Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
A shambles football club under a chairman I no longer want to fund. No doubt he won’t back Nuno with proper funds anyway the parasite. Very underwhelming appointment, but better than Gattuso and Fonseca for me. Doesn’t mean much when you are choosing the best underwhelming manager of the pick, but who else are we getting ? Levy is a cunt. Nuno will get my backing if he is indeed the new spurs manager.

Few bad results start of the season and poor football it will be carnage.

Given the current mood, that would apply to absolutely anyone we appoint.

I tried to fool myself that it might work out with Mourinho even though i knew it wouldn't. Can't be arsed pretending again.

Fair enough. I wanted to believe in Mourinho too, but it was never meant to be.

Nuno seems to be divisive, in a strange way. With Mourinho it was the case that everyone knew the football would be shite, it was just a question of whether or not it would be worth it to win something.

With Nuno there doesnt even seem to be agreement on the football. So many just calling him Mourinho MKII, negative, boring, defensive.... And honestly I just dont get where thats coming from.

Ive never been the greatest follower of Wolves, but whenever Ive seen them they havent been like that at all. They give teams a good game, had good results against top sides, hard to break down and dynamic in attack, using the full width of the field and stretching teams...

I mean, its not like Im excited about it if it is Nuno, but Im not totally against either. Underwhelmed but, curious? I suppose?

As football.london reported last week, Levy was left undecided on the appointment of Espirito Santo, with the Portuguese seen by some as having similar counter-attacking football to Mourinho and not fitting the profile the chairman had publicly declared to the supporters.

However, it is testament to the growing power within Tottenham of Paratici - who arrived in the UK this week - that he was able to convince his new chairman that Espirito Santo - popular among his players and a man who takes a strong charge of his squads - would be the perfect fit to galvanise the club.

football.london understands that during discussions Paratici showed Levy the way Espirito Santo's entertaining Valencia side played, more often with a 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 than the back three he became known for at Wolves.
It is understood that during talks it was made clear by both Paratici and Espirito Santo that the football the Portuguese would bring to Tottenham would tick the attacking, entertaining boxes Levy had called for while also, at the same time, being strong at the back.

Espirito Santo has shown a willingness to adapt to the personnel he has and clubs he has worked at in his career and this is believed to be the case once again at Tottenham.

His desire to work with young players and help develop Tottenham's talents in their academy was also believed to be a plus for the club during talks.

The Portuguese is expected to be announced before this weekend with a view to being ready to start work on Monday when the non-international players return to Hotspur Way for pre-season training.

The absolute shambles of this is the word "remains".

Not a complicated decision either way. Who the fuck is in charge here?

Utter, utter disgrace. No longer a functioning operation, full stop.
Maybe the story is just bollocks? People are falling for it every time as well!

Monday - Spurs are linked to Ronald Mcdonald as manager
Tuesday - Deal reached between both parties likely to sign next few days
Thursday- Ronald Mcdonald isn't happy with the transfer budget proposed by levy and levy wants discount big macs to sell at the ground.
Friday - Deal has fallen through down to the above

Rinse and fucking repeat!!!!! And people are falling for it all the time!

Not sure, if we had a manager who tried to play decent entertaining football most match day fans would be a lot happier. See Jol, Redknapp, Poch etc, a Potter or even a Eddie Howe, maybe we get mixed results but we play decent football, bring in some of our youth players.

Getting mixed results but playing Jose ball the stadium will turn toxic very quickly.

Not sure, if we had a manager who tried to play decent entertaining football most match day fans would be a lot happier. See Jol, Redknapp, Poch etc, a Potter or even a Eddie Howe, maybe we get mixed results but we play decent football, bring in some of our youth players.

Getting mixed results but playing Jose ball the stadium will turn toxic very quickly.

I think the mood is so low now, theres no one the fans would galvanise around straight away, and there is inevitably going to be high scrutiny on any appointment over the begining of the season.

Nuno already getting written off, the football.london article says he understands and intends to bring attacking football (for whatever thats worth) - will he be given the chance to prove it? Doesnt look that way to me.

Unless he can instantly get a run of really positive performances (if not results) I think he'll be under immense, and unfair, pressure right away

I think the mood is so low now, theres no one the fans would galvanise around straight away, and there is inevitably going to be high scrutiny on any appointment over the begining of the season.

Nuno already getting written off, the football.london article says he understands and intends to bring attacking football (for whatever thats worth) - will he be given the chance to prove it? Doesnt look that way to me.

Unless he can instantly get a run of really positive performances (if not results) I think he'll be under immense, and unfair, pressure right away

If he tries to play a positive way even if the results don’t go well I will support him. If we get Joseball I will just switch off.

Nuno seems to be divisive, in a strange way. With Mourinho it was the case that everyone knew the football would be shite, it was just a question of whether or not it would be worth it to win something.

With Nuno there doesnt even seem to be agreement on the football. So many just calling him Mourinho MKII, negative, boring, defensive.... And honestly I just dont get where thats coming from.

Ive never been the greatest follower of Wolves, but whenever Ive seen them they havent been like that at all. They give teams a good game, had good results against top sides, hard to break down and dynamic in attack, using the full width of the field and stretching teams...

I mean, its not like Im excited about it if it is Nuno, but Im not totally against either. Underwhelmed but, curious? I suppose?

I'm a wolves fan and can confirm that since we lost to Watford at Wembley, the football has been turgid, dire, boring.

Only one game plan. 10 men behind the ball, and when we have the ball give it to Adama.

Nuno insisted on a small squad because he's a poor man manager (see Aboubakar / Marega at Porto, what happened at Valencia, Cutrone, MGW at Wolves) and can't handle it when we got injuries.

Set pieces - rather than swing the ball in to 6'5" Willy Boly, we relentlessly played short corners and didn't beat the first man with the resultant cross, so didn't even commit bodies forward for set pieces. This didn't change. We had zero attacking threat from set pieces.
Burnley took 3 players out of the box to mark the short corners option. Yes they triple marked him. We still played the short corner.

The worst part? He'd select the same players week in week out, same formation week in week out, same short corners week in week out, then he'd talk about the need to find solutions in every single press conference. He never changed anything.

Breaking down teams that were better than us? Yeah we did that to good effect, but look at results against teams that weren't actively trying to beat us and sat back.

From 2019/20 - 2020/21 end.
West Brom - 1D 1L
Burnley - 2D 2L
Palace - 2W 1D 1L
Newcastle - 4D
Southampton - 2W 2D
Brighton - 1W 3D - win was due to a red card.
Chorley - 1-0 win in cup but they absolutely battered us.

The poor results were purely tactical, in quite a few of these games we got lucky - Southampton smacked us in those wins but VAR helped us.
Brighton, were all over us until a silly red card, even then we didn't push for a winner against their 10 men.
Newcastle - late goals to salvage points but he was consistently tactically outclassed by Steve Bruce, even when he was at villa.

Results against these types of team define Spurs' season, they're not relegation 6 pointers, these are expected wins. Teams sit back, drop points against Burnley and you pray the same happens to the teams around you.

10 years we waited for revenge against West Brom. Local rivalry. Last time we played they smacked us and started the spiral that ended with us in league 1. This time it's their worst squad in decades and our best squad, full of internationals and seasoned players.

Nuno didn't even get them fired up. It was absolutely pathetic. Cowardly performance, sit back and watch big Sam dick us with a long ball bombardment.

You can't have ever watched us for 90 minutes against a non top-6 team, because we were just awful.

I'm a wolves fan and can confirm that since we lost to Watford at Wembley, the football has been turgid, dire, boring.

Only one game plan. 10 men behind the ball, and when we have the ball give it to Adama.

Nuno insisted on a small squad because he's a poor man manager (see Aboubakar / Marega at Porto, what happened at Valencia, Cutrone, MGW at Wolves) and can't handle it when we got injuries.

Set pieces - rather than swing the ball in to 6'5" Willy Boly, we relentlessly played short corners and didn't beat the first man with the resultant cross, so didn't even commit bodies forward for set pieces. This didn't change. We had zero attacking threat from set pieces.
Burnley took 3 players out of the box to mark the short corners option. Yes they triple marked him. We still played the short corner.

The worst part? He'd select the same players week in week out, same formation week in week out, same short corners week in week out, then he'd talk about the need to find solutions in every single press conference. He never changed anything.

Breaking down teams that were better than us? Yeah we did that to good effect, but look at results against teams that weren't actively trying to beat us and sat back.

From 2019/20 - 2020/21 end.
West Brom - 1D 1L
Burnley - 2D 2L
Palace - 2W 1D 1L
Newcastle - 4D
Southampton - 2W 2D
Brighton - 1W 3D - win was due to a red card.
Chorley - 1-0 win in cup but they absolutely battered us.

The poor results were purely tactical, in quite a few of these games we got lucky - Southampton smacked us in those wins but VAR helped us.
Brighton, were all over us until a silly red card, even then we didn't push for a winner against their 10 men.
Newcastle - late goals to salvage points but he was consistently tactically outclassed by Steve Bruce, even when he was at villa.

Results against these types of team define Spurs' season, they're not relegation 6 pointers, these are expected wins. Teams sit back, drop points against Burnley and you pray the same happens to the teams around you.

10 years we waited for revenge against West Brom. Local rivalry. Last time we played they smacked us and started the spiral that ended with us in league 1. This time it's their worst squad in decades and our best squad, full of internationals and seasoned players.

Nuno didn't even get them fired up. It was absolutely pathetic. Cowardly performance, sit back and watch big Sam dick us with a long ball bombardment.

You can't have ever watched us for 90 minutes against a non top-6 team, because we were just awful.

Thanks.

Are you talking his entire tenure? Or more specifically last season?

Seems to me things went really well for a while, and then tailed off - would that be fair to say?

And if so - play devils advocate - what could we expect if we saw the best of Nuno?

Get him in, get stabalised, over haul the squad, see where we are in two years?

I mean we obviously hope he is a roaring success, but if not hopefully the club is in a much better place when he goes than now...
If we are in a much better place then he has been a roaring success and we want him to stay surely

If we are in a much better place then he has been a roaring success and we want him to stay surely

Depends really.

General consensus here is that everything is absolutely shit, we need a full rebuild and all that.

Could be by the time he goes (if he arrives, of course) he has over seen that rebuild, established a decent platform for a new manager to build on, brought through some youth - and yet not really delivered success/run his course

I'm apologising for quoting you again but I'll address the dynamic in attack remark.

We set up to defend first and foremost. We employed some of the most well renowned experts in physical recovery and rehab within our medical department.

We played to that strength, that we were fitter for longer, for the entire 3 seasons in the premier League. It worked well in the first season, we'd grab a load of late goals and win games at the death after defending solidly for 85 minutes.

Second season, fitness started to fade so ideally we'd change that right? Wrong.

Bare in mind at this point we have been poor in the first half for over 2 seasons in a row, and in every press conference he has committed to finding solutions, Nuno is still confused as to why:

Last season we equalled the record set by the 06/07 Derby side. We failed to score in the first half of 29/38 games.

That isn't dynamic in attack.

Fair enough, as I say Im no expert on Wolves - only relying on the odd games I see.

And in fairness, this whole defense at all cost thing just never struck me with them. The counter attacking I see, but always felt you were a very dangerous side, able to carve teams open and really stretch them.

Back
Top Bottom