Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Within a couple of seasons Skipp will be considered an Elite level DM, on a par with Kante at his peak. I've got no doubts about that. He's got qualities that simply can't be taught, and indeed every effort to teach them to Winks and Dier has failed. But he's got much more to his game as an attacking force, he carries the ball very well, with an excellent array of passing, though he can improve in that department, by developing his left foot more. He can become a player with the qualities of both Kante and de Jong.

Within a couple of seasons Skipp will be considered an Elite level DM, on a par with Kante at his peak. I've got no doubts about that. He's got qualities that simply can't be taught, and indeed every effort to teach them to Winks and Dier has failed. But he's got much more to his game as an attacking force, he carries the ball very well, with an excellent array of passing, though he can improve in that department, by developing his left foot more. He can become a player with the qualities of both Kante and de Jong.
Hold your horses. Lets see the kid become a starter at the top level before setting expectations of an elite DM, talk less of blending Kante+de jong. PL is several levels above the championship.

Important not to go overboard with this praise, but I think it's fair to assume that Skipp is the combination of Kante, de Jong, Makelele, Van Bommel, Pirlo, Carrick and Busquets. Every one of them have/had qualities that Skipp possesses, although they didn't reach the level Skipp will.

Ballon d'or 2024 I reckon, for starters.

Important not to go overboard with this praise, but I think it's fair to assume that Skipp is the combination of Kante, de Jong, Makelele, Van Bommel, Pirlo, Carrick and Busquets. Every one of them have/had qualities that Skipp possesses, although they didn't reach the level Skipp will.

Ballon d'or 2024 I reckon, for starters.
Half of the fighting cock:

"Doesn't score enough goals. Tired of watching him bumbling around with a 99.9% successful passing rate. Get rid"

We're pleading the 1882nd Amendment your honour
azEGRoZ_700b.jpg

I plead da fif

There's a danger that Skipp is going to be considered a boring player.

Every game is the same.

I know as he has played every game for Norwich - all 36 and I've seen parts of pretty much all of them.

Makes quite a few tackles, rarely not getting the ball, makes quite a few passes, often progressing the ball and play forward (although not afraid to pass ball sideways or backwards if its beneficial for his side), covers a shed load of ground and often covers up other players mistakes, whilst only rarely scoring or getting assists - I mean every midfield player should be scoring every game shouldn't they ?

Every couple of games will do a 'Holywood' type pass of 60 yards with perfect precision to another player in the right place to mount an attack on the opposition goal.

All with that seeming languid style, despite the amount of energy he must burn up covering the ground he does And rarely gives the ball away.

Going to be interesting to see how other PL sides try to deal with him next season - I think they will see bits of Gerrard, Modric and other midfield players he's based his style on - and whether Skipp needs to .adapt his game or PL needs to adapt to Skipp.

Back
Top Bottom