Now that the CL is gone, is it better for us to miss out on the EL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now that the CL is gone. Do you want us to qualify for the Europa League?

• Yes, Europa league is worth qualifying for and trying to win

Votes: 66 62.9%
  • No, Europa league will hinder our chances of getting back into the Top 4

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Don't care as long as we finish above Woolwich this season

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters
tenor.gif

It would probably mean our league form would improve, but it would also reduce our income and attractiveness for new players. Hard to say. As a fan I think even if the EL is a pain in the ass at least it means more Spurs games to watch.

The reason is that we don't have enough quality players to make us win when we need to rest Kane etc. We could get through the first few games but the more success the more games. Our best players get injured and everything goes to pot.
We need a season to rebuild and find some reasonably priced players and improve them.
Most of the people we look to buy were available for peanuts 12 months earlier.
Maybe we should buy them now and lend them to Lille rather than pay inflated prices 12 months on.
Exactly. A long run in the europa basically kills off our tiny hope of top 4 next season.

Yeah - let’s miss out in a chance to win Europe’s second most prestigious trophy...

This is the kind of mediocre mentality ENIC wants so they can justify their ongoing failure
I think ENICs mediocre mentality is real & has worked on me. Id settle for 8th this season & top 6 next. You are right, we should all want to be in europa. But ENIC have made us so bad that I don't have any hope in us winning it. But we shouldn't deliberately try to not qualify. More a case of do our best & see where we end up.
If we do qualify, then we can look forward to the 'play the kids in the group stages or not' debate :pochlol:

Genuinely shocked by the poll results.

We struggle for depth enough without playing 17 extra matches and travelling all around Europe.

Absolute blessing in disguise not getting it. Bring on the normal Saturday kick-offs.

I really fancy our chances of a league or fa cup next season without it, as I do think Jose will take them both very seriously.

And yes Jose would take Europa seriously too, but if we try and take everything seriously we'll do "OK" in everything. I'd rather do amazing in one thing and win it. It's nice to imagine we can go full force in every competition but Europa really takes its toll over the course of a season. And even going all out for Europa obviously doesn't guarantee any success with it.

Whilst I'd love to see us win something, Europa in my view is the LEAST exciting of all. It is literally a competition for the second-rate teams. Winning the FA Cup would be far better in my view, and can be done in far less matches with far less disruption to the team.

Yes, I believe top players are influenced by whether a team has Champions league football, but I do not believe having Europa is make or break at all. Money is. No top player is influenced by playing Qarabag over 2 legs on a Thursday.

Getting in Europa would put us back in the europa league cycle every season. Let's do what Chelsea did instead, have a season out of Europe and focus on the domestic tournaments. I honestly believe we have a much better chance of getting top 4 that way and/or winning a trophy.

I also believe if we have a disastrous end to the season and finish 9th/10th it'll hit ENIC where it hurts. I believe they want to sell us for a big pay out eventually, and being outside of Europe massively hurts the possibility of that. This might actually force them to do something to improve the team. Getting Europa will paper over the cracks. If we don't get Europa, and Mourinho's had time with the team and still can't do anything with it, ENIC will have to accept they either need to invest in the team, or that they're not going to get their big pay out.
This is a really good post to be fair.
Although I'm inclined to want us to be in Europe, even if it is the Europa, you raise a lot of good points against it which are pretty difficult to argue against.
I particularly agree with your point that potential new signings are not attracted by this competition. Certainly not the type of player a club of our wealth and stature should be attracting.
Like I say. Good points.
You should post more often, mate.

No way should we lose out on the EL.

To want to avoid a competition is loser mentality rearing its ugly head.

Use the EL to rebuild the team, bed in youth, give minutes to bench players, make them prove that they can be relied on in the league.

We should NEVER want the team to not qualify for a competition. It's enough that the players have a weak mentality. We'll never get rid of it we shy away from chances to win trophies.

Notwithstanding the fact a few of these probably won’t be at the club next year. And feel free to change any of them around but by way of example we could trot out the below line up for the 6 games of the Europa if we’re determined not to let it interfere with our league campaign:
De Bie
KWP Tanganga Foyth Sessegnon
Skipp White
Clarke Roles Gedson
Parrott

I’m not advocating doing so but for those who are anti-EL you would be hard pressed to advocate against given our u23s a run out. Not to mention fringe first teamers

Re-cap for the hard of thinking, extreeeeeemly comical weasel brigade:

Do you hold ENIC in general, and Levy in particular, at least partially responsible for this dramatic downfall?

Of course they play a part; they run the club....

(Apparently my answer is too complex for some tiny minds..... A kinder soul than I would be embarrassed for them.)

55/91

Believe the Europa league is worth qualifying for. I can’t believe how short people’s memories are. I desperately want @rsenal to quality on a regular basis!

Missing out on the CL financially is a blow the Europa would be some way compensation but missing out in the CL would that affect our prospects of attracting better players or is that a myth.

Before they made Europa league champions get a spot in the champions league (silly it took them that long, as if third place in the french league is somehow a superior achievement to winning a pan european cup) it honestly didn't make much sense. There's really not a lot of money in it and players didn't seem to care much about it, so it didn't help that much with attracting talent.

Now players do care about it somewhat, and it is another chance at making it into the champs league. No brainers really.

My retort didn't allude to ENIC other than to say that they play a part in our ups and downs; yet you come back with that fantastical drivel???

Really? :roll: ...That's you in a nutshell.

Meanwhile back in the real world: your replies(s) simply re-affirm you're unwilling/incapable of engaging with people on the basis of what they actually type and opt to simply peddle false-narrative or childishly poke others with 'sticks' and instead.
Why use 1 word when 3 fills the page !
Genuinely shocked by the poll results.

We struggle for depth enough without playing 17 extra matches and travelling all around Europe.

Absolute blessing in disguise not getting it. Bring on the normal Saturday kick-offs.

I really fancy our chances of a league or fa cup next season without it, as I do think Jose will take them both very seriously.

And yes Jose would take Europa seriously too, but if we try and take everything seriously we'll do "OK" in everything. I'd rather do amazing in one thing and win it. It's nice to imagine we can go full force in every competition but Europa really takes its toll over the course of a season. And even going all out for Europa obviously doesn't guarantee any success with it.

Whilst I'd love to see us win something, Europa in my view is the LEAST exciting of all. It is literally a competition for the second-rate teams. Winning the FA Cup would be far better in my view, and can be done in far less matches with far less disruption to the team.

Yes, I believe top players are influenced by whether a team has Champions league football, but I do not believe having Europa is make or break at all. Money is. No top player is influenced by playing Qarabag over 2 legs on a Thursday.

Getting in Europa would put us back in the europa league cycle every season. Let's do what Chelsea did instead, have a season out of Europe and focus on the domestic tournaments. I honestly believe we have a much better chance of getting top 4 that way and/or winning a trophy.

I also believe if we have a disastrous end to the season and finish 9th/10th it'll hit ENIC where it hurts. I believe they want to sell us for a big pay out eventually, and being outside of Europe massively hurts the possibility of that. This might actually force them to do something to improve the team. Getting Europa will paper over the cracks. If we don't get Europa, and Mourinho's had time with the team and still can't do anything with it, ENIC will have to accept they either need to invest in the team, or that they're not going to get their big pay out.
Amen !
I couldn't have put it better. Shorter but not better !

I think Spurs finishing high enough for an EL place is looking a bit of stretch right now.
Badly need a result against Everton in Monday to at least lift the gloomy atmosphere a bit.

Back
Top Bottom