Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Firstly, I think you are confusing shape with approach.
No, I am not. A 4-3-3 has to have the capability to press high. Not for 90 mins, because no team does that, but for sustained periods of time.
Secondly, I don't see why we can't still press for phases (even if it's just a mid press). Especially now we are using some fresher legs.
We mainly make use of positional pressing. There is very little aggressive pressing because we do not have the correct personnel for it/we are woefully short of athleticism.
A bit like Klopp does.
Klopp has a team of fabulous athletes; we do not. You keep overlooking this. Why? We don't know, but it has been speculated that you were a tubby specimen in your playing days, and have ever since resented those who are agile and can run fast.

RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK

Try this:

Scroll down to the converting from 433 to 451 mid/deep block section - which is exactly what I have tried to suggest to you.

XIUteh0.png

This talks briefly about how Mourinho used a 433 at Chelsea early on and variants of it at Inter - none of those were fundamentally high line, high press applications.

This talks about him using the 433 at Utd to give Pogba less responsibility and more freedom - read Ndombele for us where it reads Pogba for Utd:

Again, Utd were never a high press team (certainly not endemically) under Mourinho. he played this format against us at least twice if I remember correctly.

There is absolutely not reason why the likes of Aurier, Davies, Sessegnon, Moura, Bergwijn, Skipp, Lo Celso, Alli can't be made to press - higher or lower and in certain phases - obviously not prolonged. And with quicker CB's like Tanganga and Sanchez to support this.

There is absolutely not reason why the likes of Aurier, Davies, Sessegnon, Moura, Bergwijn, Skipp, Lo Celso, Alli can't be made to press - higher or lower and in certain phases - obviously not prolonged. And with quicker CB's like Tanganga and Sanchez to support this.
Haven't you heard? We are ultra-fatigued (the latest quotes) and a lot of the players you have just named have no pace and/or are lazy/don't know how to press as part of a collective.

Not sure how the kid doesn’t play more for us. Has all the qualities and attributes we are currently lacking and plays with more composure than his age suggests.

This talks about him using the 433 at Utd to give Pogba less responsibility and more freedom - read Ndombele for us where it reads Pogba for Utd:

Again, Utd were never a high press team (certainly not endemically) under Mourinho. he played this format against us at least twice if I remember correctly.

When Mourinho threw in Shaw for Young at left back and asked Lingard to cover for Valencia at right back, Manchester United’s shape, intensity, tempo, and creativity increased tenfold. They actually looked a coherent team, and a threatening one at that. This was when the game shifted in United’s favour.

If Manchester United, who sit second in the Premier League, have learnt anything from this impressive, but unnecessary, comeback against Palace, it is the fact that they need threats from all over the pitch - most noticeably from their full back positions.

Does he have enough about him to do the defensive side of things in that DM position? I don't think he was bad today but if he can do a job retrieving the ball and getting his foot in, he will be an important player. On the ball he seems unfazed. I think we need to see him in more games to see whether he has the nous to protect the defence. Mainly from themselves.
That’s what he’s made his name doing. A tenacious combative CM

the surprise was on his breakthrough just how composed he was with the ball

imo he moves and reacts a heartbeat quicker than winks .... at this level this can be the difference

also has that sharp ping along the deck pass that breaks the lines off to a tee

Last edited:

No ones shocked Other than Jose

I still quite like Jose .... oddly I seem to like him more personality wise right now than anything he’s doing in a football sense

but he seems a bit slow to catch on . We’ve been crying out for someone of his skillset and yet he never got a sniff until his hand was forced

had he never seen skipp play prior and if that’s the brow raising case why didn’t he get someone to dig out some material to study

it’s like he’s lagging a bit

Will you still want us to sign Camavinga?

I’d love Camavinga, I think he’s going to be one of the best 6’s in Europe in a few years time. But he’s only 17, even if by some miracle we could pursued him to choose us over Dortmund and RM (who are both rumoured after him) he’s still very young to be playing every week for a team like us - I’d buy him and leave him at Rennes, or find another French/German loan for him, where he can continue playing most weeks and developing his game.

But Skipp’s here now and is costing us fuck all, let’s give him some games and and see where we are in the summer, he can’t be any worse than the likes of Dier, Sissoko or Winks as a 6. I don’t necessarily think Skipp is going to be the answer to all our problems, but even if he just temporarily gives us a better option than we have, that’s a free (hg) bonus that means we can sell deadwood like Sissoko, maybe even cash in on Winks, put some of that money to buy a proper quality footballing/6 and, if he proves worth keeping in the next few months, keep Skipp around as a better squad option than we have now, as he can play in CM3’s or CM2’s.

I’d love Camavinga, I think he’s going to be one of the best 6’s in Europe in a few years time. But he’s only 17, even if by some miracle we could pursued him to choose us over Dortmund and RM (who are both rumoured after him) he’s still very young to be playing every week for a team like us - I’d buy him and leave him at Rennes, or find another French/German loan for him, where he can continue playing most weeks and developing his game.

But Skipp’s here now and is costing us fuck all, let’s give him some games and and see where we are in the summer, he can’t be any worse than the likes of Dier, Sissoko or Winks as a 6. I don’t necessarily think Skipp is going to be the answer to all our problems, but even if he just temporarily gives us a better option than we have, that’s a free (hg) bonus that means we can sell deadwood like Sissoko, maybe even cash in on Winks, put some of that money to buy a proper quality footballing/6 and, if he proves worth keeping in the next few months, keep Skipp around as a better squad option than we have now, as he can play in CM3’s or CM2’s.
I am very disappointed that Ndombele did not start against Norwich. Why do you think he did not get the nod? I mean, Mourinho has been crying since that Winks is very tired.

I am very disappointed that Ndombele did not start against Norwich. Why do you think he did not get the nod? I mean, Mourinho has been crying since that Winks is very tired.

I was equally disappointed. I have honestly no idea. Being extremely generous (and optimistic) it could be he's trying to gradually build up his fitness. More likely though is that he wanted to play that wanky 442 with a CM2 and didn't fancy Ndombele would be lively enough for it.

Back
Top Bottom