Obika

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

there's a defence of Obika being shit that goes along the lines of:

a) he's never really played at this level before because he's a tad young
b) he's still progressing, let him develop in to a decent striker

just to put this in to perspective, look at those in the squad around his age as reassess - the conclusion being simple:
he isn't good enough and never will be - sell him to Yeovil, he's played for them more than he's ever going to play for us already anyway.

Obika, J = 12/09/1990

Carroll, T = 28/05/1992 - 1year, 8months and 16days older

Bale, G = 19/07/1989 - 1year, 1month and 27days younger

Sigurdsson, G = 08/09/1989 - 1year and 4days younger

Caulker, S = 29/12/91 - 1year, 3months and 17days older

ps. fuck WindyCOYS WindyCOYS , I can drop fire about the kids too.

I personally think we should be giving young players 10 or so minutes in games where we are a couple of goals up, just so they have some experience at that level, if not loan them out and see what they can do.

Haven't seen him play enough. He didn't impress me today. But then the senior players around him played like shit so he didn't get much service.

I would go along the lines of embarrassing, the only striker we can bring on is Obika. I fucking hope AVB is playing mind games with the press that we don't need anyone.

We all want the academy players to do well... in our nature... home grown and all that.

I thought that Obika did ok yesterday... didn't look too out of his depth, but did take far too long on the ball for his one on one and have that shot blocked. Should have scored that all day long given his experience... don't need to be a premiership level player to instinctively hit that in the back of the net.

Sadly he his getting on a bit. He could well be late developer, but it seems a bit like Simon Dawkins... you wonder why he hasn't been sold?

Either the coaches still really see something in him or it is something to with £££s, perhaps hoping when they hit a certain age he'll command a few ££s in transfer fee rather than just releasing him on a free, or something... I don't know.

If he had have scored that goal and we had gone on to win, we may not have been having this conversation now. I know it is hindsight, but for a brief while (until he started playing regulalry) Danny Rose was the future and could do no wrong.

Apologies Román Dylan Román Dylan , but I think your opening post is nonsense.

What the hell is the point in having a youth system if we don't try out the products of it? You can't judge whether or not a player is PL capable based on 20 mins of a cup tie. To suggest otherwise is silly stuff. How many other first team appearances has he had? Makes me laugh that some fans lately have been bemoaning the fact that we've had no new Ledley Kings coming through our youth system, or haven't bought any new Gareth Bales. I wonder whether there's any point if we get on their backs after 20 minutes in the first team?

Listing names and ages discounts the reality that some people come good at different ages, not just in football but in all walks of life. By your logic we should also get rid of Alex Pritchard, who is said to be highly rated, because he's already twenty this year and by that age Gareth Bale was already a first teamer.

Frankly, if you want to point fingers, do it at "sun shines out of his arse" Levy. He is the one who lead us to put on Obika yesterday. To make Obika the scapegoat (and lets face it, that's what you're doing - we didn't see this thread any other time) despite an all round shit performance is unfair. It's twice as unfair when you add to that the fact that our chairman knew from the start of the season that January could see Ade go to the ACN, and that meant no first team strikers if Defoe goy injured. That is an absolutely laughable situation to be in. The ultimately responsible is the man where the buck stops, and that's Levy. I refuse to believe that a manager trained the way AVB is would be happy fielding a team with no strikers and then being told he has to win trophies and get us into the CL.

Obika is not the fall guy. Just because he's 22 doesn't mean he doesn't have some good years ahead of him. How can he ever show it if 20 minutes after he gets a chance everyone calls for him to be sold?

No, the real reason we lost today is because Levy, once again, is not backing his manager. Here we have yet another window with glaring gaps in the squad and we're are playing the usual game of waiting to deadline day to bring in a world class player for £7.50. Levy may be great at running things financially, but it's clear now that for the past few successive seasons we have tailed off because profit is more important to him and ENIC than taking risks here and there to push us that bit further.Hell, if you want to know what they are about you only have to look at our awful thrid kit this year, which hasn't sold well so, surprise, surprise, the order comes from above that we have to wear it loads of times to drum up sales.

I fear, sadly, we have reached our limited with them as no credible side can expect to be a CL regular while expecting to qualify with either no strikers or silly back ups like Louis Saha.

AVB? Harry? Hell, Jose Mourinho? Doesn't matter. Levy is still there throughout and we still see the same problems year after year. It's time to stop blaming managers and players and start taking a more objective and critical look at Levy & ENIC. They are responsible for the holes in our squad and it's about time we, as fans, had a discussion about the pros and cons of their leadership instead of either defaulting to position of the sun shining out of Levy's backside (or conversely, him being 100% devil) and targetting players and managers instead.

Rant over. Yeah, too long, didn't read and all that....

Apologies Román Dylan Román Dylan , but I think your opening post is nonsense.

What the hell is the point in having a youth system if we don't try out the products of it? You can't judge whether or not a player is PL capable based on 20 mins of a cup tie.

You can when you see that he's never had a great goal return. Last year for example at league 1 Yeovil he only got 4 in 24. Lots of people didn't like Pav but he had a far better goal return (not saying Pav is our saviour just an example). The fact is he's not getting to the point where he's too old to be scoring so few goals in league 1. I wish I was wrong but he was invisible for most of his time against Championship opposition.

You can when you see that he's never had a great goal return. Last year for example at league 1 Yeovil he only got 4 in 24. Lots of people didn't like Pav but he had a far better goal return (not saying Pav is our saviour just an example). The fact is he's not getting to the point where he's too old to be scoring so few goals in league 1. I wish I was wrong but he was invisible for most of his time against Championship opposition.
Defoe scored four league goals a couple seasons back. Is he shit too?

there's a defence of Obika being shit that goes along the lines of:

a) he's never really played at this level before because he's a tad young
b) he's still progressing, let him develop in to a decent striker

just to put this in to perspective, look at those in the squad around his age as reassess - the conclusion being simple:
he isn't good enough and never will be - sell him to Yeovil, he's played for them more than he's ever going to play for us already anyway.

Obika, J = 12/09/1990

Carroll, T = 28/05/1992 - 1year, 8months and 16days older

Bale, G = 19/07/1989 - 1year, 1month and 27days younger

Sigurdsson, G = 08/09/1989 - 1year and 4days younger

Caulker, S = 29/12/91 - 1year, 3months and 17days older

ps. fuck WindyCOYS WindyCOYS , I can drop fire about the kids too.

Agree with everything you've said. Sure he's being kept around for U21 purposes only (i.e. we need a striker in that team while Coulibaly and Coulthirst develop).

Lovely lad (I've interviewed him), but not good enough long term, and I'm sure he'll move on in the summer.

I personally think we should be giving young players 10 or so minutes in games where we are a couple of goals up, just so they have some experience at that level, if not loan them out and see what they can do.

Thing is, we've been loaning obika out now for what seems like 10 years!! Are we SURE he's only 23 and not pulling an Obafemi Martins on us all???

Back
Top Bottom