Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Links to these reports? Never heard any of this.

Championship has the 6th or 7th highest league wage bill in the world. Most of the top leagues in Europe are not that good and no top tier league outside of Europe is better than the Championship.
Ok, if it makes you happy to believe that.

Depends what you mean by better, but in terms of quality, what about the Brazilian and Argentine leagues? I don't follow either closely, but they have tradition, passionate support and still churn out good young players. Ciro Ciro or anyone who watches these leagues, care to comment? I remember watching some fantastic games in Argentina years ago when the likes of Riquelme, Aimar and Cambiasso were coming through. Standard seemed pretty high then.

I hadn't thought of Championship as that competitive, but I remember Mourinho saying something similar when we signed Rodon - that he'd already proved himself at a good level. He may even have compared it favourably to the Eredividse.
I agree with you, I think it depends.

Obviously if you consider the amount of talent in Brazilian and Argentinian football, you could say that Brazilian and Argentinian leagues have more quality than the Championship - especially because sometimes (if not most times) the next best players in England are already in the big clubs youth system (rather than playing for one of the Championship sides). However, if you´re talking about which competition is closer to the football played in Europe´s top leagues, than it´s definitely the Championship. The football is tactically and physically more demanding, etc. Brazilian football right now is a mix between very young and talented players, very experienced and 'past their best' players, and mediocre/not good enough players in their mid 20´s - the majority. Football played in Brazil is basically a third division of Brazilian football.

P.S: I grew up in the 90´s; I´ve seen Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo and Djalminha playing together in the same team; Juninho Paulista (Boro, Atletico), Juninho Pernambucano (Lyon) and Romário also; Brazilian football then was not just better than the Championship; it was one of the best leagues in the world - behind Serie A and La Liga.

Good times... But it´s all over now.

Last edited:
eful to us, I'd be pretty happy if he just turned out to be another Scott Parker to be honest.
He had a very good career that would have been even better if he'd chosen his next club after Charlton a bit more wisely. Chavs with Makalele and Lumpard in situ meant he'd have to rely on injuries and League cup to get games. He'd have been absolutely brilliant for us, but hard to see us shelling out 10m and that salary.

Back to the point, Skipp getting to that level would be very good for all. I don't see why he couldn't. Parker got quite a few injuries, touch wood Skipp avoids the worst of them.

Some of the clubs were still premier league when we bought the players you mentioned. But your point was valid, if a little loose on detail.
true, but they all played in the championship.... look at Leicester’s 11/West Ham.. we should aim to sign the bets two champ players every season. Low agent fees, low wages, high resale. It’s a no brainier rather than shuffling through the French league for value.

We need some youth and energy this summer, big time - we have enough match winners, we now need a Mings and a Bowen

true, but they all played in the championship.... look at Leicester’s 11/West Ham.. we should aim to sign the bets two champ players every season. Low agent fees, low wages, high resale. It’s a no brainier rather than shuffling through the French league for value.

We need some youth and energy this summer, big time - we have enough match winners, we now need a Mings and a Bowen
Spurs have played tier 2 as well

Luka Modric reveals he wants to leave Tottenham for Chelsea

Pretty much he wanted to go there, Levy refused to sell. A year later he went to Madrid but if he'd got his way he'd have gone to the Russians.
that is a shame. it was painful watching a player of that quality surrounded by some of the shit we put out there with him. that was the time for lewis to invest in the team, where we would be now if we spent when we had him and bale who knows! glad he went to spain, shame it wasnt barcelona though as the football they would of played with xavi, inistea, modric and messi would of been ridiculous...guarantee if that happened barca would have most CL titles by now too..33 mill was an absolute bargain

its the league below the top league
ex Div 1
now prem league

in our day it was called 2nd Division.
So the division known as the championship for the last twenty+ years? What’s your point about Spurs dropping into the then second division? I’m well aware of that, older heads speak fondly of that season in 77/78?

So the division known as the championship for the last twenty+ years? What’s your point about Spurs dropping into the then second division? I’m well aware of that, older heads speak fondly of that season in 77/78?
God knows why, we only made it out by the skin of our teeth. The standard of football was bollocks as well. I really thought we'd go straight back.
There are some good players in that division, but by and large they are there because thats their level. If you want ready baked footballers generally speaking you need to harvest them from top tier leagues, or grow your own

Back
Top Bottom