Other matches Fred - 2019/2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky-gif-11.gif

Giroud's is offsides and I don't think most have a problem with it. The problem is the 'armpit offsides'. They are attempting to extract a level of precision beyond the instrumentation and methodology.

This objection was brought out even before the implementation and England had a full year to see and address the problems experienced elsewhere. Yet, somehow they have contrived to still be the worst IMO of all the big leagues. If you planned you couldn't come up with better way of discrediting VAR.

Just 2 weeks ago they said refs would go to the monitors for red card offenses...they still do not do it. It is incompetence that strikes at the integrity of the game.

I just think it's as good/accurate as it can be right now and is applied without subjectivity - and that will do for now, and will improve as technology improves with it hopefully. I don't give a shit about using any part of the body that's legit as long as it's used for everyone.

I agree with much of the rest, except I don't want the pitch side monitor at all. Just trust the VAR ref, he's a proper PL ref, he's looking at slow mo replays, and my experience elsewhere of it is that once a VAR ref calls a ref to look at the monitor, he very rarely doesn't go along with the VAR ref and change things anyway, so why do we need the monitor - we just need the VAR refs to be better directed (better rules and direction of how to apply them) and make better, less bullshit subjective decisions.

I just think it's as good/accurate as it can be right now and is applied without subjectivity - and that will do for now, and will improve as technology improves with it hopefully. I don't give a shit about using any part of the body that's legit as long as it's used for everyone.
There's a lot wrong in here BC. Firstly precision and accuracy are two different things but mostly the utilization of an armpit relative to when a ball is kicked on less than 60fps is a silly standard to base these things. What is the margin of error on that frame rate? Significantly more that they are trying to get with these armpit lines. Utilizing the naked eye with the replay video would be a reasonable standard as well as instituting a 'not sufficient evidence to overrule the on-field call'. If only there were other sports utilizing instant replay for 50 or so years where VAR could have picked up some pointers we'd be better off.

Just trust the VAR ref, he's a proper PL ref,
Do you see the problem with this reasoning? I mean, now that it's on the page to read back to yourself.

and my experience elsewhere of it is that once a VASR ref calls a ref to look at the monitor, he very rarely doesn't go along with the VAR ref and change things anyway, so why do we need the monitor
In Germany the VAR doesn't make a call. They just tell the ref to go have a look. And I'm sure 'your experience' or anyone else's is too small a sample size to base these things on.

we just need the VAR refs to be better directed (better rules and direction of how to apply them) and make better, less bullshit subjective decisions.
Yes, the refs need to be better directed and smarter but shitty implementation from the FA or PL isn't helping them. No other (top 5) league has had this tough a time.

Still don't know why there just aren't more on-field refs (mostly linespeople), more eyes from more angles and not interfering with the flow of play. They do it during CL they should do it during the league...that is, if they really cared about the integrity of the product and not the resulting drama...or if your gambling was run by the mob, just sayin.

Mcguire....

VAR allegedly claims: "Not enough thrust or real intent"

(*whatever real intent means.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom