Origin of a cockerel on the badge?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The reason I am a passionate supporter of Spurs is the cockerel. My last name means rooster in Spanish. My family are obsessed with the name - we have rooster things everywhere. That’s why I am a passionate Tottenham supporter for life!

The reason I am a passionate supporter of Spurs is the cockerel. My last name means rooster in Spanish. My family are obsessed with the name - we have rooster things everywhere. That’s why I am a passionate Tottenham supporter for life!
Excellent story, cock!

I've been referred to as, 'you cock' many times, but it's not my surname.

giphy.gif

The lampost is across the road from the spurs shop, shown here.

Seeing as we're re-visiting this thread (how very 'close season') I'm pretty sure the very Lampost John Motson picked to do his piece to camera had more to do with the fact it had the stadium in the back of shot, rather than being the ACTUAL lampost they convened under... I might be wrong, but it all seems a bit convenient.

More likely it's the lamppost nearer the Church(?) Cricket Club they all belonged to!

An article appeared in this weekend’s Sunday Express, you might not have read it, but you may well, like me and many others, caught sight of the unattributed screenshot doing the rounds on social media platforms.

A long stare at search engine results revealed nothing, and nor did PETA have anything on their website about the piece. So this morning I rang PETA, who advised me that Eugene Henderson, had been in touch, on behalf of the Express and asked the organization for comment. PETA kindly emailed me the statement.

Understandably, PETA was never going to condone anything that might be related to ‘sport’ that was as barbaric as it was illegal. Elisa Allen, PETA’s director, condemned the badge, which does hark back to less enlightened times, when spurs were attached to cockerels.

The Tottenham Hotspur FC logo, a fighting spur on a cockerel’s leg, calls to mind the violence of cockfighting – in which razor-sharp spurs are tied to a bird’s feet to make fights bloodier and gorier.
The birds forced to fight sustain broken wings and legs, punctured lungs, severed spinal cords, and gouged-out eyes – they cut each other to death.
The blood sport was banned in England in 1835, almost 50 years before the Spurs team was founded, so it’s past time for the logo to be updated and the spur to be removed. Doing so would reflect society’s rejection of needless violence.
Elisa Allen, Director PETA UK
So why was this story not run online?

I take a view that it was the clearly mischievous intent, and one could equally spark damning reactions, by asking certain organizations for a view on things that had a dark edge to them.

The name of the band, ‘Joy Division’ strikes me as one that would be problematic for some to see in record stores or on t-shirts (Google is your friend), But I won’t be phoning the CST for a quote.

For me, it’s a big leap to associate Tottenham Hotspur Football Club with the subliminal endorsement of something as fundamentally nasty as cock cockfighting. So whilst I appreciate PETA’s stance, the world has more pressing issues than looking for problems where none exist. THFC does football, and Chirpy was built for hugs, not tear-ups.

Along with the Y word business, this is simply more from the same people that want to pull down statues and de-platform folks they don’t like very much.

The Express, part of Reach PLC. Need I say more…

Back
Top Bottom