Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This kid is the real deal. I'm gonna predict that he'll definitly make it as a PL footballer and it will hopefully be with us.

I think he'll surpass Dier as a DM before long, much more naturally suited to it. He's a bundle of action and energy that hunts down danger. I see a lot of similarities with Kante. He plays like a 20 something yet he's still 17. Got the perfect manager in Poch as well. I think he could be appearing on the subs' bench in PL games this season.

This kid is the real deal. I'm gonna predict that he'll definitly make it as a PL footballer and it will hopefully be with us.

I think he'll surpass Dier as a DM before long, much more naturally suited to it. He's a bundle of action and energy that hunts down danger. I see a lot of similarities with Kante. He plays like a 20 something yet he's still 17. Got the perfect manager in Poch as well. I think he could be appearing on the subs' bench in PL games this season.

I hope you're right however, let's not forget he was playing in a pre season friendly, is only 17 and could turn out to be shite.

I'd not heard of him till last night/this morning.

Nothing. I watched a few Vs videos of him after the game to get more of feel for the type of player he is, and Kante is he repeatedly reminded me of. It's astonishing he's just 17.

Then it is a bit early to make such statements. It’s preseason it means nothing - people were clamouring for Gergiou last summer and we never saw him during the season.

He definitely held his own against La Masia youth products who were all similar age to him.

Hopefully he gets more minutes against Milan. Hopefully some established names too. Would be a better experience for him.

Such a promising talent. Calm on the ball. Great range of passing. Covers the ground well and has great height and physique for his position

For those who knew nothing about Oliver Skipp before these pre-season games, he played most of the u18 games in 2016/17 despite still being a schoolboy so playing at least a year up, and followed up in last season 2017/18 by playing most of his games for the u21's (despite being a 16 year old at the start of the season), scoring his first u21 goal v Woolwich, and generally looking one of the most accomplished players on the pitch despite invariably being the youngest.

Almost certainly one of the most best players to come out of our academy in the last few years, although as a DM was without the benefit of the 'razzmatazz' that tends to accompany young forwards such as Edwards.

Plays as a DM mainly, although being able to cover as CB, but whilst doing all the standard DM stuff has a good range of forward passing, positional sense and understanding of what's going on around him in the game.

I'm not surprised at his performances in pre-seasson, although I wondered if he might be omitted from this pre-season as he's so young - but he's shown no signs of nerves against Roma or Barcelona and performed well. I'd hope now that Poch gives him some minutes for the first team this coming season, although its possibly a season too early he looks ready for it to me.

Can't believe this guy is 17 years old---traveling the world with the planet's best football team and bossing the midfield against Barca. When I was 17 I was hanging out in the Taco Bell parking lot doing stupid shit and desparately trying to get a girl to let me touch her boobs.

Nothing's changed. Off to get a chalupa.
:walkercry:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but was it Skipp who looked up and picked out N'Koudou (?) with a delightful pass/through ball at one point? Was the best piece of vision I saw all game.

Very impressed with Skipp. Didn't get bullied despite being 17 (though playing against kids will have helped in this regard) and given how much of a 'problem' position CM is starting to become, I really hope Poch starts considering him for substitute minutes/Carabou cup game time. If Wanyama's knee is fucked again then we may need him.

I was there last night and to be fair his performance was great but a bit in fits and starts and suits a highlights package, credit has to be given to Amos who was in there the full 90 and worked very hard

These are two talented young men, Skipp did show some magic though the run was electric

I was there last night and to be fair his performance was great but a bit in fits and starts and suits a highlights package, credit has to be given to Amos who was in there the full 90 and worked very hard

These are two talented young men, Skipp did show some magic though the run was electric
Amos is 10 months younger than Dele. Skipp is 17

From last year...

Behind the scenes in Dortmund: Why Skipp will be Pochettino's next Winks & more

Big things are being expected of 17-year-old Oliver Skipp by the academy coaches and in every way he is the perfect Pochettino player. He was playing in the UEFA Youth League last season as well.

On the pitch, the defensive midfielder is skillful, tactically intelligent, determined and never stops running and hassling the opposition. Despite his age - he only turned 17 in mid-September - he dominates much older midfield opponents in the club's U19 and U23 matches. He rattled the crossbar with a brilliant shot from distance in the first half at Dortmund.

Off the pitch, his maturity was clear. There were a couple of German football fans hanging around outside the changing rooms, looking for some selfies with the young Tottenham starlets.

Skipp stopped and spoke to one in particular for a while, asking the supporter plenty of questions about himself as well as he then began to clean his boots under an outdoor tap.

When that was done and it was time for him to leave, he asked a female member of the support staff if she needed help carrying some of the team's bags to the coaches. She declined, but it gave a glimpse of the type of player Pochettino wants at his club

Smooth lad.
:pochsmirk:

Absolutely, Dele is exceptional though, I just thought Amos deserved a shout too, in a kind of Ryan Mason kind of way, you know when Poch gets his hands on them every day at training they get much better.
Only thing that spooked me with Amos was some wayward passing in these last two games - the kind that really punishes you in the Premier League.

Then again, a lot of our players looked under par and N'Koudou made some even worse passes against Barcelona.

Back
Top Bottom