Now that the CL is gone, is it better for us to miss out on the EL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now that the CL is gone. Do you want us to qualify for the Europa League?

• Yes, Europa league is worth qualifying for and trying to win

Votes: 66 62.9%
  • No, Europa league will hinder our chances of getting back into the Top 4

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Don't care as long as we finish above Woolwich this season

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters
Apologies if it's already been covered but am I right in thinking 8th would qualify for Europa League on basis of the City ban being upheld, City winning the League Cup, and the FA cup being won by a side already in top 7? I figure it does.

Apologies if it's already been covered but am I right in thinking 8th would qualify for Europa League on basis of the City ban being upheld, City winning the League Cup, and the FA cup being won by a side already in top 7? I figure it does.
I don’t think City’s ban would be upheld though

I think we have to be in the Europa League. We need to be for our coefficient as much as it being another trophy to win.

I haven’t always been a fan of it, it’s pretty shit but being in it is better than being out of it. Champions league is gone now, the manager needs to motivate the players for something. It might as well be European competition. I bet the players would rather play in it than not.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Levy wants EL.

In the current global climate he has limited income. No fans in stadia, no NFL, no concerts.

Whether you play the kids or the 1st team the EL generates some revenue from TV. Yes it's pocket change compared to CL but its income nonetheless. If fans are allowed back then it adds a bit more revenue for the few thousand that turn up (the ground will not be full - hell it wasn't even full for our group stage matches in the CL this year).

Levy can't afford to turn down this income. Whether it gets put back into the transfer kitty is a different question, but at least if we are in the EL we have the option to spend some money on transfers.

Added to the coefficient we would lose.
By playing the kids it gives them experience if we decide to go that way.

Surely we should be looking to qualify for the EL regardless, and we can make decisions whether to play kids or 1st team as and when matches come around and depending on the fixture schedule / travel impact.

Also I get to go on holiday and watch Spurs in Europe. After this Lockdown I'll take a holiday even if it is in Kazakhstan during a global pandemic!!!

The Europa is another fuck knows 10 games minimum we get to play without any reward at the end, besides our poor tired little players might do well to have only 1 game a week for most of the season....so finishing outside those places might be a blessing in disguise... but then again a blessing to do what?

You can bet your bottom dollar that Levy wants EL.

In the current global climate he has limited income. No fans in stadia, no NFL, no concerts.

Whether you play the kids or the 1st team the EL generates some revenue from TV. Yes it's pocket change compared to CL but its income nonetheless. If fans are allowed back then it adds a bit more revenue for the few thousand that turn up (the ground will not be full - hell it wasn't even full for our group stage matches in the CL this year).

Levy can't afford to turn down this income. Whether it gets put back into the transfer kitty is a different question, but at least if we are in the EL we have the option to spend some money on transfers.

Added to the coefficient we would lose.
By playing the kids it gives them experience if we decide to go that way.

Surely we should be looking to qualify for the EL regardless, and we can make decisions whether to play kids or 1st team as and when matches come around and depending on the fixture schedule / travel impact.

Also I get to go on holiday and watch Spurs in Europe. After this Lockdown I'll take a holiday even if it is in Kazakhstan during a global pandemic!!!

Woolwich looking good to win the FA Cup, as predicted. A man up and a goal up with about 10 minutes to go.

Is that an extra 6 games onto our schedule now against glorified pub teams in the preliminary rounds of this Mickey Mouse Cup?

Woolwich looking good to win the FA Cup, as predicted. A man up and a goal up with about 10 minutes to go.

Is that an extra 6 games onto our schedule now against glorified pub teams in the preliminary rounds of this Mickey Mouse Cup?
I think it's just one qualifier game.

Just 3 games. Probably 1 or 2 against Mickey Mouse teams, and then someone half-decent we'll still be favourites against. The thing is it's after the season starts and obviously could be some very long trips. I don't want any excuses from Jose though. We were only 3 points off 5th when he was appointed, and we were still in the FA Cup. He is responsible for this situation, and he is responsible for getting through it without dropping league points.

Just 3 games. Probably 1 or 2 against Mickey Mouse teams, and then someone half-decent we'll still be favourites against. The thing is it's after the season starts and obviously could be some very long trips. I don't want any excuses from Jose though. We were only 3 points off 5th when he was appointed, and we were still in the FA Cup. He is responsible for this situation, and he is responsible for getting through it without dropping league points.
Just checked, it's just a one off tie on September 17...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...wich-wolves-qualify-group-stage-a4514246.html

Be interesting if we have any injuries at the start of the season to see what Jose does. He could easily fuck off the EL and blame Levy for not strengthening the squad.

Be interesting if we have any injuries at the start of the season to see what Jose does. He could easily fuck off the EL and blame Levy for not strengthening the squad.

I think he'll go for it.

He must realize that top 4 is out of the question so the only chance he has of saving his job/reputation is winning a trophy.

EL will be by far the best chance we have of winning a trophy so I think he goes hard for it.

Or he could blame himself for not being able to beat the likes of Norwich, Crystal Palace and Bournemouth to win the cup or finish higher up the league! In all seriousness though I don't think he will. Even a somewhat rotated side should win through qualifying and GS, and it's a trophy we can't afford to pass up

Take a look to Atletico Madrid: they started with winning multiple EL trophies. Thanks to those they started to build up a winning mentality and a great european culture, which made an incredible rule in the Liga title and the two UCL finals they played.

EL must be played at our best.

They're all one-off ties. But we enter at the Second Qualifying Round. If we win that, there's still the Third Qualifying Round and the Playoff before the Group Stage starts.
Yeah, you're right, we'll be up against the likes of Motherwell and Shamrock Rovers and the list of teams in the next round are this lot...

Yeah, you're right, we'll be up against the likes of Motherwell and Shamrock Rovers and the list of teams in the next round are this lot...

it's our level tbf. even they could give us a game

Back
Top Bottom