Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So good to cover ground when he sees open space. I've only watched 25 or so mins of the game but he's snuffed out 2/3 possessions in that time. An absolute gem.
I'm normally a bit sceptical about our youth as they get overhyped by us fans but its pretty clear he is levels above the likes of Carroll,Mason and Winks. Looks like a first team player to me. I'd be going after Buendia as well.

I'm starting to think lets go balls out to get a technical gifted deep playmaker. Pjanic from Barca and go Skipp and Ndombele. Let PHE understudy Skippy.
After seeing Kroos and Modric demolish the scousers tonight, made me think the same. I'd love us to get a top passing midfielder in. Maybe Modders could come back for a year.

In the end, perhaps our best chance of a winning team is one that respects the style of our best teams.

Last edited:
Ready to takeover from iceberg next season.
I wouldn't be suprised. He looks better technically.
More energetic and better awareness too.
That run from deep ...PHE don't even dream about pulling that out
I'm starting to think lets go balls out to get a technical gifted deep playmaker. Pjanic from Barca and go Skipp and Ndombele. Let PHE understudy Skippy.

Sorry, but hold your fucking horses now, guys :D

Of course I hope Skippy will do brilliantly for us next season and for many seasons beyond.
But that is some massive hyperbole right here. He hasn't almost stepped a foot into EPL football just yet. Hate to break it to you, but almost this same Norwich who is flying high in Champo now was trashed like amateurs in EPL season.

It is quite obvious that Skipp has got consistent playing time and confidence now. And when he returns, he will be on different level when he departed. But to make conclusions based on a run against bottom third Champo team, that EPL ever-present and former Bayern player Hjojberg should be understudy to him. Sorry, but very massive overreaction. Never reasonable to put such pressure on youngster either. Let's take it reasonably and step by step and not set such expectations on him please.

it to you, but almost this same Norwich who is flying high in Champo now was trashed like amateurs in EPL season.
Yeah but he wasn't playing for them then was he?

Future Spurs and England captain, you read it here first

Hyperbole? My arse!!!

70ef3dabfeb946967768cbb327c8e2b5.png

Of course I hope Skippy will do brilliantly for us next season and for many seasons beyond.
But that is some massive hyperbole right here. He hasn't almost stepped a foot into EPL football just yet. Hate to break it to you, but almost this same Norwich who is flying high in Champo now was trashed like amateurs in EPL season.

It is quite obvious that Skipp has got consistent playing time and confidence now. And when he returns, he will be on different level when he departed. But to make conclusions based on a run against bottom third Champo team, that EPL ever-present and former Bayern player Hjojberg should be understudy to him. Sorry, but very massive overreaction. Never reasonable to put such pressure on youngster either. Let's take it reasonably and step by step and not set such expectations on him please.
Former Bayern player... Factually accurate, but a very poor argument.

He left Bayern after what, about 20 appearances in 4 seasons and to get a game he went to... Not Real Madrid or Barcelona but Southampton. Then he gets a transfer here not because he's the best about, not because we couldn't get better, he's here because he was "cut price".

And that's how he plays, like a cut price player.

Former Bayern player... Factually accurate, but a very poor argument.

He left Bayern after what, about 20 appearances in 4 seasons and to get a game he went to... Not Real Madrid or Barcelona but Southampton. Then he gets a transfer here not because he's the best about, not because we couldn't get better, he's here because he was "cut price".

And that's how he plays, like a cut price player.

Being former Bayern player was a sidenote, not main point of the post.
But as long / short as aguments go - yours is not too substantial either.
1) you are contradicting yourself - first off you claim like club names don't mean a thing, and after that you try to convince people that he is shit because he moved to Soton?!? Are you maybe saying that Mane and VVD are load of shit as well because they played for Soton at some point?
2) you just base your arguments on 2 statistical nubmers, but I happened to follow Bayern back when he was there and despite the fact he never made it as star-player there, he also never looked out-of-place, and played 1000 minutes of highest level football by the age of 20.

