Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The main problem with loans is will he get games. Clarke has hardly played at 2 clubs this year. I vote for a loan as long as the club he goes to really needs him and therefore he gets games. Perhaps a time hard up for cash.

On this note, I wonder if we can do loans with cash-poor clubs and essentially say we’ll pay their wages IF they play but if they DON’T then they have to pay them?

needs to be loaned out, can't see him getting into first 11 as no real experiance
get a year in championship, but needs to be played as DM, not easy to DM spot in any team as normally only 1 spot, and its a position that needs experiance to do it well, so maybe we would only loan to championship team that are happy to be midtable, that way he will get match time

i know he only got 15mins on sunday, but to me he didn't look ready for first team football, hopefully he's sent out on loan to get mens football match time, otherwise can't see him being the player we need, yes he could be "OK" but we need better than "OK" for DM or CM

Surely Skipp would get opportunities in the cups and Europa so I think we could give him game time. If they decide to loan him out then I would like to see him play for a side that will give him regular minutes in the premiership. Having the option to recall Skipp if we get injuries would be preferable as well.

not sure he would get minutes in another PL side, he would have to go to Championship team to get enough minutes
Jose want's to win everything so can't see Jose giving enough minutes to young players, we already have enough senior players who don't get hardly ant minutes on the pitch without shoehorning young players in to the team,

The main problem with loans is will he get games. Clarke has hardly played at 2 clubs this year. I vote for a loan as long as the club he goes to really needs him and therefore he gets games. Perhaps a time hard up for cash.
If these players are going to be good enough for us then they SHOULD be capable of breaking into Championship sides, I know it's not always the case, Kane an obvious example, but if a player isn't good enough for QPR then most likely they aren't good enough for us.

We need to be loaning out our players earlier to the lower leagues and then having them progress up so that by 20, 21 they are experienced enough to go to the Championship before coming back here and hopefully breaking through, as used to happen with the likes of Pritchard, Kane, Townsend etc. If they aren't quite good enough for us then the experience and exposure should at least see them commanding some decent fees.

Fulham would be a nice loan for him.

I kinda like the idea of keeping him for the first half of the season as rotation for EL & LC then let him go out on loan for the business end of the season...

I kinda like the idea of keeping him for the first half of the season as rotation for EL & LC then let him go out on loan for the business end of the season...

So you'd prefer he potentially plays 11 games over the course of 5 months as opposed to playing 20 over the same period?

Fair enough.

I think the more competitive football he can play at his age the better for his development.

So you'd prefer he potentially plays 11 games over the course of 5 months as opposed to playing 20 over the same period?

Fair enough.

I think the more competitive football he can play at his age the better for his development.

Since when does Mid Sep > Jan 1st = 5 months? ...That's 3 1/2 months.

...You're also assuming he'll just plop straight in as a starter for a prem team?

...I Just think he could be some use to us early doors.

Since when does Mid Sep > Jan 1st = 5 months? ...That's 3 1/2 months.

...You're also assuming he'll just plop straight in as a starter for a prem team?

...I Just think he could be some use to us early doors.

If he isn't guaranteed first team football at said club - he shouldn't be loaned out to that club in the first place.

But there's absolutely no point keeping him just in the hope Jose plays him in some European games against Benteke Fried Chicken over sending him out on loan to a club that'll give him more game time, weekly, in a competitive league.

If he isn't guaranteed first team football at said club - he shouldn't be loaned out to that club in the first place.

But there's absolutely no point keeping him just in the hope Jose plays him in some European games against Benteke Fried Chicken over sending him out on loan to a club that'll give him more game time, weekly, in a competitive league.

This is the point exactly, with all our players we should aim to loan to the highest placed team where they will be a guaranteed starter. It’s better for these guys to be Championship starters than bit part Lower PL players at that stage of their development

This is the point exactly, with all our players we should aim to loan to the highest placed team where they will be a guaranteed starter. It’s better for these guys to be Championship starters than bit part Lower PL players at that stage of their development

For a player with next to no senior track record how can you expect a club to guarantee him a starting spot... Even in the champo?

We have a manager who is notorious for being awful at developing young talent - we should be looking to loan out all of our best youngsters to teams we KNOW they'll get games at and clubs who really show a keen interest.

Parrott being sent out to Millwall is a huge step in the right direction and you have to think the player himself knew Millwall was good for his development considering he apparently rejected Celtic to go there.

If we can't guarantee Tanganga minutes, he's more than good enough to get in pretty much all the teams in the Championship - get him a year there, 40+ league starts of competitive football each week and his development will come on leaps and bounds.

If you want the best depth for our Europa League matches, maybe.

If you want the best Oliver Skipp in three years, you go let him bed in and become a core contributor to a team from pre-season training at the age of 19.

There's no perfect, foolproof way to develop a player, but I do think one sin of the method of keeping young players on the fringes of the first team is that they calcify into their roles as background cameo players and don't really get to explore what they can be as senior professionals.

I'm a Harry Winks fan, but in some sense he's only ever become a rich man's version of the academy kid you bring on in the last half hour to play a simple, structured game.

I don't know if Skipp will become as quality and reliable of a player as Winks, but I think his game is more expansive than that of a ball recycler. If he wants to develop that it's better to be the looked-to number 8 in a bunch of roiling Champo games rather than the caretaker of a 4-0 lead against Dynamo Spellcheck.

If you want the best depth for our Europa League matches, maybe.

If you want the best Oliver Skipp in three years, you go let him bed in and become a core contributor to a team from pre-season training at the age of 19.

There's no perfect, foolproof way to develop a player, but I do think one sin of the method of keeping young players on the fringes of the first team is that they calcify into their roles as background cameo players and don't really get to explore what they can be as senior professionals.

I'm a Harry Winks fan, but in some sense he's only ever become a rich man's version of the academy kid you bring on in the last half hour to play a simple, structured game.

I don't know if Skipp will become as quality and reliable of a player as Winks, but I think his game is more expansive than that of a ball recycler. If he wants to develop that it's better to be the looked-to number 8 in a bunch of roiling Champo games rather than the caretaker of a 4-0 lead against Dynamo Spellcheck.

I get your point but....

a) As noted in my orig. post, I'm still keen to see him go on loan.

b) I'm not sure you're angle on Winks..... He's had shit loads of senior game-time.... I can't see how a loan would have been any better for him... The problem with Winks is that he picked up a nasty injury that we're told may never heal 100% and has since been forced to pretend to be a DM for roughly 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom