Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stop making out you’re incredibly astute and understand football on another level. It’s pretty simple you are in love with him and gloss over his faults. I will be honest and admit I loathe him and magnify his faults, that is the reality of our views.
Now you are just being delusional.

If all that drives your thinking are your feelings for Mourinho, that's your prerogative, but please don't project your sentimentality on to others.

Whether 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 we need 3 players that can regularly score goals from Son, Kane, Bale, Moura, Lamela & Dele. With 2 wb's that only leaves 2 more midfielders which should be Ndombele or Lo Celso & Holjberg or Skipp. If that happens I cannot see Skipp getting ahead of Holjberg.
If however the present system of 4 at the back I can see him playing much more with 3 out of Skipp, Holjberg, Ndombele & Lo Celso.
In a 3-5-2, we don't have to play any of Bale (probably going back to Madrid), Moura, Dele or Lamela cos that would make it a 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3

In a 3-5-2 the 3rd role is more suited to a CM than an AM and thus we would be better served with GLC or Ndombele in that role, and that frees up more opportunities for Skipp.

Playing higher up the pitch, both Ndombele and GLC are fully capable of contributing consistently to goals and assists.

When we see the likes of Declan Rice moving the ball from side to side this summer, Skipp will be quietly thinking he could do better. Hopefully he can rest up and hit preseason with a point to prove.

Let’s not pretend Rice is anything other than a quality player, makes us sound foolish.

He’s had the season Skipp has had in the premier league... clearly a level above for now.

Let’s not pretend Rice is anything other than a quality player, makes us sound foolish.

He’s had the season Skipp has had in the premier league... clearly a level above for now.
Rice deserves to be there, but I was thinking that in big tournaments England have too often been found out technically using players like him. Players well suited to the EPL, but not so much to slower paced tournament footy. We end up giving up too much possession and chasing shadows. As in WC semi vs Croatia or Holland in Nations League (when Rice played).

Winks is an example of a player that has performed well in an England shirt because he's comfortable on the ball and can move it nicely. Not a better player than Rice, but international footy suits him. Skipp offers most of what Winks can do, plus a bit more bite and drive, so there's a case for him if we want to try some young players. It would take a brave manager to promote him this early of course.

Can you give 3 instances where his poor play has specifically cost us?
I don't want to sidetrack the Skipp thread but Doc was our 1st choice RB at the start of the season and we were pretty much unbeatable.
He was RB for many of our recent wins with clean sheets and Doc made 2 assists. He has not been poor. We rarely lose when Doc starts.
Our results only began turning sour when Serge Aurier started giving away crazy free kicks and pens.
If a player outdoes a player by skill or speed I can accept that.
But not stupidity.
Give off chap. He’s shite and we’ll need to get rid.

I think we shouldn't mind hyping him a bit as he's ready for it. It's super impressive what he's achieved at Norwich, turning up as a 20 year old kid, and within a few weeks making himself undroppable. Just on a mental level, how many 20 years olds can do that? It speaks volumes about his mentality and toughness. And mentality makes an enormous difference at the top level. Kane is a prime example of that.

England do have some good young midfielders. Curtis Jones, Tom Davies, Rice, Bellingham. But it will be really interesting who emerges as the best of these. I think Skipp will be up there.
If only they have a top top manager.

Back
Top Bottom