given the later start date to the season i think i read somewhere that would mean playing Thursday and Sunday every week from September to Christmas. Its a no from me, especially in the current situation. Do we really want to fly every other week to Belarus and Ukraine to play in an empty stadium in the middle of a pandemic?

If we get the europa we will be in the qualifiers, given the later start date to the season i think i read somewhere that would mean playing Thursday and Sunday every week from September to Christmas. Its a no from me, especially in the current situation. Do we really want to fly every other week to Belarus and Ukraine to play in an empty stadium in the middle of a pandemic?

Based on previous tournaments the chance we will be flying to Belarus and Ukraine ever other week is zero. Why do folks who are against this always overrate how much travelling there is? The vast majority of the teams in this tournament are relatively close. Almost all the teams that are far away are gone after the group stage. The most likely scenario is that we have one, maybe two games in a "far" away location and the rest of our games in France, Spain, Germany, Italy and one other west or central European country.

Back
Top Bottom