Obviously his contract situation played a part in getting him, but I have a news for you - we nor any other team in the world is not able to go only for players who are best in his position.

But you either have really-really bad memory or lack some basic understanding of football, cause PEH has actually done really well for us this season. Specially in 1st half of it. This run where we won ManCity and Gooners and drew with Chelscum - he was absolutely immense. And was everywhere. I agree that his perfomances in 2nd half of the season have dropped, but that can be said about every player incl Son and Kane. PEH has also played every single minute of every single EPL game. I hope that next season having Skippy here, this can change and we can allow them both reasonable workload.

Generally I would have nothing against it if Skippy would take over starting DM role from PEH. But right now one has shown very good performances against likes of City, Woolwich and Chelsea while other has played football in Championship. Skippy has lot more to prove as things stand.

Being former Bayern player was a sidenote, not main point of the post.
But as long / short as aguments go - yours is not too substantial either.
1) you are contradicting yourself - first off you claim like club names don't mean a thing, and after that you try to convince people that he is shit because he moved to Soton?!? Are you maybe saying that Mane and VVD are load of shit as well because they played for Soton at some point?
2) you just base your arguments on 2 statistical nubmers, but I happened to follow Bayern back when he was there and despite the fact he never made it as star-player there, he also never looked out-of-place, and played 1000 minutes of highest level football by the age of 20.

Obviously his contract situation played a part in getting him, but I have a news for you - we nor any other team in the world is not able to go only for players who are best in his position.

But you either have really-really bad memory or lack some basic understanding of football, cause PEH has actually done really well for us this season. Specially in 1st half of it. This run where we won ManCity and Gooners and drew with Chelscum - he was absolutely immense. And was everywhere. I agree that his perfomances in 2nd half of the season have dropped, but that can be said about every player incl Son and Kane. PEH has also played every single minute of every single EPL game. I hope that next season having Skippy here, this can change and we can allow them both reasonable workload.

Generally I would have nothing against it if Skippy would take over starting DM role from PEH. But right now one has shown very good performances against likes of City, Woolwich and Chelsea while other has played football in Championship. Skippy has lot more to prove as things stand.
I contradict myself?? I think you need to read both your posts again. It's you that used Bayern as a selling point not me. If you think going from Bayern to Southampton is progression similar to Celtic or Salzburg to Southampton, you are wrong.

I contradict myself?? I think you need to read both your posts again. It's you that used Bayern as a selling point not me. If you think going from Bayern to Southampton is progression similar to Celtic or Salzburg to Southampton, you are wrong.

Never used this as selling point... it was just a sidebar mention that you blew out of proportion. Though there are many instances when players take step back and then forth. Like Salah ->Chelsea-> Roma to Liverpool. de Bruyne-> Chelsea-> Werder->City.

My main point is - Hjojberg helped us to get wins against City and Woolwich and draw with Chelsea in 3 game run in and has been everpresent for us in EPL this season.
Skipp made a darting run against Championship bottom half team and has been almost ever-present for Championship side.

Perspective, try to get some.

Skipp is playing in a league that most pundits agree is the weakest and most uninspiring second tier football in living memory.
And yet in everyones desperation he is hailed as the new Hoddlescoignluka

After seeing Kroos and Modric demolish the scousers tonight, made me think the same. I'd love us to get a top passing midfielder in. Maybe Modders could come back for a year.

In the end, perhaps our best chance of a winning team is one that respects the style of our best teams.
would love to have modric back. best player weve ever had imo. true midfield icon of the game

I do worry a bit that we are building Skipp up too much.

I like the kid. He’s got a good skill set, good character, doesn’t flap, tenacious, seems a decent reader, decent enough technically, HG, zero cost, but I think he’s like a Scott Parker at best - and that would be a really decent and useful thing for us, especially after some of the turds we’ve had masquerading as midfielders last couple of years.

But if we build him up too much, and people start expecting we’ve produced the Chingford Marcus Senna, they are going to be a bit disappointed and start getting on the kid’s case.

Back
Top Bottom