Other matches Fred - 2019/2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Ward-Prowse penalty was the fucking same, he jumps into Gomes. The issue isn't the VAR process, it's the referees who have the use of it, failing to use it to correct clear and obvious mistakes.

It's like the their brief is to avoid making the pitch refs look inept - and so they can keep the stats down of how many shit decisions of pitch refs that VAR puts right.

English refs and VAR are literally bent.
What can be done about it?
Nothing, I suppose.
Who do you complain to?
1*Ot0nib9AYJcvpkfCGMHGpg.png

And the Ward-Prowse penalty was the fucking same, he jumps into Gomes. The issue isn't the VAR process, it's the referees who have the use of it, failing to use it to correct clear and obvious mistakes.

It's like the their brief is to avoid making the pitch refs look inept - and so they can keep the stats down of how many shit decisions of pitch refs that VAR puts right.

In turn then, that's not strictly the refs themselves, but the way VAR is being (ab)used... So yeh, it is the 'process'.

"Clear & Obvious" is bullshit.

See below what Stoke's manager said of Leeds. It is nearly exactly the same Howe said of us 3 years ago.

I am not advocating Bielsa but hunger only lasts so long without the taste of success and even then it can dull and dim.

Look at our side yesterday. Where there was once fear there is now chuckling and amazement.

We are so fcuking stale it's embarrassing.

------------------------------------------------

I'd be very surprised if they don't go up. They're the best team we've played. We couldn't deal with them physically.

"(Bielsa) has done an amazing job. Two years of work here and you can see that in the team.

"They're hungry players. That's key and we are a long, long way from where they are. It will take time to change that.

In turn then, that's not strictly the refs themselves, but the way VAR is being (ab)used... So yeh, it is the 'process'.

"Clear & Obvious" is bullshit.

But it's the human element, particularly the self serving way it's being applied in the PL, by the PL referees that's the flawed part of the process.

All VAR is, is an opportunity for a fully qualified PL (etc) referee to have another look at incidents. So the process (with regards to pens) should be:

1. Incident
2. Pitch ref decision
3. VAR referee reviews
4. VAR ref confirms/changes the decision if a clear and obvious mistake is made by pitch ref

That's how it's generally applied around Europe.

But the PL aren't applying that. They are applying:

4. VAR ref doesn't change the decision if he can make any kind of case for the pitch ref making the mistake in the first place, regardless of if it's clear a mistake has been made, because it's more important they don't undermine their own "role and authority" in the game than the correct decision is made.

But it's the human element, particularly the self serving way it's being applied in the PL, by the PL referees that's the flawed part of the process.

All VAR is, is an opportunity for a fully qualified PL (etc) referee to have another look at incidents. So the process (with regards to pens) should be:

1. Incident
2. Pitch ref decision
3. VAR referee reviews
4. VAR ref confirms/changes the decision if a clear and obvious mistake is made by pitch ref

That's how it's generally applied around Europe.

But the PL aren't applying that. They are applying:

4. VAR ref doesn't change the decision if he can make any kind of case for the pitch ref making the mistake in the first place, regardless of if it's clear a mistake has been made, because it's more important they don't undermine their own "role and authority" in the game than the correct decision is made.

Perhaps I'm being dumb, but lets assume that is in fact the written directive (rather than you riffing), how is that down to the ref in the box if that's what the higher authority driving the system are instructing them to do?

(I tend to agree with you in terms of your assumption, but if that's what's going on then the refs are just doing what they are told.)

Perhaps I'm being dumb, but lets assume that is in fact the written directive (rather than you riffing), how is that down to the ref in the box if that's what the higher authority driving the system are instructing them to do?

(I tend to agree with you in terms of your assumption, but if that's what's going on then the refs are just doing what they are told.)

No, that's what I'm saying, I think it is a directive and it's bollocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom