Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fp55DmJXoAcl7cY

Norwich fan here:

Point 1: Thanks for alerting to Sky Bet 20/1 for him to make World Cup Squad. If he stays injury free and continues on current path, he's a shoe in. Cracking value bet (shame it's max bet £20).

Point 2: You have an absolute gem of a player. Alot of the plaudits to our campaign went to Emi Buendia, and as much as they were deserved, for a lot of more trained eyes, it was Olly Skipp that won the title for us.

His reading of the game considering his lack of experience was second to none. He has that extra yard of pace to chase the player that defensive mids/blockers often lack. He can pick a vertical pass, something Farke has really coached well into him and I have no doubt he'll be a first-team regular for you this year. He's also exactly the type of player that England currently miss. A player that can break-up play, control the game, and crucially play an incisive pass to the play-maker (Buendia, Grealish, Foden, etc.) rather than a side-ways pass.

At Norwich we've been lucky to watch a host of young players make their name recently (Buendia, Godfrey, Aarons, Cantwell, Skipp etc.). He's a top player and you're lucky to have him. Jump on those skybet odds whilst you still can.

p.s for avoidance of doubt, he's lightyears ahead of Winks already. He's stronger, reads the game better, and controls the pitch better. No comparison.

Skipp kept on fighting and trying to instil some energy into our game, even when we were 3-0 down. His through ball to Perisic for Kane's goal showed he's technically good enough to spot a pass and deliver it quickly.

He's the least of our worries.

Great to see Skipp given the chance to start in a big match, thoroughly deserved it after his performance for us all last year.

I watched him in isolation to the match as a whole to see how he would fair. He had a difficult, waist-height ball to control in the early minutes of the game which led to him losing possession with his first real involvement which made him nervous early doors and almost led to him conceding a penalty against Grealish. He then made a good tackle in the penalty area to deny Sterling and was unlucky to concede the corner in the process. More importantly though this second act gave him confidence and settled him down.

There was the odd occasion when he was a bit too eager and got beaten by Sterling/Grealish in the first half too easily but this is understandable for two main reasons; he's likely nervous playing his first big game in front of a big crowd and secondly he's playing against two elite players.

After this though, he began to calm down and for someone so young has excellent positional awareness already (something Farke would have improved him/built up on), especially in transitional periods, e.g. counter or reverse counter attacks.

All things considered, although outshone by the superb Tanganga today, I think he gave a solid performance against tough opposition. He's got this first start out of the way, you'll see more confident starts in the future and against lesser teams, better passing range/vertical transition passes from defence to attack. A good start then for those that got on the 20/1 price for him to make England 2022 WC squad (currently 10/1).

Finally, a special mention for Son on fulfilling the 5/1 nibble I had on you to win today. If I'm honest it was more of a value bet than faith on Spurs to win, but there's no way you should have been priced that high with no KDB/Striker at City and Mendy (defensive liability) and Ake next to each other. Bookies priced that wrong, as I hope they had with Skipp for the England squad. Well done on an excellent win.

Skipp 7.5/10

Last edited:
If ever a player grew into a game this was it - first ten minutes he was just not at the races but from then on he just got better and better - opposite him was Fernandinho no bad player so how did they compare?

Well Fernandinho made more tackles five v two but he was also dispossessed twice to Skipp's once - Skipp was more efficient on the ball, in a game where City had 65% possession not giving it away was important - Skipp with 89% pass success compared to Fern' 78% - and perhaps most telling of all

In the last third of the game Skipp out passed, out tackled, and out ran Fernandinho by a country mile .... that's 20 year old legs versus 36 ...

Skipp will have come away from today on cloud nine knowing he's arrived at the big table.

he has had a good season playing against men, if we don't need HG player to keep up levels maybe worth us getting him on longer term contract and letting stay at norwich in EPL next season,

We absolutely do need HG players

But talking on a purely football level, Oliver Skipp has had a staggeringly successful season at Norwich helping them to the top of the Championship table, playing (with the likes of Max Aarons) the most games as a first team player for Norwich.

Playing a major role as a 19/20 year old player to take a club to that level is absolutely an indication that Skipp is ready to play for Spurs - I can't think of much more stiff a test.

Nobody should expect Oliver Skipp to be playing 30 /40/50 games in his first season at Spurs, he's much more likely to start with the expectation at Spurs to be an alternative to other CM's such as Hojberg making maybe 20 appearances (perhaps 10/15 starts)

But tbh, given he will finish the season at Norwich with maybe 40 starts, I have a feeling that he might just push the Spurs coaches (with his PL performances) to playing him far more than their initial expectation.

As everyone who has seen him play says - he may be 19 or 20 but he plays with the experience of a player aged 30.

Spurs need Skipp next season. Skipp will thrive in PL.

There was a club statement about 3 years ago, from Levy at the end of the season where he outlined our targets and mentioned the stadium etc and plans for the future.
In it he mentioned that we wanted to instill loyalty and longevity into the squad and we would be integrating lots of youth over the years and that was the idea behind the academy.

Ever wondered why Kane is determined to win stuff here, where as others are happier jumping ship.....?

The main problem is too many don’t listen to what the policy is about, or disregard it as being cheap and not caring about the fans or the club.

We had five academy on v Tranmere.
Let’s see how many of them end up playing for us in the PL, compared to the kids at City and Chelsea and Woolwich etc.
Giving Skip our full backing is not caring about the club, but loaning him out to Swansea for 6 years and buying Barkley for 50M is?

I really hope people (our fans) can just start to wholeheartedly embrace Spurs, and take pride in what we’re doing instead of snide remarks all the time and demands.

Sadly I doubt it, because as I hear every single day of the week, “we need to sign better”

Shame

He is some player , I think this is one thing we can actually say Jose got right , would have been easy to keep him here as cover and refuse his loan move and we end up with another KWP situation

I can't wait for the "What does Skipp do?" posts 30 minutes into his first start for us next season.

Wow, getting properly stuck in with perfect timing on an experienced Premier League battle axe like Fernandinho with no hesitance at age 20. Skipp is going to be playing for us for a long time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom