Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A handful of clubs were interested, but he chose Norwich, probably based on game time and their style of football and I think this could work out really well for all parties. Don't think this has anything to do with Aarons though.
With the amount of games we have to play, we should have been keeping him here, he would have more than enough games to show how good he is, i wish we kept the likes of Parrot and Skipp at the club and used them in the EL group games and then sent them out on loan in the next window.

With the amount of games we have to play, we should have been keeping him here, he would have more than enough games to show how good he is, i wish we kept the likes of Parrot and Skipp at the club and used them in the EL group games and then sent them out on loan in the next window.

They could end up playing 30+ game each by the end of the year. That's a lot more than they'd get here. Game time and experience is key at their stage of development.

Our business model is to make money.
Raise these English kids through the youth team, loan them out, if they look ok but not good enough, sell them.

I fully expect almost every young player coming through the ranks to fall into that bucket. There will be 1 Kane for every 100 other kids.

It often feels like there is an army of Spurs fans that think everyone will be the next starting 11 player.
Don't bank on Skipp and Parrot being the ones.

He should have done a year in the Championship last season. He'll get game time of course but he's better than the Championship. If we could shift Winks he should definitely stay.

He should have done a year in the Championship last season. He'll get game time of course but he's better than the Championship. If we could shift Winks he should definitely stay.

Under Premier League rules, a club can name no more than 17 overseas players in their 25-man squad. And in February, Mourinho selected just four homegrown players - meaning he could only have a squad of 21.

The Premier League deems a homegrown player as someone 'who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)'.

This meant that Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Harry Winks (all FA) and Ben Davies (FAW) qualified, which meant four spaces had to be left. Eric Dier remains non-homegrown in the Premier League list as he came from Sporting Lisbon's academy.

Why would we want to reduce our squad by letting one of only 4 homegrown players leave. But yes Skipp should also stay.

I think this is a good fit for Skipp. Norwich was in desperate need of someone to fill that role for them last year. People crapped on their defense for the amount of goals they gave up but if you watched them the center of their midfield was constantly wide open for players to run through and guys were constantly left wide open at the top of the box to run on late and score easy goals. Skipp should be able to step right in, help shore that up and likely play in a role that we would want for him going forward.

As for us needing him for games here, I think we have plenty of options in the MF already so as a team we should be ok and that playing regularly in the MF for a team in their league could be better for him than playing with a mixed group in Cup matches where there is less focus on training and working on specific things for those games as PL would obviously be the focus for us.

Hopefully this is a positive experience for him and he comes back next year ready to be a key player for us whether as a starter (unlikely) or off the bench as quality depth.

@TalkingTHFC
Norwich City have paid Tottenham Hotspur a loan fee in excess of £1million for Oliver Skipp. Spurs paid around £4million in loan fees for Gedson Fernandes, for some context on the fee. [Football Insider] #THFC

---------------------------------

If it's true that Norwich have paid over £1m in loan fees for Skippy, then he's going to get game time. It's an entirely different financial situation from our Gedson loan.

I wonder if Norwich get a discount if he plays a certain number of minutes? I think historically there have been penalty clauses in loan agreements if players didn't play regularly, so maybe this works the other way round too.

Anyway, good luck to Oliver Skipp. I actually wish we'd kept him as we'll have so many games, so close together, this season and I think he could have learnt a lot about what Mourinho wants from his C/DMs from being the squad option. But Norwich are probably a good team for him to be loaned to.

I think this is a good fit for Skipp. Norwich was in desperate need of someone to fill that role for them last year. People crapped on their defense for the amount of goals they gave up but if you watched them the center of their midfield was constantly wide open for players to run through and guys were constantly left wide open at the top of the box to run on late and score easy goals. Skipp should be able to step right in, help shore that up and likely play in a role that we would want for him going forward.

Yup, this seems like the perfect fit. Massive season for the lad ahead.

He's a player for the post Mourinho era, the 21/22 season in all liklihood. He stated in an interview on the Norwhich site:

"The style of play that Norwich like to play really suits my game. You saw in the Premier League that they didn’t change their style despite the results not going to plan. It’s a club that shows the right ambition and is looking to get back to the Premier League."

Farke is in the same mould of Klopp, Hasenhuttl, Nagelsmann etc. The polar opposite to Mourinho. We should be looking at that style of manager after Jose.

That's a good loan.

Norwich, whilst weren't cut out for Prem football, have a good squad for the Championship and look to play football the right way.

He's a player for the post Mourinho era, the 21/22 season in all liklihood. He stated in an interview on the Norwhich site:

"The style of play that Norwich like to play really suits my game. You saw in the Premier League that they didn’t change their style despite the results not going to plan. It’s a club that shows the right ambition and is looking to get back to the Premier League."

Farke is in the same mould of Klopp, Hasenhuttl, Nagelsmann etc. The polar opposite to Mourinho. We should be looking at that style of manager after Jose.

Stole my thoughts exactly. When Jose inevitably leaves, players like Skipp will be given a chance to play football.

There is something about Skipp that really gets me excited. Always looking to play it forward and has a bit of the Tiago/Busquets no look pass in him. He can do these really angled passes across his body. Great fit for him at Norwich.

Back
Top Bottom